Blistering performance aside, what's your favorite V feature? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree17Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Blistering performance aside, what's your favorite V feature? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by FLTRI When not in sport mode, shifter in drive: Press left paddle shifter, car will down shift ...
    Rule12b is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

Re: Blistering performance aside, what's your favorite V feature?

Quote Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
    When not in sport mode, shifter in drive:

Press left paddle shifter, car will down shift from 6th to 5th, another press it goes into 4th and so on. Press right paddle and it'll upshift. The gear position indicator light will change from being blacked out, to a red number indicating what gear you are in, and the red "M" will illuminate instead of the red "D", just like when you are in sport mode. If you do nothing, it will upshift on it's own, and go back into non-sport "D" mode, with the gear position blacked out after about 30 seconds.

Handy if you accelerate lightly and the tranny decides you don't need a downshift, but you decide you'd like one, please...

Works on my 2011, maybe they changed it in 2012...
    My 2010 sedan does not work this way. Must have shifter to the right in sport mode to shift manually.

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Rule12b View Post
    My 2010 sedan does not work this way. Must have shifter to the right in sport mode to shift manually.
    Hmmmm... Wonder if it's just a 2011 thing, or if mine is "broken". Going on a Corvette Club run this weekend (they let me take the Vagon, as I've convinced them it has a Corvette engine). I'll see if I can get my wife to hold the video phone, so I can post a demo...
    Vwagon2012 and Vwagon2012 like this.

quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1

My '12 V will manually downshift in normal D mode. I click the left steering wheel button while in normal Drive and it downshifts manually. It will revert back to normal drive after a short while if I don't keep clicking the upshift/downshift buttons.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Gotta be a software thing. As long as it does what you want it to!

BigDog001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Black Diamond V Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly
    If "blistering performance" is only referring to the engine, then probably my favorite V feature aside from that is the suspension and steering tuning that was done both here and in Germany. The handling and the magnetic dampers are one of the biggest reasons I bought my V, in addition to the power. It has BOTH, and that's the key. I've driven a couple other Cadillacs and I am seriously not even slightly interested in any of them. They are boaty, floaty, wallowy, and it's really just not my cup of tea.

The CTS-V, on the other hand, shows a dedication to well rounded performance absent from the rest of Cadillac. They could have shoved the LSA and the auto tranny into a CTS and called it a day, and I never would have bought one. Power is nothing without control. What makes the V so brilliant is the astonishingly good suspension, steering, and the tuning thereof. I love driving this car, I put it in sport and take an onramp, and I can feel exactly what the car is doing. The front end bites, the chassis responds, I can feel the road through the steering wheel, it's awesome. And the faster you drive it, the better it gets. The high speed handling characteristics in this car are amazing, it just keeps getting better the faster you go.

I don't know how many of you have really pushed your Vs beyond highway speeds, but it is unbelievably rewarding. As you approach triple digit speeds it starts to feel like it's glued to the road, the power delivery has smoothed out so you're not breaking the rear end loose every time you think about stepping on the gas, and it responds quickly and effortlessly. It's at these speeds that it becomes very clear that it was developed on the nurburgring, and it just feels like it's on rails.

It's even more impressive that it's doing this while carrying ~4300 lbs around. And frankly, it's almost unbelievable that this is an American car. There are so few American cars that really handle well, although they finally seem to have gotten the message over the last few years. But this is definitely one of them. This feels like an M5, a car build specifically around balance and precision, and that is not an easy trick to pull off.

I still think quality control needs to be improved, but that's for much less important things like creaking sunroofs and rocking recaros, etc. And that's mainly to maintain Cadillac's image as a premier auto maker. The CTS-V is a monster all around performer, and while the engine is awesome and I love it, it's only half the story. I have huge respect for the V engineers who made this car possible because they just nailed it, and convinced me to do what I never in my life imagined I would do, by making their actions speak louder than words:

I bought a Cadillac. How about that.
    I had to pile on to this one - I have had 3 - 7 series, 3- 3 series, 1 - E350(worst car I ever owned) and a LS 460 - even a mini jcw ... and guess what I did the unthinkable too - saw the black diamond coupe, drove it, bought it - and now it is the best car I have ever driven! I have a permanent smile on when I drive it!!!
    Vwagon2012 and Vwagon2012 like this.

King335i is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 Thunder Gray CTS-V Coupe

My favorite features are the constantly squeaking Recaro seats, the squeaky nav display when it goes up or down, and the way my engine sometimes sounds like Darth Vader hyperventilating. Oh, and all the looks, thumbs up, dropped jaws and wide eyes when the V goes by! It's almost worth it to hold on to the car just for the crowd response!

kygakman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan, 2008 Corvette C6 Vert

I like the electric parking brake which I set at long lights and then disengage it by giving it a little gas and off you go!

gevvvvv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
    When not in sport mode, shifter in drive:

Press left paddle shifter, car will down shift from 6th to 5th, another press it goes into 4th and so on. Press right paddle and it'll upshift. The gear position indicator light will change from being blacked out, to a red number indicating what gear you are in, and the red "M" will illuminate instead of the red "D", just like when you are in sport mode. If you do nothing, it will upshift on it's own, and go back into non-sport "D" mode, with the gear position blacked out after about 30 seconds.

Handy if you accelerate lightly and the tranny decides you don't need a downshift, but you decide you'd like one, please...

Works on my 2011, maybe they changed it in 2012...
    Another thing I noticed is if you are in sport mode (gear selector to the right), have changed the gears manually, and would now like to go back to the computer doing the gear changing for you while still staying in sport mode, just hold the right button on the steering wheel and it will go back into sport auto mode.

TriTexan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Automobile?? Lake! Big Lake!!

Went today to a local "park and sell" lot to put my old ride up for sale. The lot owner does really well - he had his '08 CL65 AMG for sale and was driving a brand new CLS63 AMG. His sons work there too and when my wife rolled up behind me in the new Vagon, the guy and his sons were all over it. That told me that no matter what car you own or how much power or torque you have, the Caddy turns heads and is something special.

My wife followed me in the Caddy and I noticed an M3 driver at a stoplight...I saw his eyes follow her and the car through about 270 degrees of rotation...it must've strained his neck for sure!

That's a COOL feature IMO.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.