trans swap question...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, trans swap question... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; since my trans is still acting up i was thinking in getting a new one. but then i read that ...
    S_al_h is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cts-v sedan

trans swap question...

since my trans is still acting up i was thinking in getting a new one. but then i read that the zl1 trans is the same as the one in the cts-v but tweaked. they got 60% faster shifting plus they have the launch control in 5 levels. so my question is, if i bought the zl1 trans, will it fit and work on my sedan? if yes, will i also get the launch control with it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: trans swap question...

physically it should fit. As for the PAS, I couldn't comment. It's all software, If you want to believe certian vendors there are fields populated in the trans tunes of 11+ CTSV 6L90E's that are not populated on the 09-10 6L90E transmissions, so it's possible that they did change something for the new transmissions that just so happened to be made around the same time they were doing ZL1 work. It's anyone's guess if it's acutally the PAS software, just like it's anyone's guess if a ZL1 6L90E would communicate with the car's PCM. No one's taken the $3500 chance yet.

launch control is not a function of the transmission, it's PCM timming retarding and ABS control on the ZL1.

In either case, there are much better ways to invest 4 grand to make the car go faster.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

You're going to just buy a trans like that and stick it in? Is yours still under warranty?

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Hello,
    Is rebuilding your current transmission not an option? The cost of getting a new trans vs building up your current one would be a wash at best. I would think that the built transmission would also have better internals compared to the ZL1's trans (assuming the internals are the same as the CTS-V). If you have a stout transmission, you can alter the TCM to bang gears just about as hard as you want. All the ZL1's we have seen have been sticks. So we cant say for sure. But again, I would think you can get more for your money by building up the OEM trans.

If you are looking for a good TC system and have adequate power upgrades, the OEM TC will not hold it anyways. We are finishing up the development of our new stand alone TC system. Its what we have to use on the high output setups.

p.s. Just to show how stout the built OEM trans is. We have made well over 1000 ft lbs at the hub on a built trans.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by S_al_h View Post
    since my trans is still acting up i was thinking in getting a new one. but then i read that the zl1 trans is the same as the one in the cts-v but tweaked. they got 60% faster shifting plus they have the launch control in 5 levels. so my question is, if i bought the zl1 trans, will it fit and work on my sedan? if yes, will i also get the launch control with it?

Well where i live, we dont have people who can build the ctsv trans well as i rebuilt it twice, apparently the Vs tranny is complicated.. and no i dont have a warrenty. Plus my goal is 630-640 hp to the wheel. I got interested in the ZL1s trans. Because 1 its new and 2 it has quick shifts and the launch control.. i hate the lag between me shifting and the actual gear shifting...

OTE=Dr. Design;2977212]Hello,
    Is rebuilding your current transmission not an option? The cost of getting a new trans vs building up your current one would be a wash at best. I would think that the built transmission would also have better internals compared to the ZL1's trans (assuming the internals are the same as the CTS-V). If you have a stout transmission, you can alter the TCM to bang gears just about as hard as you want. All the ZL1's we have seen have been sticks. So we cant say for sure. But again, I would think you can get more for your money by building up the OEM trans.

If you are looking for a good TC system and have adequate power upgrades, the OEM TC will not hold it anyways. We are finishing up the development of our new stand alone TC system. Its what we have to use on the high output setups.

p.s. Just to show how stout the built OEM trans is. We have made well over 1000 ft lbs at the hub on a built trans.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac[/QUOTE]

xlr_x is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 v coupe 78 trans am 75 stingray

Hala salh
    i saw a lot of modified V's online and in real life and all of them using the oem trans with no problem what so ever ( to 700rwhp )
    and i asked some V tuners about how much hp can the trans takes with no problem and most of them told me 650RWHP

its not how much the the trans can handle.. its that i have rebuilt my gear 2-3 times (dont remember) and its acting up again. with that in mind i have decided that i want to get a brand new trans, but instead of the regular ones for the cts v, i want the upgraded ones on the ZL1. mechanically it fits perfectly, but will it preform smoothly? do i need to buy the ZL1s ecm for it to function and then tune it or will it work as if i installed the normal trans?

i think of it hitting 2 birds with one stone.. getting a brand new tranny + no lag in shifting upwards

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.