2013 Caddy powertrain warranty will be 6 year/70K miles, instead of 5 year/100K miles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By V Wagon
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 2013 Caddy powertrain warranty will be 6 year/70K miles, instead of 5 year/100K miles in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Just thought you would all like to know that Cadillac has changed their powertrain warranty from the 5 year/100K mile ...
    GM-4-LIFE is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade Premium

2013 Caddy powertrain warranty will be 6 year/70K miles, instead of 5 year/100K miles

Just thought you would all like to know that Cadillac has changed their powertrain warranty from the 5 year/100K mile warranty to 6 year/70K miles.

2007 to 2012 Cadillacs are covered under the 5 year/100K powertrain warranty and 2013 and up Cadillacs will be covered for 6 years/70K mile powertrain warranty. Basic warranty is still 4 year/50K miles and premium care is still also 4 year/50K miles.

Either way, I don't drive my V more than 10K miles per year, so it would take me at least 7 years to hit 70K miles, so it makes no difference for me, but I don't know how it will affect any of you that drive a lot that plan on buying a 2013 V.

In my case, I lease and I usually don't get into leases more than 24 months, so not really a deal breaker for me either way, unless I decide to buy and keep a Cadillac for a really long time.

I wonder if Cadillac was losing a lot of money on powertrain warranty claims. It sure seems like that to me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
    Sure sounds like less confidence in drivetrains or high warranty costs to me. Not a good thing for sure.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Maybe business is good enough that they can reduce their exposure and still remain competitive.
    Jud

V Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon-Raven Black, manual, satin graphite wheels

Re: 2013 Caddy powertrain warranty will be 6 year/70K miles, instead of 5 year/100K m

I'd rather have the extra year of coverage on a car I own as a fun car and not a DD. I know on my Lightning after almost 4 years I still hadn't hit the 36,000 miles but the warranty was done because it had been 3 years.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 2013 Caddy powertrain warranty will be 6 year/70K miles, instead of 5 year/100K m

Just to let you know, I'll check in on this thread when I return to the office Tuesday from the long holiday weekend. I really appreciate the feedback so far and am anticipating more will chime in over the weekend!

Thank you for your honest reactions & I hope you all have a good weekend,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

allinmyhead is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Seems like a smart move to me if they've identified that most of their customers drive fewer miles but keep the vehicle long-term. If the average ownership period is 6yrs at 10k miles per year, those people are now covered for an additional year. If the average ownership period is 5yrs at 12k miles per year, no impact. People who drive 15k year are impacted, but given the nature of the car, and the fuel mileage those people might be the minority. Maybe not on this forum, which probably constitutes .001% of total owners.

Myself, I'd rather have an extra year vs more mileage. I only do 10-12k year.

Reality is I suspect they're protecting themselves from 2nd and 3rd owners picking up lease returns.

Instead, I think Cadillac should have extended their powertrain warranty to 6 year/100K miles. It's psychological in the minds of potential buyers. I doubt many are going to keep their cars that long. Most people lease luxury vehicles and no more than 3 years, so really, Cadillac could have used this as an opportunity to entice new buyers by giving them a long powertrain warranty that they will never use. It would all be for marketing and promotional purposes.

blkcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Actually it would be pretty dumb for gm Cadillac division to do that! Most people these days buy based on warranties and mpg because they demand value for their hard earned dollars. For most people buying a Cadillac is luxury not a necessity! That's why people tend to go with reliability rather than style like the Toyota camry or strong warranty like the hot selling Hyundai sonata and elantra. The ats will be a hot seller still but will probably lose a lot of sales based on the shorter warranty. At least by economically conscious people!

These days you have to offer a good warranty, especially with the perception that American cars aren't as good as their Japanese and German counterparts. If I was in GM's marketing department, I would propose to match Hyundai's warranty and call it a day! If you can give a potential customer a better car with the same warranty as a Korean brand, who would buy a freaking Hyundai? There would be no advantage that Hyundai would hold.

