'12 LSA making some power
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, '12 LSA making some power in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I'm reading more and more how the '12 LSA is putting down some power. I think some of the changes ...
    quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1

'12 LSA making some power

I'm reading more and more how the '12 LSA is putting down some power. I think some of the changes made for the ZL1 trickled over to the V unpublished.

Good article:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...g/viewall.html
    Club Malibu and Club Malibu like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Re: '12 LSA making some power

Wow, very interesting. It's also in Opulent Blue, which I want to trade my 2009 sedan in for.

TriTexan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Automobile?? Lake! Big Lake!!

I have a brand new 2012 auto wagon - wouldn't mind putting it on the dyno to see if this was a one-off factory special or if the 2012's really ARE putting more power to the wheels. Anyone here in the Houston area want to offer up their dyno for a quick test?

bbang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sport Wagon

I had heard that the 2012 V's had 580 hp.I cannot remember were I heard it. I remember them saying that cadillac was keeping it under wraps and 2012 owners were the testing arena....They wanted it to contend with the new M5.. A friend drove my 2012 auto- vagon and he said WOW!!. He has an 09 coupe manual. very interesting to say the least. Anybody have dyno numbers on a stock 2012 ??? let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by bbang View Post
    I had heard that the 2012 V's had 580 hp.I cannot remember were I heard it. I remember them saying that cadillac was keeping it under wraps and 2012 owners were the testing arena....They wanted it to contend with the new M5.. A friend drove my 2012 auto- vagon and he said WOW!!. He has an 09 coupe manual. very interesting to say the least. Anybody have dyno numbers on a stock 2012 ??? let us know.
    bbang - if you've got a 2012 wagon as well, maybe we can get both of ours on a dyno soon and post the results. I would say if BOTH of our cars test out as well as the one that started this thread, then maybe we are onto something. If I can find someone to dyno mine here in Houston I'll do it and share the data, but I don't know if it's worth me shelling out cash just to find out - I'll do that when it's time for my first round of mods in a few months. But I sure would like to know now.

I thought the ZL1 was getting it's extra power from an updated intake and a few other bits - it looks like our 2012's are identical to previous years, so where's the extra power coming from?

SoCalCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV Coupe, 1966 Chevelle

It's a mystery!

...and I thought several places have already dyno'd a 2012 CTS-V. I saw a wagon tested that was by Insideline that did 492hp and 502 tq at the wheels (manual). Still, that would indicate that the engine is making more than 556 hp. If you use the standard 15% powertrain loss (which of course is an estimate) then 492 at the wheels comes out to 578 at the crank - pretty close to the claimed 580 of the ZL1.

I guess I have to get mine checked out - would love to know what kind of baseline I am working from.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bbang
    There is no '09 coupe...
    tbauer and tbauer like this.

Macvicar24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 White Diamond Escalade, 2013 ATS Thunder Grey
    It mainly comes from the ZL1 having electric assisted steering. No power steering pump to rob the power.

Junkie414 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

My blue 2012 feels slower stock then my 09 did. Haven't put it on a dyno yet, I highly doubt I will until its pretty heavily modded.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

I have an '11 V Coupe with auto trans (built 2/11) and mine put down 470 RWHP (Dynojet) bone stock with 400 miles on the engine. I am sure it puts down way more with the W4M full cold air intake, Borla catback exhaust and W4M tune now that I have over 14K miles. GM has always under-rated their vehicles.

Rock1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTSV Black Diamond Edition, 2006 SRM Pontiac GTO

My 11 A6 sedan put down 490.88/475.45 bone stock.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

Quote Originally Posted by Rock1 View Post
    My 11 A6 sedan put down 490.88/475.45 bone stock.
    How many miles were on the engine when you had it dyno tested? Was it on a Dynojet?

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-V-TWIN View Post
    How many miles were on the engine when you had it dyno tested? Was it on a Dynojet?
    Yeah that's what I was wondering too. The type of dyno makes a HUGE difference since some read much, much higher than others. 490 on a dynojet could easily be 450 on a mustang dyno.

B T Williams is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Not all brands of dynos, and even the same brand of dynos, report similar horsepower and torque ratings. For the same car, some dynos report higher numbers than others and vice versa.

The April GM High Tech Magazine Dynojet 224X test of a 2012 CTS-V waggon reported rear wheel power output of 525 HP / 521 Lb Ft Tq, very high numbers for advertised crank power output of 556 HP / 551 Lb Ft Tq.

The May GM High Tech Magazine Dynojet 224X test of a 2012 Corvette LS3 Grand Sport reported rear wheel power output of 415 HP / 409 Lb Ft Tq, also very high numbers for advertised crank power output of 436 HP / 428 Lb Ft Tq.

Therefore, the high rear wheel power output reported by the April GM High Tech Magazine Dynojet 224X test for the 2012 CTS-V waggon does not, in and of themselves, provide sufficient evidence of an increase in power output for 2012 CTS-V LSA engines.

Regarding the higher 580 HP / 556 Lb Ft Tq crank power output of 2012 Camaro ZL1 LSA engines, the May GM High Tech Magazine article on that car describes a number of power enhancing differences not found in CTS-V LSA engines.

In light of the power output war now being waged by BMW with their 2012 M5 and Mercedes with their 2012 E63 AMG, it is highly unlikely that Cadillac would choose to remain silent about any power output increase for their 2012 CTS-V.
    FLTRI and FLTRI like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.