Wagon fold-down seats FAIL
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By FLTRI
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Wagon fold-down seats FAIL in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Used my wagon with the seats folded down for the first time. I learned you CANNOT remove the headrests from ...
    TriTexan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Automobile?? Lake! Big Lake!!

Wagon fold-down seats FAIL

Used my wagon with the seats folded down for the first time. I learned you CANNOT remove the headrests from the rear seats. What?!?! That makes all that nice space behind the front seats basically useless. Didn't anyone test this during product development? The seats fold flat, which is really cool and useful. The tie-downs are well thought out, as is the cargo net and a few other bits. But the headrests stick right in the middle of the big space behind the front seats, which is a real downer.

Any other wagon owners annoyed by this? Does anyone have a way to remove the headrests without compromising their safety function when in place?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Moneypenny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon (summer); 1999 Audi A4 Avant (winter)

Re: Wagon fold-down seats FAIL

Hmmm, I hadn't noticed that yet. I've folded down the seats, but not for anything where I would want to use that space. You are correct, that is actually very usable space that should be accessible if we want it. I will check out my headrests this evening to see what sort of flexibility I can muster.

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Just checked mine, doesn't look like there is a way to remove, or even adjust them. That being said, they only extend a couple of inches forward of the bottom seat cushion. They really don't interfere with access to the rear seat floor that much...

TriTexan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Automobile?? Lake! Big Lake!!

Quote Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
    Just checked mine, doesn't look like there is a way to remove, or even adjust them. That being said, they only extend a couple of inches forward of the bottom seat cushion. They really don't interfere with access to the rear seat floor that much...
    Right - the floor is open, so you can put stuff down there. But what if you want to drop a bag or some luggage down there? It would be a really nice, fairly open space behind the front seat except for the headrests. I'm not saying the space isn't usable, but it just seems like the headrests in every other car with fold-down rear seats you can at least remove them if you want. They don't even have to be adjustable, just make them so I can take them out if I want. Like others have said - this lack of functionality that lesser cars have seems strikingly absent on this caliber of vehicle...

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    It may be a safety issue they didn't have time to engineer around...

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

If it's like the sedan rear headrests, there's a hidden release that you push from the front of the seat. There's a slot in the rod that this locks into. It's like a locking washer.

Moneypenny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon (summer); 1999 Audi A4 Avant (winter)

Quote Originally Posted by baabootoo View Post
    If it's like the sedan rear headrests, there's a hidden release that you push from the front of the seat. There's a slot in the rod that this locks into. It's like a locking washer.
    Just looked and saw nothing like this on mine. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist; might just mean I didn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moneypenny View Post
    Just looked and saw nothing like this on mine. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist; might just mean I didn't find it.
    Yes, it's hidden under the leather. Do they still have the two chrome rods on them like the sedans? Only one latches though. If so, it's a few inches down, underneath the leather. I took mine all the way apart and found it.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yeah they've got to come out somehow if I can sell just a headrest ...

if you need/want I can try and pull up the service info on removing and replacing a rear seat headrest in a wagon
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

if you need/want I can try and pull up the service info on removing and replacing a rear seat headrest in a wagon
    1) Disconnect negative battery cable...

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm curious how/if they come out too. If you have a chance to look that up, it would be great, and thanks!
    Moneypenny and Moneypenny like this.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

please send me a PM to remind me
    that way when i get to work on monday and check the forum there's no chance that i'll forget
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

You can see the two slots where a thin washer locks into. Since this is the back, the washers have to be pushed from the front to push them back, to release them from the slots. Then once the washers are released, the head rest pulls out. Again, this is on the sedan also.

V Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon-Raven Black, manual, satin graphite wheels

Crap, f'in photobucket made that pretty much unreadable.

Rear Seat Head Restraint

Procedure

1. Raise the head restraint to the full-up position.

2. Insert a small round tool into the guide hole.

3. Pull up to remove the head restraint.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.