New problems, anybody have these?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New problems, anybody have these? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I can't catch a break, apparently. So before I take the V in for its monthly dealer visit to fix ...
    Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

New problems, anybody have these?

I can't catch a break, apparently. So before I take the V in for its monthly dealer visit to fix it, I wanted to see if anybody else had experienced these things.

1. Today there's a new sound coming from the passenger side, on the outside of the car, I can't tell if it's near the front or rear wheel, or somewhere in between. It sounds a little like a card in bicycle spokes, but heavier and more metallic. It's speed-dependent, it doesn't start until about 25 MPH, and then the oscillation gets quicker and slows down with vehicle speed. It's pretty loud, I can hear it very clearly inside the car with the windows up.

It was definitely not there yesterday. I checked the wheels and lug nuts, none of them seemed loose, and I couldn't find anything that looked out of place. I'm at a loss, I can't even imagine what it could be at this point.

2. There is a high pitched whining, also pretty loud, that sounds like it's coming from the driver's side rear axle, or somewhere near there. It's only present from 45-60 MPH or so. It's speed but also throttle-input dependent. If my foot isn't on the gas pedal then it doesn't make the noise. But if I have even the slightest pressure on the pedal, the noise comes in at a volume relative to how far I have the pedal pushed down - but only between about 45 and 60 MPH. I can make the noise fade in and out by giving it gas and then getting off the pedal.

3. There is an ever-present but very quiet metal on metal grinding sound coming from the passenger side rear axle or near there. It's so quiet that it almost sounds like a normal mechanical driveline noise, but it still sounds like metal on metal to me. That could be perfectly normal, I have no idea. It's just something I noticed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

Re: New problems, anybody have these?

Supercharger rattle, wheel click, and diff?

DangFoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan: Black Diamond Tri-Coat

Sounds like the notorious "wheel click" issue coupled with something at the rear differential. I have the same noise as you described in #3 and I'm probably going to just make that Service appointment and have the diff fluid level checked and/or replaced.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    I'll take "Wheel Click and low differential fluid" for $500., Alex. For what it's worth, the wheel click is now married to you. No end in sight, I'm afraid. The diff issue is an easy fix.

It depends - I've had the front wheel click issue before, and this ain't it. The "normal" wheel click issue is only present while turning the wheels, and only at low speed. The current issue I have is only present at high speed, and it does it without turning the wheels. Is this a second type of known wheel click? Or maybe it is supercharger rattle. Does the s/c rattle occur if you're not in positive boost? I'm hearing it even when my foot is off the pedal completely and I'm coasting.

The high pitched whining I described is definitely coming from the rear of the car, not the front, so I ruled the supercharger out as a possible cause of that particular problem. The grinding seems like a diff issue to me too. Well either way looks like I'm going to have to bring the car in again.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)

Also, there could be something loose underneath your car or some road debris flapping against the underside. I heard something like this from a relatively new standard CTS loaner. My wheel clicking was fixed about 52,000 miles ago and I never heard it outside a parking lot.

Could the grinding be a brake pad wear sensor? You might check the proximity of the sensor to the rotor.

Jud
    Jud

Griffin337 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
    2. There is a high pitched whining, also pretty loud, that sounds like it's coming from the driver's side rear axle, or somewhere near there. It's only present from 45-60 MPH or so. It's speed but also throttle-input dependent. If my foot isn't on the gas pedal then it doesn't make the noise. But if I have even the slightest pressure on the pedal, the noise comes in at a volume relative to how far I have the pedal pushed down - but only between about 45 and 60 MPH. I can make the noise fade in and out by giving it gas and then getting off the pedal.
    I just picked my car up yesterday after what you described above to the T. They replaced the Diff.

I also had the same metal on metal sound you describe above in #3 but from the drivers side. I haven't been able to drive enough to figure out if the diff replacement also cured that problem as well.

If I can just get them to do something about my damn recaro I would be ok for now..

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

I've got a slight supercharger rattle at idle, but it's very minor and goes away at 800 rpm and above. There was a thread on here several months ago describing the "Spokes in a bicycle wheel" sound. IIRC, he was several quarts low on oil, I think???

No rear end whine on mine, but sounds like low fluid/bad diff to me too, in reading the many posts here describing the sound. I'll bet the metallic grinding sound is related to the differential as well, but I'm admittedly just guessing...

