Any concerns about buying a used GM fleet vehicle?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Any concerns about buying a used GM fleet vehicle? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; A couple of the used MT Vagons I am looking at are listed as former GM fleet vehicles. I'm afraid ...
    baatar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 12 OBM V Wagon

Question Any concerns about buying a used GM fleet vehicle?

A couple of the used MT Vagons I am looking at are listed as former GM fleet vehicles. I'm afraid that might mean they have been flogged pretty hard, like you would a rental, and/or perhaps given to reporters for their testing so again probably driven pretty hard and perhaps tracked.

Are these legit concerns? Anyone have any experience buying a former fleet V2? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ste_V_e is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: Any concerns about buying a used GM fleet vehicle?

You pretty much answered your own question. You can bet those cars have been beat.

commander112 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan White/Recaro/Manual/Polished

It kinda depends. Most of the fleet cars were executive vehicles and while I'm sure some of those guys do get on the cars a bit I really doubt that they get on them much more or harder than some of the owners do. These are people that get a new ride often from the company and are used to having fun high po cars. It becomes normal for them to have cars like the V. It is not like giving these cars to a kid that just got their license. Some of them do get beat on and bent up though. Like any used car you just have to look it over and take your chances.
    Dr. Design and Dr. Design like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Look under the rear end.

If it has a box with slots in it, buy the car and sell me that box...
    rjoffe and rjoffe like this.

V Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon-Raven Black, manual, satin graphite wheels

I bought a PEP car, the driver of it greatly annoyed me by parking too close to parking blocks and messing up the little chin spoilerlette pieces. The worst part is I know people assume I did it. I attempted to somewhat fix the one that was hanging only to discover it is supposed to be supported by a little piece molded on the fascia that is broke I would say that PEP cars generally aren't to beat on with managers driving them. Although they do trade vehicles a lot so there have probalby been more people checking them out and having fun with them than just the person it was assigned to.

The price on mine was right anyway, despite that issue.

If the cars were in the engineering fleet or used as Ambassador cars, run fast, especially on a manual. So many people think they can drive a stick and can't. Or know they suck at it but do it anyway and are somehow proud of their total manual driving ineptitude. And the engineering fleet cars get parts swapped and beaten on and tested with but as long as they don't get holes drillied in them or put on a durability test they still get auctioned when their use is done. The Ambassador cars, anyone can get ahold of for a week or weekend. Lots of people in and out of them, others are allowed to drive them and what not as well. So lots of people that don't normally get in performance cars beating on those.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

I don't think I would ever buy a car like that. You never know what was done to it before, if it was crashed and put together or abused. The problem is you just never know and that would bother me enough to keep looking for another car.

oneman42 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan, Black, 6MT, no mods, LED int bulb swap

How about the Vs from the driving academy? I have one with a salvage title, 6k miles, the vendor say they are not allowed to over 4th gear so what should I do?
    Thanks,
    George

Saying you aren't allowed to go over 4th gear on a track isn't saying much. Most tracks are run completely in 3rd and 4th gear. Great, no one beat on the synchros for the gears you're never doing aggressive shifts into
    nsaness and nsaness like this.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

My sedan was a GM fleet one, and had none of the regular issues I've seen here. It had the original tires (as seen by the date code) that were still almost new.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    Look under the rear end.

If it has a box with slots in it, buy the car and sell me that box...
    I'll offer you a dollar more than him.

Some cars I'm sure do end u with an easy life. Auto show circuit cars or whatever.

You've seen those videos GM has put out showing or talking about the "Woodward Avenue Test"? Some of them also do that. So it's buyer beware like anything really. You could get one that's done basically nothing. You could get one that's been beaten harder than anyone in the real world would ever actually beat it.

CTSV12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Coupe

So, all of the V cars here that are eventually traded or sold were driven by a retired school marm to church on Sunday morning? The reality of a used fleet vehicle is the same as any used vehicle with the possible exception of better service records. The only vehicles that worry me are those that have been through the auction. Many are fine, but the losers are dumped there to avoid direct sale to a customer when the known history is not good.
    Jinx and IBMike like this.

Aside from tagged PEP cars purchased by employees, all the GM fleet vehicles go to auction from the GM fleet.

nsaness is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V (Black 2014), CTS-V (Red obsession 2014)

I do not have a fleet vehicle, but as someone who leases my V's, I have a few thoughts. I am religious with maintenance, and as a high mile commuter, some of the miles on my car are "easy" miles. I have never missed a day of work due to snow, so you can imagine all of the salt my cars are exposed to. I can also state that all 3 of my leased V's have had 100 shot of nitrous on them, and have seen the drag strip regularly in the summer.
    Very few performance cars are not driven hard, but you drive a little harder when you know a new one is coming every 24 months...

IBMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe

I'm facing this quandrey right now... a great deal on a used 2013 with 14k miles on it.

Given I only plan on keeping it for 2 years or so, it should be good to go under warranty (though I haven't 100% confirmed the warranty is good to go) for as long as I have it. So unless something serious comes up when I have it checked out, I'm gonna roll the dice and hope for the best.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.