FOB Inoperative
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, FOB Inoperative in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; What can i do if FOB battery dies and I am not near to a dealer, Is there a temporary ...
    mingobfotha is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts

FOB Inoperative

What can i do if FOB battery dies and I am not near to a dealer, Is there a temporary solution?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

nynd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 M5. SOLD:11 BD CTS-V, 6M, Loaded - SOLD:09 CTS-V (Auto)

Re: FOB Inoperative

Change the battery - I recall seeing a spot in the owners manual that shows you how to put a new $5 battery in.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Use the manual key also. It's a watch battery and less than $5 too. Like was said, follow the manual and go slow, or you'll break some small tabs in there.

Haze is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V Wagon

When I bought the thing, meaning the car, they said that if it got weak to key into the car with the metal key then place the fob in a slot in the center arm rest that would help it pick up the signal, but I have no idea if that was true or just smoke they were blowing my way.

tbauer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTSV Sedan 651HP/644TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Haze
    When I bought the thing, meaning the car, they said that if it got weak to key into the car with the metal key then place the fob in a slot in the center arm rest that would help it pick up the signal, but I have no idea if that was true or just smoke they were blowing my way.
    Yep that does work. You can't miss the slot that it fits into. I believe the same slot is used to program a new one also. As far as taking it apart it seems like your going to destroy the thing before it comes a part but just go slow and work your way around it. There is a small indention that you can use to start separating it. If I remember right if your looking at the fob its to the right of the trunk button not easy to see but you'll see it when it's apart. It take a 2032 or 2025 battery I can't remember.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Since it only needs to be 3' feet away to auto open and start the car, I don't see that. Did you get the message in the DIC?

CTS-Vz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V
    I dropped my FOB and it shattered a couple months ago. Looked like a watch battery and computer chip were on the inside. Dealership gave me a new one no cost

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I have opened the FOBs for both my 2009 CTS-V and 2008 DTS quite a few times for various reasons (broken FOB cases, battery replcement, etc.) with no problems.

The FOB needs to be within one meter (approx. 33 in. or 3 ft.) of the receiver to automatically unlock (that is why only the side that you are on is unlocked) or start the car. The use of the buttons on the FOB will work at a distance of 30 ft. or more. The receiver for the automatic open or start is located under the console, and that is why the little pocket in the console works well with weak batteries (it places the FOB only a few inches from the receiver). You should get a DIC message for a weak FOB battery, but that is not reliable and I would not depend on it.

The battery that goes in the FOB is not a watch battery. It is condsiderably larger and is 3 volts rather 1.5 volts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.