Replacing brake pads
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Replacing brake pads in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; If you were replacing your brake pads which brand and type would you chose?...
    thunder gray is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

Replacing brake pads

If you were replacing your brake pads which brand and type would you chose?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

Re: Replacing brake pads

^^^ - I've got a set of Hawk Ceramics waiting for when my oem pads wear out. Trying to reduce the dust a little, although I hear that the ceramics may not stop as well - we'll see ... ?

Rob

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I'm using these and love them so far. Bear in mind I don't track or drive the piss out of it. Less dust than stock and damn near as much bite. Good alternative for me and my driving style.

Posi Quiet semi-metallic brake pads - rear (D1053)
    Posi Quiet semi-metallic brake pads - front (D1405)

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

I like the stock feel and I don't race my car, so....stock for me even with the dust. I just use a dust repellent on the wheels.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by RapidRob View Post
    ^^^ - I've got a set of Hawk Ceramics waiting for when my oem pads wear out. Trying to reduce the dust a little, although I hear that the ceramics may not stop as well - we'll see ... ?

Rob
    I have the Hawks Ceramics. I honestly can't tell a difference between them and the Cmax pads I had on the black car. Maybe Pedal feel is a tiny bit better, but it still brakes worse, they have a wooden feel and I wouldn't use them in an HPDE or to try to stop the car from near VMAX. * actually* the Hawks have a metal shim the Cmax pads didnt. The shim has anti-sequel grease backing which causes the shim to float around the pad and I have to prop it up every so often so it's not hitting the rotor.

Not sure if I prever the occasional noise from the Cmax over having to adjust the shim every month.

Was it worth the extra $$$? Not so far, if you want a low-dusting pad, save yourself $200, just pickup any of the knock-offs and don't go crazy trying to stop from 150+MPH.

4DoorV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black
    Also using Cmax. Good feel, very similar to stock once they get some wear, and very low dust. absolutely no noise, i did put some brake quiet on shims.

jzchen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Sedan de Ville, '10 CTS-V

Duralast Gold Cmax has a $10 rebate going on right now. So that's $64.99 on pads you can get replaced free for the rest of your life as long as you don't wear them down to the plate.

r1concepts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hawks or Stoptech pads if you tend to drive a bit more aggressive. Or go with Posi Quiet Ceramics if your an "average" drive since you do get low dust and low noise but not much stopping power compared to the Stoptechs or Hawks.

jessrayo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

I'm on the 3rd set of pads but run my car on the track. If you don't track it, get the ceramic pads. If you plan on running it on track days you need some upgrades beyond the pads. I see you are in California and you probably could run in some of the Cadillac events. Warning, track driving is highly addictive...

boplaw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by r1concepts
    Hawks or Stoptech pads if you tend to drive a bit more aggressive. Or go with Posi Quiet Ceramics if your an "average" drive since you do get low dust and low noise but not much stopping power compared to the Stoptechs or Hawks.
    Has Stoptech started making the fronts? I could only find rears a few months ago. Installed the Hawks before I tracked the OEMs, but I did not like the Hawks on the track so I will either try Stoptechs or put my OEMs back on.

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I have the Hawks Ceramics. I honestly can't tell a difference between them and the Cmax pads I had on the black car. Maybe Pedal feel is a tiny bit better, but it still brakes worse, they have a wooden feel and I wouldn't use them in an HPDE or to try to stop the car from near VMAX. * actually* the Hawks have a metal shim the Cmax pads didnt. The shim has anti-sequel grease backing which causes the shim to float around the pad and I have to prop it up every so often so it's not hitting the rotor.

Not sure if I prever the occasional noise from the Cmax over having to adjust the shim every month.

Was it worth the extra $$$? Not so far, if you want a low-dusting pad, save yourself $200, just pickup any of the knock-offs and don't go crazy trying to stop from 150+MPH.
    Quote Originally Posted by boplaw View Post
    Has Stoptech started making the fronts? I could only find rears a few months ago. Installed the Hawks before I tracked the OEMs, but I did not like the Hawks on the track so I will either try Stoptechs or put my OEMs back on.
    Hmmmm - I may have to rethink installing the Hawks. oem pads do work good and the dust repellant also works good, soooo ....

Rob

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Duralast also, except for the track. I love them and they stop just fine in the city and in the winter. M5, I just ground those corners on the shim down a tad so they wouldn't rub.

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Way back when, Dreamin' had prepared a nice step-by-step tutorial for replacing brake pads on the V1 brakes; this is still part of the 2004-2007 FAQ. Basically popping out the pins, compressing the calipers, and popping in the new pads. Is it basically the same process for the bigger V2 brakes? Anything special that one needs to know or to buy (besides good pads)?
    CVP33 and CVP33 like this.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 6104696 View Post
    Way back when, Dreamin' had prepared a nice step-by-step tutorial for replacing brake pads on the V1 brakes; this is still part of the 2004-2007 FAQ. Basically popping out the pins, compressing the calipers, and popping in the new pads. Is it basically the same process for the bigger V2 brakes? Anything special that one needs to know or to buy (besides good pads)?
    I would like to know as well. I did 10 sets of pads and 6 sets of rotors on my SRT8. Easiest brakes I've ever done. Hoping the V's are similar.

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

Pretty sure you push out (tap out with awl and hammer) two pins, remove pad clip and the pads come out the top of the caliper, use your hands to manually push in all the pistons and slip in new pads put clip back in and tap in two pins. Viola Done (probably should bleed calipers) Pretty sure the order is readily available on line. Right rear, right front, left rear left front (not sure on inner or outer bleeder order)
    CVP33 and CVP33 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.