Why doesn't GM upgrade the crappy sound system in the 70k CTS-V? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Why doesn't GM upgrade the crappy sound system in the 70k CTS-V? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Personally, I'd rather they put the money in the car drivetrain. I am an audiophile and have built a pretty ...
    stabie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V wagon

Re: Why doesn't GM upgrade the crappy sound system in the 70k CTS-V?

Personally, I'd rather they put the money in the car drivetrain. I am an audiophile and have built a pretty nice home system. I just don't get why anyone wants an uber expensive audio system in a car. The noise floor inside a car is like 60db (or more). Glass (highly reflective sonically) is everywhere. I am much more interested in stuff like xm, the ability to record cd, plug in a thumbdrive, integration with the nav, etc. I realize only casual listening is possible in a car, so I want a convenient car audio system that sounds decent. I think the caddy system meets that requirement. In the next version, I fully expect a "better" level of convenience, but I recognize that the current system is circa 2008, that upgrading an integrated system is almost impossible for the manufacturer, and that 4 years is an eternity in the electronics biz (I am in the IC biz). Remember back in 2008, our audio system was the only OEM system with a hard drive builtin for recording CD's, and one of very few that had a usb port.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I am assuming it's identical to the system in the regular CTS. I thought it was great for a factory system.

Besides, if you are complaining about the stereo in a 550 hp car, you are doing something wrong.

CTS-Vz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V
    No 'highs' and no 'lows' = Bose . I've also had plenty of other cars with better sound systems. Most import cars I've had use multiple mics in car for Active Sound Control. I think the Caddy just dials back power from the head unit to preemptively mute. Not a guru on this... Would prefer better sound system too!

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by stabie View Post
    ... I just don't get why anyone wants an uber expensive audio system in a car. The noise floor inside a car is like 60db (or more). Glass (highly reflective sonically) is everywhere. I am much more interested in stuff like xm, the ability to record cd, plug in a thumbdrive, integration with the nav, etc. I realize only casual listening is possible in a car, so I want a convenient car audio system that sounds decent. I think the caddy system meets that requirement. In the next version, I fully expect a "better" level of convenience, but I recognize that the current system is circa 2008, that upgrading an integrated system is almost impossible for the manufacturer, and that 4 years is an eternity in the electronics biz (I am in the IC biz). Remember back in 2008, our audio system was the only OEM system with a hard drive builtin for recording CD's, and one of very few that had a usb port.

great points

lets not forget that you can timeshift terrestrial radio with the HDD also ... awesome for commutes

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I am assuming it's identical to the system in the regular CTS. I thought it was great for a factory system.

Besides, if you are complaining about the stereo in a 550 hp car, you are doing something wrong.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
    I like the sound system in this car just fine. See, my right foot controls the volume.....

Seriously, I have no major quibbles with our Bose audio system. I consider myself a noobie audiophile and I have an excellent mid-range system in my home that is NOT made by Bose. I'd rather spend money on go-fast parts in my car.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i wonder how many people who think the sound quality is bad are listening to low quality mp3s ... or mp3's made from mp3's

compressing compressed music never is any good (technically called 'transcoding' - encoding from one compressed format to another)

for instance you turn a cd into mp3's ... then burn the mp3's to cd

if you then again convert that burnt cd to mp3's the sound quality of the second set of mp3s is going to be much lower than that of the first

here's a bit more info on transcoding: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....le=Transcoding
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I think the fact you can drop 9" Dynaudio ME182s right in the front doors is pimp!

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Yeah actually, I tried the remastered 5.1 DTS version of Steely Dan's "Gaucho" in the car (on the original CD, not from MP3) and frankly it sounded amazing. Best in the world, probably not - but I would be surprised if anybody complained about how it sounded. There is nothing about this system that makes me want to upgrade it. I'm not expecting it to be as good as a home system, because it's in a car, which is a terrible environment for audio.

That said, I also agree that Bose is generally all marketing and no quality. I would never, ever buy Bose anything for my home system. But in the V it's really not bad IMO. If you play something like that Gaucho CD which is arguably some of the world's best-produced music in terms of clarity and quality, it comes through pretty well.

It's worth noting that Bose does not make these stereos. Or the stereo in any car. They simply license out the name is my understanding.

SoCal_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan - diamond white / graphite wheels

While I'm sure this is mostly tongue-in-cheek, IMO this is a cop-out excuse.

I love my CTS-V, I love the 556HP, but we have to live w/the car inside & out, from the engine to (especially) the interior.

I don't use the 556HP 100% of the time. However, I'm sitting in the cockpit 100% of the time I'm in the car. Thus I'd like seats that don't rock, interior trim that doesn't look scratched, and a stereo that's appropriate for a $70,000 vehicle. Or at least the option to upgrade.

My Bose stereo sounds good enough that I won't upgrade it. But using the 556HP engine as 100% of the reason to like the car no matter what else isn't valid if our cars are to compete against the best in the world.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Are you not sleeping well?

JFJr is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Wtf?
    Jud

mrl859 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 White SRX Performance/2011 Radiant Silver CTS-V Coupe

Having had a 2006 Charger SRT8 with Kicker, and way too many other cars to think about, imho this is the BEST sounding stock system I have ever heard.

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Are you not sleeping well?
    LOL!

Rob

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.