Any concerns about buying a used GM fleet vehicle? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Any concerns about buying a used GM fleet vehicle? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; The CTS-V lives at the top of Hoon Mountain. Unless you're buying directly from a bought-new nobody-else-drove-it little old lady, ...
    Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Re: Any concerns about buying a used GM fleet vehicle?

The CTS-V lives at the top of Hoon Mountain. Unless you're buying directly from a bought-new nobody-else-drove-it little old lady, of course it saw action.

But it seems like the car can take it. Between the active modding community and the lack of serious mechanical grief among the stock and near-stock crowd, I don't get the impression that the car is fragile. What's most of the traffic here in General about? The brakes click, the supercharger rattles, the diff whines. The car's noisy, but not fragile. The biggest weakness worry seems to be rocking Recaros. Am I wrong?
    IBMike likes this.

MacBuster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

My wife used to be an "executive" for GM, and I've driven literally dozens of cars that would have gone to auction and been sold like this. I would never buy one. I had the opportunity when shopping for my V, and I chose to find one that was privately owned.

I was not kind to the cars. At all. And its pretty common for these cars to just have their keys handed over to whoever wants to drive. At my house for a bbq? Here, take the keys...those tires on the Vette are expensive, but meh. They are treated WORSE than rentals...since you need to PAY for damage to rentals. Seriously. Part of the whole reason for them to be out on the road is so that employees will flip the keys to randoms/friends/cousins, etc and get the cars tested by people.

I don't think I saw a single high-po car leave our possession with anything resembling useful rubber. (You should have seen the Impala SS...fwd burnouts. all. day. long.

PNBLWZD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V Black Diamond Sedan, 09 CTS-V (sold), STS-V (sold)

LOL! I had the chance to buy a 2013 PEP car like this very recently, but passed also. I heard that overall these cars are usually treated fairly well, but of course it depends on who uses it. Each one only gets about 6 months of use and logs between 6-10k miles in that time, but if it's 1/4 mile at a time the low mileage doesn't do much good. At least you can inspect the car first with no obligation to buy, as long as it's local and you don't have to get it transported.

IBMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe

I rolled the dice and bought the one I was looking at. I figure with 36k/38 months of warranty left, if it has issues, they should be addressed. If it was a car I was going to keep for 20 years I might be a little more worried, but as mentioned above, these cars seems to be pretty tough. I guess time will tell...

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Congrats IBMike -- how's your new ride configured? When do you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Congrats IBMike -- how's your new ride configured? When do you get it?
    2013 Black Diamond coupe, #10 off the line for 2013! Loaded (wood/saffron recaros/yellow calipers/suede/roof/graphite wheels... did I miss anything? lol). They put 14k miles on it in 15 months (put in service Apr 12). Best part... $54,600 (will won' t know what taxes are until I get home and register it)!

musclecar6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 V sedan crystal red/ light titanium A6, 2010 GS LPE 650

I think you've made a great move. Look at all the money you've saved & if it has the warranty in place while you plan to own it, you're covered. Would I personally buy a car like that ? Never. Ever seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off ? What do you think happens every time a fellow gear head gets his/her hands on a CTS-V or other similar car. They beat the ever living stuffing's out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by musclecar6 View Post
    I think you've made a great move. Look at all the money you've saved & if it has the warranty in place while you plan to own it, you're covered. Would I personally buy a car like that ? Never. Ever seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off ? What do you think happens every time a fellow gear head gets his/her hands on a CTS-V or other similar car. They beat the ever living stuffing's out of it.
    I know there's a difference in the way rentals/fleet cars get treated, as those driving them have no $$ invested in their longevity. If I was going to keep this one forever I wouldn't go this route either. MIght pay for it when it comes time to sell it, but worst case, I trade it in and the dealer isn't likely to give a hoot that it was a fleet vehicle and I'd still get the same $ as any other 13. So I'll have fun with it for a couple years and move on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.