Winter wheels....18" or 19"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Winter wheels....18" or 19" in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I read a number of threads on full winter setups. There don't seem to be many that winter their cars ...
    MacBuster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Winter wheels....18" or 19"

I read a number of threads on full winter setups. There don't seem to be many that winter their cars here. But for those that do....

There seemed to be some debate about whether 18" wheels would fit on a V. Is anyone running 18"? For winters I would rather go down to 18 (or even 17") with a larger sidewall.

There are many benefits to a smaller winter wheel: damage, price, clearance, etc.

Anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ingram4868 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Winter wheels....18" or 19"

You might take a look at the TireRack website. I think they have a calculator to give you options for replacement wheels and tires. I would assume the brake calipers are the limiting factor.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

I have 18" track wheels. They are 9.5" wide all around but they do clear the calipers. I don't know how narrow you can go, but some 18s do work...

17s, however, will NOT work...

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Real men drive these all year round! I found some 18s that fit just fine and there is a bigger, and cheaper, selection of tires also. I went with 18" x 8" Modas myself, and run Continental DWS. Excellent in the deep snow.

I'm definitely looking for cheap wheels. They get beat up in winter.

Tirerack doesn't seem to show ANY that fit, however!

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Eh, I just use stock wheels with stock size winter tires. The wheels do just fine when you keep them clean. Some put narrower tires on the rears for the winter (255 all around). 18's with more sidewall are probably better, though.

There are lots of us who winter this car. Your thread is simply the vanguard for the literally dozens of threads on this topic that will appear between now and the first snowfall. A search (which it looks like you've already started) will reveal all.

Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
    Eh, I just use stock wheels with stock size winter tires. The wheels do just fine when you keep them clean. Some put narrower tires on the rears for the winter (255 all around). 18's with more sidewall are probably better, though.

There are lots of us who winter this car. Your thread is simply the vanguard for the literally dozens of threads on this topic that will appear between now and the first snowfall. A search (which it looks like you've already started) will reveal all.
    I blame the search function, then. Certainly there has been very little discussion about the viability/model of 18" wheels that can fit on the car. I would rather get 18s for the winter...my thread was rather specific to that. A search revealed only limited discussion of this specific issue.
    neuronbob and neuronbob like this.

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

My winter tires (Pirelli Sottozeros) are the stock, staggered sizes on a 2nd set of OEM rims. They are great in the winter and in a pinch, I have a spare tire that I can use temporarily for each corner of the car.

Best regards,

Elie

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

I had to drive there, test fit them, and they still wouldn't add it to their list. I got some that were made to fit my Pontiac G8, and they work just great. They're also all the same, so I can rotate them too.

Quote Originally Posted by MacBuster View Post
    I blame the search function, then. Certainly there has been very little discussion about the viability/model of 18" wheels that can fit on the car. I would rather get 18s for the winter...my thread was rather specific to that. A search revealed only limited discussion of this specific issue.
    Never search within this site. Search google and then just look for cadillacforums.com specific responses...

I like the idea of stock wheels with winter tires...but you give up a ton of winter performance by having 285 tires on the rear. I would want as narrow tire as practical back there.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Never search within this site. Search google and then just look for cadillacforums.com specific responses...
    Good advice.

sca13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V

I have been doing some research on this subject lately because I plan on driving my V all winter this year (2012 - 13). Both Tire Rack and my local high end tire dealer tell me to run the front tire size (255) on all four stock rims. My only question is which tire. I have it narrowed down to the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 or the Pirelli Sottozero's ??????

Scooter is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm researching the same question because I have 245/45/18 snow tires already from my old car. There are guys on here that have put on TSW Nurburgring rims, MSR's, and DR-37's in 18 inch sizes. Also, the corvette C6 or Z06 wheels will also fit, but for the vette the 18 inch sizes are front only. You need a 40+mm offset and a 5x120 bolt pattern. Some guys have mentioned using hub ring adapters but I don't know which wheels require that. It would be great if we had a sticky on here with a list of the 18's that people have put on without issue, along with the spec's of each wheel to be sure.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.