Audi S6 - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree5Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Audi S6 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by CTS NV Audi's lying. Positively. I guess I have to do the math, but in the end ...
    TriTexan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Automobile?? Lake! Big Lake!!

Re: Audi S6

Quote Originally Posted by CTS NV View Post
    Audi's lying.
    Positively. I guess I have to do the math, but in the end we'll crunch the numbers. 0-60 times, even with unlimited traction, ultimately come down to the output of the engine over the rpm range. At 60 mph, a 4255 lb car has a known amount of kinetic energy. To impart that much kinetic energy to the car in 3.7 seconds requires a specific amount of force to be delivered over that 3.7 second interval. No amount of technology or traction can overcome the basic laws of physics. We should easily be able to calculate the theoretical HP and torque needed. Then we can PROVE that Audi is lying about the specs of the car and we'll have an exact number that is the MINIMUM output of that engine.

Anyone feel like cranking out the numbers? Here's a start:

Mass = 1930kg
    1/4 mile = 1320 ft = 402.336 m
    1/4 trap speed = 115mph = 51.4096 m/s

My rough math says that's about 272,658 Joules/sec, or about 365 horsepower at the rear (er, all four) wheels. That's the theoretical MIN needed to perform this feat, and that doesn't account for aero drag, rolling resistance, power needed to accelerate rotating masses like the wheels and such, or any other losses.

Someone check my math, but if we factor in 15% loss in the drivetrain, that's a MINIMUM of 430hp at the crank. Probably more like 460-470 once you factor in all the other losses I haven't calculated. Don't forget - that's an AVERAGE of 460hp...the engine's peak will probably be higher than the average. So this engine is probably peaking out around 500hp - that would make it appear someone is really dialing up the boost off those turbos.

Now I'm just throwing all this down off the top of my head, but the data doesn't pass the smell test at first blush. Can someone out there do a better job than me at properly calculating the minimum required RWHP (dangit - WHP) just based on the pure physics?

----------

Hot Rod magazine published this formula for backing into HP based on 1/4 mile times...

HP = [(MPH/234)^3 * Weight

So, 115mph/234^3 * 4255 lbs = ~505hp.

Between my math and a completely different route from Hot Rod magazine, we're getting similar results...this Audi needs 470-500hp to pull off this quarter mile time. And if you do the math, it needs even MORE to do 0-60 in 3.7 seconds.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by CTS NV View Post
    That 12.1 quarter mile says there's a lot more power under the hood.

Audi's N/A 4.2 v8 is rated 372 HP in the Audi A8. http://models.audiusa.com/a8/engines

How could twin turbochargers only bump output to 420 HP? There's no chance that number is right -- Audi's lying.
    possible, unlikely, but possible.

They only made 50 more HP with 2 turbos in the APB(2.7L V6) and that was based off the 200hp 2.8L.

TTuned is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 Cts-V650

about TIME! the V10 s6 was such a disappointment.

Good to see they are back to Turbos and better times! Now just add fat fenders so it will look different on the road than the base since we don't normally get RS versions.
    M5eater and M5eater like this.

Moneypenny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon (summer); 1999 Audi A4 Avant (winter)

Additional info: looks like Audi does indeed use a launch control on the S6. C/D claims their 3.7sec 0-60 was achieved with this feature. Their rolling start (5-60, no launch control) was 4.9 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by TTuned View Post
    about TIME! the V10 s6 was such a disappointment.

Good to see they are back to Turbos and better times! Now just add fat fenders so it will look different on the road than the base since we don't normally get RS versions.
    It's not like the good old days of $500 chips for an extra 80hp though. B8 people pay in excess of $1,000 for pre-made tunes because they're so loaded with subsystem computer crap these days.

DrVolkl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    It's not like the good old days of $500 chips for an extra 80hp though. B8 people pay in excess of $1,000 for pre-made tunes because they're so loaded with subsystem computer crap these days.
    I had a chipped B8 S4... it was no joke.. and yes, the flash was $1500 if I recall and I had to send my ecu to APR.

There's a chipped B8 doing high 11's in the 1/4. I bet money the S6 is underrated.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Moneypenny View Post
    Additional info: looks like Audi does indeed use a launch control on the S6. C/D claims their 3.7sec 0-60 was achieved with this feature. Their rolling start (5-60, no launch control) was 4.9 seconds.
    You're exactly right... Good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by DrVolkl View Post
    I had a chipped B8 S4... it was no joke.. and yes, the flash was $1500 if I recall and I had to send my ecu to APR.

There's a chipped B8 doing high 11's in the 1/4. I bet money the S6 is underrated.
    ...and APR has one of the least agressive tunes...

Otherwise... There's PROBABLY going to be an RS6 as well.. I'm guessing that'll be a very impressive car. Keep in mind the Mercedes-Benz CLS550 does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. I believe the E550 is even a bit quicker. These aren't AMGs or Ms... Regular cars are getting pretty fast...

There are a couple of conversations in the lounge about this stuff:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-0-60-4-a.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-0-60-3-a.html
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

Regular cars are getting pretty fast...
    well, I think we keep forgetting that all of these cars are the mid-tier versions of real sports sedans, that they typically cost beyond what a fully-loaded V2 does, that these cars are on brand new platforms and that the V2 , when it goes on sale for the 2013 Model year will be in it's 5th year run. It's old.

If I were spending $70K+ on a true german sports sedan, I'd wouldn't exactly expect to be left in the dust by some guy in a SHO. I mean, there is No smaller version of the CLS, it's the 550 or the CLS63 AMG, that's it, and we're talking about a Car that has a $50 option for a 2GB SD card.. so you're NOT going to be paying the base MSRP for one.

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

Quite a markup, those are only $5 now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.