Edit: Here's the link to the other thread I mentioned. There's a YouTube video with the sound to compare. This guy, had to have the engine replaced, hope your's turns out better. Link: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ine-noise.html

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Xaqtly,
    It sounds as though you've made quite a few visits to your dealership for different concerns - I'm sorry if this is the case. If we can ever look into anything further, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us here on the forum. Otherwise, we look forward to hearing how your visit goes.

All the best,
    Sarah (Assisting Katie)
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
    Here's the link to the other thread I mentioned. There's a YouTube video with the sound to compare. This guy, had to have the engine replaced, hope your's turns out better. Link: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ine-noise.html
    I'm real familiar with low oil sounds coming from an engine (don't ask), and that was one of my initial thoughts at first too, but I checked my oil the other day and it came up at about half full on the dipstick but it was cold, had been off for 12 hours. So I wasn't worried about the level. And the other thing is that this noise is speed-dependent, not RPM-dependent. Like I can be going 50 MPH, and push the clutch in so the engine is idling and the noise doesn't change. It's also coming from the right side of the car, as opposed to the middle front. As far as I can determine, there's nothing wrong with the engine, thankfully.

I had the dealer check the fluid in the rear diff the first time I was there, and it was full so I hadn't been worrying about it. At this point I'm pretty convinced that both the grinding and the whining noise coming from the rear is the diff, but I still have no idea what the clicking noise is from the right side. I mean it could be wheel clicking, I just can't find anything wrong when it's not moving. And it's not clicking when at low speed and turning, which is when that usually shows up. This is also much louder than the normal wheel clicking, at around 75 MPH it's so loud that it sets up a resonance through the frame. I can actually feel it through my seat. Very weird.

Anyway I just got back from dropping it off. I told my service advisor I was back for my monthly visit, he didn't seem amused. At this point I'm just betting on the law of averages, and assuming that since so many things have gone wrong with this car and been repaired or replaced that things can't continue to keep going wrong. Eventually it's going to hit its stride and be fine. I did tell my advisor that it seemed like a Friday car.

I'll post back when I hear from the dealer.

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Good news that it's not low oil, that is never a good thing. Sounds like it has to be somewhere between the trans output shaft and the wheels, if it's speed, and not RPM dependent. Also a good thing, IMHO.

I've never had the wheel click, so I don't know what it sounds like. I listen pretty intently when backing, and/or turning at full lock, and it's silent so far. I did a preemptive strike when I took delivery though. I loosened and then retorqued all the lug nuts to 140 ft/lbs. All felt pretty loose when I backed them off. 140 is recommended, 158 is the TSB if you get a click. Figured that left me another re-torque if they started clicking. So far, so good...

Best of luck with the service, looking forward to seeing what they come up with. I hope this is the last time you see them, until your'e due for an oil change too...

DangFoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan: Black Diamond Tri-Coat
    Please keep us posted on the prognosis and repair(s).

Good news that it's not low oil, that is never a good thing. Sounds like it has to be somewhere between the trans output shaft and the wheels, if it's speed, and not RPM dependent. Also a good thing, IMHO.
    Yeah, absolutely. I'm real sensitive to even the slightest of ticking noises from the engine, but the only one I can hear is the normal LS3/9/A idle sound. Perfectly good as far as I can tell. My GF's vette sounds exactly the same, just louder.

I've never had the wheel click, so I don't know what it sounds like. I listen pretty intently when backing, and/or turning at full lock, and it's silent so far.
    Yeah you'd definitely hear it if you had it. It's sort of a metallic click sound that happens maybe once every quarter wheel rotation or so while moving and with the wheel at full lock. It's not loud, but you can definitely hear it with the window down.

Quote Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
    Please keep us posted on the prognosis and repair(s).
    Will do.

Got a call from Service, they said they can't replicate any of the problems I brought it in for. So I drove back there, took the assigned mechanic for a drive in it, and sure enough I couldn't hear it making the noise any more. Murphy's freaking law. But wait! As we drove past a wall, I could hear a clicking sound bouncing off the wall, though it was kind of quiet. So we drove past a couple more walls, and it became clear that it was still making the noise, just much quieter for some reason. The mechanic is suspecting the wheels or something about the wheels, or something.

Anyway they're going to look at it some more. I couldn't get it to replicate the rear whining, so whatever. If it really is the diff, then the whining will get worse, and when it does I can bring it back. I'm not going to force them to fix a problem I can't demonstrate. Maybe this will be an easier/quicker fix than I'd hoped.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Thanks very much for the update, Xaqtly. I'm very relieved to hear that you and your mechanic were able to cleverly duplicate the noise!

Hoping for a speedy fix,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.