Katie - can we get some GM Performance guys online?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By bbang
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Katie - can we get some GM Performance guys online? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Katie (or Sarah or whoever is keeping tabs these days...): Many other forums occassionally have online discussions or other events ...
    TriTexan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Automobile?? Lake! Big Lake!!

Katie - can we get some GM Performance guys online?

Katie (or Sarah or whoever is keeping tabs these days...):

Many other forums occassionally have online discussions or other events with the engineers from their respective automaker's performance division. Do you think you could check into things on your side to see about arranging something like that? Or even if the engineers would check in on the threads here from time to time.

There are MANY topics being discussed where our community would greatly benefit from the inside scoop - we'd love to understand more about why certain things were designed or engineered the way they were, even if we are making modifications or doing other things to the cars that might not be what they had originally intended.

Having someone who has access to the rationale behind various design and engineering choices would do wonders. Some examples:

-We all know about common problems like the isolator coupling on the supercharger and that the spindle was intentionally designed to wear or have witness marks because it was made, by choice, from softer metal than the spring that surrounds it. But why? And especially since we know that it is prone to noise issues. Many people replace this with a solid isolator. What's the GM engineers inside take on this practice? Should we leave the spring in place and why? What do we risk, if anything, by going with a solid isolator? And why in my 2012 V do I still have the old design if it is so easily addressed?

-What about the rear diff temperature issues everyone complains about? The V2 series is in its 4th year - you'd think gremlins like this would have been addressed by now. Is the sensor overly protective? We know sometimes the rear diff comes under filled from the factory...what's up with that? Why do some cars get a special diff cooler and others do not? Why not treat everyone equally? It really rubs us the wrong way to know that some overseas models got the diff cooler and us U.S. owners did not (even though we DO have deserts here in the US!). Clearly the fact that GM is supplying a cooler to other countries means they are aware of the potential problem with the rear diff temp.

I'm a relatively new V2 owner with only about 1,000 miles on my V - and with just a little time online I already know about a dozen or so issues to watch out for. I sure wish the GM engineers had the advantage of this feedback - perhaps they do, but it sure would build a HUGE amount of owner loyalty if, just occasionally, we heard from them and they posted credible, reliable information here in one of the largest caddy forums on the 'Net.

Anyway, let us know what you think!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bbang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sport Wagon

Re: Katie - can we get some GM Performance guys online?

nice piece of work TriTexan...I agree.
    TriTexan and TriTexan like this.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe on Order, 2013 Escalade ESV,

GM staff and engineers are reading and watching a lot of the GM discussion forums. We have known this for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-V-TWIN View Post
    GM staff and engineers are reading and watching a lot of the GM discussion forums. We have known this for awhile.
    I would think so. But if that's true, why don't they show themselves? Why don't they address some of the frustrations here head-on? I'm asking for them to be an official, open, transparent part of the forum. I'm asking them to address our concerns from an engineering (instead of a customer service - nothing personal Katie!) standpoint. I want them to do more than just read and watch...how about some interaction with us, the actual customers and end users? Lurking doesn't foster owner loyalty IMO.

I am responsible for a very large team of software and technology engineers - I encourage and often REQUIRE them to speak to and interact with the end users of the systems we design. Engineers that don't become jaded, disconnected, or suffer from Ivory Towel Syndrome (or worse).

Twin, I know you're very active on these forums...can you point me to the last post made by one of the GM Performance Division engineers? Maybe they're posting and I just don't know who they are - I'll be the first to admit I might be speaking out of turn here. But my perception so far is that if they are around I can't tell - and as a customer, sometimes feeling like you are being heard is as important as actually being heard.

The last known post by a lead Engineer from the CTS-V program was Ed Piatek, which was probably about a year and a half ago/two years ago. He addressed the supercharger isolator issue and wheel clicking issue. We were all pleasantly surprised by his post on here. Trust me, they are watching everything and making note of all our issues. I don't think they are going to be heavily active on here since they have to spend their time working on solutions for what plagues our cars.

I do agree with you that it would be really nice to have constant interactions between GM/Cadillac's niche customer base and Engineers, but they would have to hire dedicated hands-on Engineers just to keep up with us being how high maintenence most of us are. It may not be practical for GM to do this or worth the cost.

YGBSM is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'll bet the reason GM engineers don't post on this forum is because they don't want to be bombarded with idiotic questions from whiners who don't even bother to read their owner's manual.

If you want some real tech, contact John Heinricy through his consulting company. He'll probably be able to answer any question you have, or point you in the right direction. Offer to pay him for his time.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Actually, WillK was a sunroof quality engineer (until a short while ago)

many of the sunroof issues he helped along were due to the feedback he received from us here

yeah, i know, it's not a performance engineer - but it's still an engineer making Cadillacs better with feedback from the owners

----------

There's probably also some legal issues/concerns that aren't very obvious that keep them from communicating constantly

... it's kind of like a pandora's box ... they could get into a lot more hot water/trouble communicating back than they can from just listening
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Thanks for the feedback, you all! TriTexan, I can completely appreciate the desire for a technical/engineering team interacting with customers on the forum and I'm always happy to pass along great suggestions such as this one. You make some very valid points, and thank you for taking the time to post them in a thoughtful way!

In the meantime, if you have technical questions please feel free to private message me with your name and VIN and I can do my best to explore my internal resources for you. I can understand that a lot of you don't consider this an ideal situation, which is why I'm making sure to document this thread and feedback. While I apologize for not being able to guarantee a future engineering presence on the forum, I will certainly update this thread if I receive any news about the possibility of this.

Sarah (my wonderful back-up representative/co-worker) and I will be returning to the office on Tuesday after the holiday weekend, and I hope you all have an enjoyable Memorial Day weekend yourselves!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Cadillac had a conference call with a few members of this forum with regards the grenading diff issue on the V1. They listen. They responded with a much improved casing. And they made 3 sets of improvements over time.

They know. They listed. And I agree with a point made previously. If they made themselves too readily available, they'd have so many whiners and trolls, it would be a waste of time for them...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

So I get the logic that the engineers might get bombarded with questions from all over the place and that this might be a distraction. I guess my head was really thinking along the lines of a once-a-quarter online moderated chat or panel discussion that would be more structured. If you jump over to one of the Chrysler SRT boards, for example, you can find their engineers posting and fielding questions regularly, but usually in a format where they'll be online during a specified window and in some kind of moderated way.

I'm sure the guys follow things here closely, but some feedback to us at the customer level would be really welcome and appreciated. If you're listening, let us know! If you have comments or guidance based on what we are posting, we're all ears...

flatrockguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Raven V Sedan, M6, Graphite Rims, Yellow Brembos

I just got rid of my SRT charger and on the charger forum they would post a date usually every couple months as to when there would be an open chat with the SRT engineers and it worked out great . Got a lot of questions answered..

I love my GM vehicles! I know the Engineers are listening and doing their best to make me the best performing vehicles on the road.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I also wouldn't mind more known presence on here. But I think Cadillac more than makes up for it with in-person presentation at Driving Labs and other Caddy events.

How much do we love our V2s? Imagine, in May of 2008, Caddy engineers and test drivers in preproduction mules chasing us V1 owners around Summit Point Shenandoah at V-Day I...

It was surreal...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.