Replacing brake pads - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Replacing brake pads in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by jzchen Duralast Gold Cmax has a $10 rebate going on right now. So that's $64.99 on pads ...
    SoonerSpeedFreak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V CRYSTAL RED, GREY, AUTO, ALL OPTIONS

Re: Replacing brake pads

Quote Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
    Duralast Gold Cmax has a $10 rebate going on right now. So that's $64.99 on pads you can get replaced free for the rest of your life as long as you don't wear them down to the plate.
    I got the new "free" rotor's from GM when they offered them as the click fix. I bought the Duralast Gold Cmax and had the dealer install them. I don't race. I can't tell any differnce. They work and stop great. I am pretty sure they have less dust. That is what I was looking for. Less dust. Huge savings was just a bonus.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    Pretty sure you push out (tap out with awl and hammer) two pins, remove pad clip and the pads come out the top of the caliper, use your hands to manually push in all the pistons and slip in new pads put clip back in and tap in two pins. Viola Done (probably should bleed calipers) Pretty sure the order is readily available on line. Right rear, right front, left rear left front (not sure on inner or outer bleeder order)
    That's great! Same as the SRT8's which makes sense as they're both running brembos. For the record I hate the posi-quiet pads. They're soft and brake poorly. I'll deal with the brake dust rather than give up the bite of a good pad. Bendix semi-metallics were the hot ticket for the SRT's and less than half the price of the dealer replacements.

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    That's great! Same as the SRT8's which makes sense as they're both running brembos. For the record I hate the posi-quiet pads. They're soft and brake poorly. I'll deal with the brake dust rather than give up the bite of a good pad. Bendix semi-metallics were the hot ticket for the SRT's and less than half the price of the dealer replacements.
    Stock V pads are great for the street, Brake dust is easy to deal with if you use armor all wheel protectant, AAWP is a miracle........

Teutonaddict is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 6MN Vagon OBM

Quote Originally Posted by 6104696 View Post
    Way back when, Dreamin' had prepared a nice step-by-step tutorial for replacing brake pads on the V1 brakes; this is still part of the 2004-2007 FAQ. Basically popping out the pins, compressing the calipers, and popping in the new pads. Is it basically the same process for the bigger V2 brakes? Anything special that one needs to know or to buy (besides good pads)?
    There is one additional bolt than the V1 instructions show, cannot remember the size, but 10mm rings a bell. Other than that, the process is identical to the V1 swap.

FWIW, I have been running the posi-quiets and LOVE the difference in dust, with a marginal reduction in cold bite. Overall stopping performance is on par, however. I do have a set of Hawk ceramics that I'm planning to swap to, to see if I can replicate the low-dust and improve the cold bite/pedal feel.

If not, I'll just PlastiCote my wheels black, go back to stockers, and say SCREW the factory brake dust! Can't argue with the factory pads, performance-wise, for the street!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Teutonaddict

There is one additional bolt than the V1 instructions show, cannot remember the size, but 10mm rings a bell. Other than that, the process is identical to the V1 swap.

FWIW, I have been running the posi-quiets and LOVE the difference in dust, with a marginal reduction in cold bite. Overall stopping performance is on par, however. I do have a set of Hawk ceramics that I'm planning to swap to, to see if I can replicate the low-dust and improve the cold bite/pedal feel.

If not, I'll just PlastiCote my wheels black, go back to stockers, and say SCREW the factory brake dust! Can't argue with the factory pads, performance-wise, for the street!
    I thought it was 13mm but I don't know for sure. Very easy, though...

Tampa2Dubai is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V Sedan

Im thinking of swapping the pads for Hawks DTC-30's for a track day ... can i leave the rears as stock pads and just change the fronts? or would that be inadvisable

Sorry for hijacking this thread slightly

RogersV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V, Crystal Red, Auto

Thumbs up Re: Replacing brake pads

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    I'm using these and love them so far. Bear in mind I don't track or drive the piss out of it. Less dust than stock and damn near as much bite. Good alternative for me and my driving style.

Posi Quiet semi-metallic brake pads - rear (D1053)
    Posi Quiet semi-metallic brake pads - front (D1405)
    Same here, they are just about dust free, very easy on the rotors, stop like stock and great mileage. And they're not over priced. Centric Posi Quiet Semi-matellic Brake Pads

http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/...nvi44afh61po43

jenlain is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 Vagon

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa2Dubai View Post
    Im thinking of swapping the pads for Hawks DTC-30's for a track day ... can i leave the rears as stock pads and just change the fronts? or would that be inadvisable

Sorry for hijacking this thread slightly
    I recommend going with a track pad all around. I have been using DTC-30s front and rear this season and the rears had quite a bit of wear after each weekend. I think the stock pads would have failed quickly under those conditions.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I thought it was 13mm but I don't know for sure. Very easy, though...
    it's 13mm

The hardest part of the job is not chipping the powder coat, and maybe retracting the pistons. Unless you have the SST it's a bit of a pain.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

If you want the Centric ones, check out Amazon first; $50 front, $38 rear. I'm still leery about semi-metallic pads for wear, so I'll stick with the ceramics except for racing

So how bad are the rotors? The SRT8's were under $400 a set for comparison sake. But the Caddy's are bigger........and badder.......which usually translates to more expensive.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    So how bad are the rotors? The SRT8's were under $400 a set for comparison sake. But the Caddy's are bigger........and badder.......which usually translates to more expensive.
    Well, if you believe what the prices are that I heard when I got my new two-piece rotors they were almost $500.00 a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    Well, if you believe what the prices are that I heard when I got my new two-piece rotors they were almost $500.00 a piece.
    Sorry, apparently I passed out after reading your post.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

I just found that Centric makes front rotors for our cars, in the premium line. Black powder coated hub also, and only $118 shipped on Amazon. I'm getting a set of these to try before the GM ones. UPDATE: Only $115 on E-Bay, with a two-year replacement warranty. I may just get them earlier for the winter too. IT GETS BETTER AND BETTER TOO. THEY OFFER A 30-DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by CVP33

Sorry, apparently I passed out after reading your post.
    Luke has the 2 piece rotors in a front set in the $600s...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.