oil
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, oil in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; What kind of oil do u guys use?...
    captain slow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts-v

oil

What kind of oil do u guys use?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: oil

the slippery kind that's meant to go in my engine

don't use aircraft engine oil, motorcycle oil, train engine oil or tractor oil ... use car oil

but seriously, stick to what it says in your owners manual and don't worry about it

you're very close to starting a war
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Airfoto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Vagon & a 2008 Z06

Realize that the engine temp of this motor is higher then most - Mobil 1 - is pure junk, brakes down very quickly (them and Pennzoil have patents that say their synthetic oil is only a 50- 50 blend not pure) and doesn't maintain protection - I'm not sure how effective the Cadillac oil % rate is - I also have this system on my 08 Z06 and always change oil at 3000 to 3500 miles or 50% - it's timing - I use different fuild products - researched them for many months and have used them for many years!

You can use whatever you like it's your car and your $$$

Here's what I have in my 2011 CTS V Wagon and in my 2008 Z06 - Redline 5 - 30w in motor / Royal Purple 75 - 90 in rear end / ATE Blue and ATE 200 Brake fluids ( same fuilds just different color - making it easier when you bleed the system) / Trans fuild is actually the GM auto tranny fuild - seems to be the best for the auto - if you have a stick I use Royal Purple in my Z06.

DangFoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan: Black Diamond Tri-Coat
    Mobil 1 changed every 5K miles.

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

AMSOIL 5-30 Signiture.

Rob

TriTexan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Automobile?? Lake! Big Lake!!

Unless you are tracking the car or something else pretty extreme, the car has a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty if you use any oil that meets the owner's manual spec. While many people have their favorites and strong feelings one way or another, the fact is that you'd be hard pressed to be able to tell the difference between one oil and another under most circumstances in terms of how the car feels or drives. And the warranty is good regardless of the brand or flavor as long as it meets the designated spec.

Or as Chris noted, use car oil and you'll be good. Don't overthink your oil - there's a lot of other places these cars can use extra attention before you fret over the oil.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Walmart Super Tech fully synthetic when the reminder goes off.

curvedinfinity is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE
    Any dexos 1 oil. Mobile 1 is what I have because it is easy to find. I've heard penzoil platinum is the best walmart oil. An ester based oil like redline or motul should be the best though.

GM-4-LIFE is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

Since Cadillac changes the oil for FREE and I am leasing the car, AC Delco Synthetic Blend 5w30 Dexos 1 motor oil is what the dealer changes it with.

If I planned on keeping the car, I would only run Amsoil 0w30 or 5w30 Signature Series. My second choice would be Mobil 1 5w30.

Satin69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

Mobil 1 5w30. My shop uses the same. 5k miles is a good number for a synth. but track/spirited use will obviously require more regular attention.

Dogbreath is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

This is usually a religious war. I'm an electrical not a mechanical engineer, so if GM loads the car with Mobil 1 from the factory I figure that they have pretty thoroughly tested it since they warrant the engine for 100k. Who am I to think that I know better? Are there better oils - maybe - in fact probably. But the real question is how good is good enough. My MR-2 and Taco have used Mobil 1 since new. The MR-2 has 182k. The Taco 232k. Neither use oil. Seems like Mobil 1 has provided good enough protection.

GM-4-LIFE is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

Dogbreath,

2011 and up CTS-Vs are no longer factory filled with Mobil 1. They come from the factory with AC Delco Synthetic Blend Dexos 1 approved 5w30 motor oil.

2009 and 2010 CTS-Vs did come factory filled with Mobil 1 5w30.

Havasusteve is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 12 TG Sedan; SOLD

Motul 5-30 during the winter; 5-40 during spring-summer fall FTW (Its free )

Gonna change the rear diff to Royal Purple to see if it helps the Diff overheat issue

lowerd96 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Our V has the Dexos cap on the valve cover but they have filled it with Mobil 1 syn. so far on all 3 services...suits me just fine.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

I do what the owner's manual says because I don't track my car. The only deviation is that I change the oil when the DIC indicates 20%. That works out to 6000-7000 miles.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.