Issue: NAV not recognizing sent address and trying to use coordinates - anyone else?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Issue: NAV not recognizing sent address and trying to use coordinates - anyone else? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I've seen some related topics but can not find anyone else having this issue. When I send directions to my ...
    Phil Raymond is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V 2011 Coupe

Issue: NAV not recognizing sent address and trying to use coordinates - anyone else?

I've seen some related topics but can not find anyone else having this issue. When I send directions to my car from google or the iphone app, the car's navigation system can't locate the address on the map. So it tries to use coordinates that I have found to be miles off. The only fix is to have the directions sent to turn-by-turn.

Out of the 8 or so tries with sending directions to my car, only once has it found the actual address. And the addresses are always found by google or if I punch them into the NAV system myself. So seems like a bug to me but wondering why I haven't read of this issue (did one search on this site).

Oh, and I also wish that when sending directions from google maps that the car would pull them vs. me having to call onstar and have them pushed to the car when I start the car. But that is minor IMHO compared to the issue above.

So looking for others who use the "send directions to your car" with either google maps or iphone app (I've actually only tried the iphone remote app once for this).

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)

Re: Issue: NAV not recognizing sent address and trying to use coordinates - anyone el

I assume that is because your nav database needs updating, but it is curious that you don't have that problem when you enter the address yourself in the car. I frequently get coordinates from eNav bacuse my database is the 2008 version.

Jud
    Jud

itwepon2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Coupe

Re: Issue: NAV not recognizing sent address and trying to use coordinates - anyone el

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Raymond View Post
    I've seen some related topics but can not find anyone else having this issue. When I send directions to my car from google or the iphone app, the car's navigation system can't locate the address on the map. So it tries to use coordinates that I have found to be miles off. The only fix is to have the directions sent to turn-by-turn.

Out of the 8 or so tries with sending directions to my car, only once has it found the actual address. And the addresses are always found by google or if I punch them into the NAV system myself. So seems like a bug to me but wondering why I haven't read of this issue (did one search on this site).

Oh, and I also wish that when sending directions from google maps that the car would pull them vs. me having to call onstar and have them pushed to the car when I start the car. But that is minor IMHO compared to the issue above.

So looking for others who use the "send directions to your car" with either google maps or iphone app (I've actually only tried the iphone remote app once for this).

Thanks
    I have pretty much the exact same stats. I think it has only worked once in 8 tries with sending from the iPhone. The good news for me is that the coordinates it used were pretty much right on, so I didn't have any trouble finding where I was going. The addresses are in the Nav system, if you type it manually. So, it's most likely some bug. I'm in Canada, so I figured it's a US conversion thing.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

That happened to me once, but only while using the iPhone app to send the info to the nav screen. And it's not a matter of my db being out of date because it was my home address, which the nav has no problem finding when I use the nav interface to find it. It only said it failed and used coords instead when I sent the info from the iPhone app, which sort of points to OnStar's database being out of date rather than the car's db.

FLTRI is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Mine does it too. But, I just let it use the coordinates, and it ends up routing me right to the address I put in. It's not a database issue, most of the addresses I've put in are many years old, it's not a new address...

Phil Raymond is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V 2011 Coupe

Ok, so I'm not alone with this problem (yeah for me, bad for you...). I wish it was a db error but it isn't, then I could get a free new DVD. I suspect some type of incompatibility between the 'sender' and our car's NAV. The way the address is formatted in terms of coordinates is probably slightly different than what our cars NAV wants to see, to put it into an address. So it uses the raw LAT and LONG coordinates.

Only 1 out of 3 times has the coordinates been close enough for me to not use my phones GPS to find my way there...

Can we get some inputs from the GM representative who reads these forums? My free year of onstar is up next month and this seems like an obvious bug that should be fixed.

CTS-Vz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V
    Just DL a TomTom App on your smart-phone... The GPS on the V is pure crap. The only two settings are "Much longer route" and "Much more complicated route" and you have to pull over and put the car in park to do either!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.