Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Blistering performance aside, what's your favorite V feature?

7K views 53 replies 37 participants last post by  TriTexan 
#1 ·
Ok, ok - we got monster horsepower. And great handling. And Brembo brakes. But what about all the little touches? What's your favorite one?

To get you thinking in the right direction, here's some that I have come across that the wife and I really like, but aren't exactly front-page news when the sales guys are making their pitch...my last new car was 7 years ago, so some of this stuff didn't exist last time I had a new car.

So here goes:

-You can pause and rewind almost any AM/FM/XM and so on. I can't tell you how many times I've missed something or talked over something my wife was trying to listen to. We have this with DVR in our home, now it's in our car. Never knew about that feature until I started reading through the manual - both cool and useful!

-I also like the "smog sensor" feature that automatically turns on air recirculation when it detects fumes or exhaust coming in from the outside. It works pretty well so far in Houston traffic.

So that I don't steal your thunder, I'll stop there. What have you found that you didn't know about until after you had the car home and had time to explore? What's your favorite "hidden" or unadvertised feature?

See less See more
#25 ·
This one made me laugh - because it does the same for me - everytime .... but what I really like is what the CTS V Racing Guys taught me - that I can push the automatic into the sport mode ... I do not need to shift it myself and it runs even better -- now this is the only why I drive it .. unless I want to shift it also!

#14 ·
The car is so smooth, solid, comfortable and effortless, that it inspires confidence and makes me feel it is capable of anything on the road. The electronic parking brake saved my butt on a steep gravel driveway with a nasty ditch on the side.

Jud

#18 ·
the wtf look that non car people give when i say I have a cadillac (just turned 30). female coworker "your a decent guy, why a cadillac? i don't get it"
+ the thumbs up i get in traffic.
Car was supposed to be for me not for attention like my others, but seems to get more attention than bmw, benz, and audi in the past. Its almost like the thumbs up is like american flag pride or something.

Id say Keyless go, auto lock (no beep), led headlight bar, inexpensive mods/maint. DRL disable(would like a permanent setting)

#19 ·
I'll add two more I don't think anyone has mentioned. The OnStar application - the remote start I think most people know about, but that's usually with your keyfob. With the OnStar app for Android, I can ensure the car is locked from deep inside the mall (or anywhere else) where the keyfob would normally be useless. Now I can get the A/C running here in Houston while sitting in the checkout line and by the time me and the wife get out to the mall parking lot, the car is nice and cool. I think this is a great sleeper feature - the remote start the sales guys always demo...but no one tells you about the phone app.

The turn tracking headlights are also pretty cool. They might seem a little gimmicky at first, but you quickly get used to them and appreciate they extra visibility they provide.

JFJr - what was it about the electronic brake that saved your butt (as opposed to a standard emergency brake or hand brake?). So far I've found the electric parking brake a little awkward, but I'm getting used to it. I can't see an advantage for it yet...

This post has been deleted
#32 ·
All car parts aside. The V community alone is different than any other car group. Vette, Mustang, Honda, you name it. The V community might be smaller but its a different breed of enthusiasts. I have met with West Coast V guys and East Coast and its a cool group of owners. Favorite part of the V....hanging out with other V owners

To answer the OP, the fact that it's faster and corners nearly as well as my '03 Z06 did, but can haul four people or 58 CF of stuff. I just got my 11 Vagon three days ago (with all three pedals), are there any enthusiast groups in Tidewater, VA? LOVE MY NEW BULLET!!!

#21 ·
TriTexan said:
JFJr - what was it about the electronic brake that saved your butt (as opposed to a standard emergency brake or hand brake?). So far I've found the electric parking brake a little awkward, but I'm getting used to it. I can't see an advantage for it yet...
Nothing that a normal handbrake couldn't provide except you just drive away to release it. I was very close to going into a ditch and if I was slightly early in releasing a manual handbrake, I probably would have been in the ditch. Not a big deal but less distraction may have helped.

#26 ·
Hidden Features? I found a few too.

Wagon Only: As the hatch is raising or lowering, you can push the button on the hatch, or clicker, and stop in at any elevation. Another push reverses it. Very handy when wiping those pesky water spots off.

A6 Only: You can manually shift it using the paddle shifters, without first shifting to sport mode. It's stays in the gear you selected for a bit (30 seconds or so) lights up the gear position indicator, and then goes back into sedate auto mode...

All: When you get a voice prompt with navigation active, turning the audio up or down during the prompt will change prompt volume, not radio volume.

Also reference the HD pause the OP mentioned. I use Pandora through my iPhone almost exclusively. You can skip the current track, or pause, via the radios controls. No fumbling for the phone. Neat...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.