If I was going to buy a car and keep it for 10 years, I would be looking at warranties very carefully and right now Hyundai has the best warranty in the business, not to mention they are trying to take over the luxury segment with the Genesis and Equus. I see a ton of those on the streets.

GM should be worried about Hyundai.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by CTS-V-TWIN View Post
    GM should be worried about Hyundai.
    Do you remember how
    Lexus dumped cars on the U.S. market like Hyundai is doing now? And the later price increases? The market will determine their success. If they are trying to compete in the super car realm, they aren't even close. I think that their competition is Toyota not Cadillac.

Jud
    Jud

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
    Sure sounds like less confidence in drivetrains or high warranty costs to me. Not a good thing for sure.
    really? I don't see how. 6year/70K is still more than any other luxury brand. I think it's acutally better, as mentioned, people don't typically drive cars 15K miles a year, so the extra year of protection is going to benefit a lot more people. Most Luxury warranty periods are 4 years/50K.

If I was going to buy a car and keep it for 10 years, I would be looking at warranties very carefully and right now Hyundai has the best warranty in the business, not to mention they are trying to take over the luxury segment with the Genesis and Equus. I see a ton of those on the streets.
    I really didn't think a lot of it other than a gimmick to be honest.
    It's non-transferable for one, people simply do not buy brand new cars and keep them for 10 years, or at least, I don't know of anyone that does. So by the time you've paid it off in 4-5 years and are ready for something else, that extra warranty is gone.

If you look at what it acutally covers, it's less impressive in some areas. IE, eletronics and infotainment systems are only covered 3years/36K. your A/C is only covered 1 year/unlimited miles.

Although it's oddly over-protected in other areas. your paint has 3 year 36K, which is the best in the business afaik(GM's 1 year 12K is a joke considering the paint problems I had in my last V) what that actually covers though, it doesn't say.

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Bumper-to-bumper warranty of 4 years or 50K miles should include the paint.

SoCal_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan - diamond white / graphite wheels

I'll never maximize the warranty on my V in either scenario, as I don't plan to keep the car longer than 3yrs.

Still the message it seems to send is that 100k miles is too much for them to warranty. And the way all of my GMs have held up over the years, I'm not surprised. Probably a smart move for them that won't cost them sales...as mentioned, how many V owners stick with a car long enough to drive 60k+ miles. I'm sure someone on this forum will say they plan to, but over-all compared to total sales, I'd bet V owners jump into new cars more frequently than the average car buyer.

CoppeR is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 BD Coupe

Ill take the extra year.

My '06 GTO had 12,000 miles on it when I sold it last month.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by tedcmiller View Post
    Bumper-to-bumper warranty of 4 years or 50K miles should include the paint.
    I looked it up to see what I was remembering, page 17 in the warranty booklet only says to bring paint problems to your dealer ASAP. Fallout protection/spotting is only covered 12months/12K.

Thanks.

Still the message it seems to send is that 100k miles is too much for them to warranty.
    where is everyone getting this? Does everyone here drive 20K miles a year for some reason and know for a fact shit starts to break a lot as you go past 70-80K? I don't think I break 20K between my daily beater and the V2 combined, and I have a 50mile commute to work every day. Most people on this forum don't even have 50K miles let a lone 100K, and iirc, the one person that Did post a thread with a 100K reported ZERO problems.

the 3.6 is the last engine avaliable in the CTS besides the LSA yes? The 3.6 is warranted 5years/100K in the impala, camaro, and malibu, all of which out-sell the CTS by hundreds of thousands of units each by themsevles.. Clearly, they still think these engines are good for 100K, and clearly, since the Z06/ZR1/ trucks(that have the 6L90E) still come with 100K Powertrain warranties,so all of the parts in the V2 are good for 100K too since they share a lot of common parts with said corvettes.

this is about providing a more useful powertrain warranty, not a roll-back because they're being swamped by claims.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.