recaro or not recaro ? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, recaro or not recaro ? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Before I ordered my V I drove both options and there was no question, Recaro's... They look much better then ...
    Pphilthy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Before I ordered my V I drove both options and there was no question, Recaro's... They look much better then the standard seats and offer the support required to hold you in place.... But I'm more of a turn left, turn right, hard on the brakes, back on the gas type of driver

To each their own, but I did laugh about person saying they wanted the faster drag race option and then they selected the manual - lol.

Blk N Blwn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV Coupe

Re: recaro or not recaro ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stillborn View Post
    i'll just nod and smile as if my wife was talking to me at this point, you're right hunny...you're right. just know it goes both ways. and don't be so high and mighty like your financed 2012 is any faster or better (mr. 6 cyl seats) then my owned outright 09. enjoy those payments brotha. =]
    How is that you know how I bought my car? You are one insecure dude, I am really glad you own your 09 outright and that you feel the need to let everyone know, heck it's 4 years old the note should be paid by now. Lol

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    The biggest problem is personal preferences, for some unknown baffling reason, get someone else's panties bunched up. Who gives a fat rat turd which seats someone picked for the reasons they picked them. You like yours, I like mine....so be it. It's all good, guys. No matter the seats we still drive a supreme machine.

Mike02z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Raven 6 speed manual

Guys, chill. They are just seats. No need to start attacking each other back and forth. If you like the stock seats that is great. That is why we have choices. There is no right or wrong here. Just opinions. I come here because it lacks the drama of other forums. Don't push those of us who like the atmosphere away for some silly no-win argument. Personal attacks are not appropriate and it does not matter who started it. One of you be an adult and STOP it, please.

h8-2goslow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 V Sport Wagon

I sat in both versions, with and without Recaros. I had to go without, because my head and neck are fused (arthritis) and I can't sit in a seat that pushes my head forward. Regular seats are also easier to get in and out of. I'm pleased with the stock seats.

Blk N Blwn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
    Guys, chill. They are just seats. No need to start attacking each other back and forth. If you like the stock seats that is great. That is why we have choices. There is no right or wrong here. Just opinions. I come here because it lacks the drama of other forums. Don't push those of us who like the atmosphere away for some silly no-win argument. Personal attacks are not appropriate and it does not matter who started it. One of you be an adult and STOP it, please.
    That's the point right. The OP is looking for opinions on which seats people prefer. Since I like the standard seats (and for the record I said nothing bad about the Recaro's) appearantly me and others have to justify our mistake and are non performance orientated , should have ordered the car without a SC or Brembo's and somehow someway I financed my car. F...cking really?!?!?

Nice forum you fella's got here, can't even offer an opinion without being slammed. My first Cadillac and the people on this forum are conveying the exempletory stereotype of V owners. Now I know why I like the Mopar folks.

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

I had the base leather seats in my '08 CTS, and have the Recaros in my '09 V. I have also had other CTSs as loaners, which gives me a good perspective on both seats. IMO, the Recaros are vastly superior to the base seat, both in comfort and lateral support. All of these seats are compromised by their thin shell design, so none of them have a lot of padding. The Recaro has firmer foam, and has more shaping, plus has 14 way adjustment. With the correct adjustment, they can be superbly comfortable, including all day long distance comfort. Unfortunately, it's also easy to make them uncomfortable, too. The adjustment is really critical to the comfort, but it's worth it once found. I doubt most journalists would take the time to adjust the seats as they might need to be, as they jump from car to car so often. Part of the problem is there isn't a true seat "pocket" for the buttocks as many cars have, or rely on soft padding to create. With the Recaro, one most adjust the seat bottom to be all the way down in the back and up in the front, and that creates the necessary pocket. then the backrest gets adjusted, especially the lumbar. Lastly, the headrest must be somewhat raised for most people to have their heads clear the head rest. Not everyone is used to tilting the seat all the way back, but I do think that's one of the tricks. Everyone who sits in my seats comment on how comfortable they are. When I first got the car, they were poorly adjusted and tortuous in comfort, and it took me two weeks to get them comfortable. No regrets now.

The base seats have weaker padding. While less critical of adjustment, the lack of support caused me to fidget a lot more on long trips, plus there was virtually no lateral support in the curves, just basically the safety belts. I found myself to be a lot more fatigued after driving a car with the base seats than with the Recaros.

There can be some other caveats, though. If someone is very broad, they may not fit the Recaro. I take a 42" jacket, so I'm not tiny, but I'm not huge, either. Someone much larger than me might not fit them, and might actually get some lateral support from the base seats as well. The base seats are much easier to enter, and especially exit. I find the exit feature to be a necessity with the Recaro, but don't really need it with the base seat. With the exit feature, it has become a non-issue for me, though. Someone with long legs will find the base seats to be pretty short, and the Recaro has adjustable thigh support, so that can be an issue for some people in favor of the Recaro.. While the head rest on the base seat isn't quite as intrusive as the one in the Recaro, I think it benefits from being raised a bit also, to give more head clearance and more comfort if you actually want to rest your head. Lastly, while the cooling feature in the Recaro is nice, it's not as critical as it might be in the cars with leather, because the cloth inserts are not that hot, and breathe much better. The effect was really more noticeable for me in my previous car with the leather. Still, the cooling feature is quite pleasant, and it certainly doesn[t suck to have it.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)

Quote Originally Posted by marktanner View Post
    With the Recaro, one most adjust the seat bottom to be all the way down in the back and up in the front, and that creates the necessary pocket. Not everyone is used to tilting the seat all the way back, but I do think that's one of the tricks. Everyone who sits in my seats comment on how comfortable they are.
    Good review, Mark. I have the same experience with the standard seats. The combination of the standard seats and the soft suspension of the base CTS makes it tiring for me to put up with the uncoordinated movements of the suspension and to keep from sliding in its seats.

Tilting the back of the Recaros is a good trick. It is more of a "fighter pilot" position to help with countering g-forces. Ha haa! When I raise the entire seat for good visibility and tilt it back slightly, I also get a great driving position for the manual transmission. I'm 6' 185# and size 44 jacket.

Jud
    Jud

Mike02z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Raven 6 speed manual

There can be some other caveats, though. If someone is very broad, they may not fit the Recaro. I take a 42" jacket, so I'm not tiny, but I'm not huge, either. Someone much larger than me might not fit them, and might actually get some lateral support from the base seats as well. The base seats are much easier to enter, and especially exit. I find the exit feature to be a necessity with the Recaro, but don't really need it with the base seat. With the exit feature, it has become a non-issue for me, though. Someone with long legs will find the base seats to be pretty short, and the Recaro has adjustable thigh support, so that can be an issue for some people in favor of the Recaro.. While the head rest on the base seat isn't quite as intrusive as the one in the Recaro, I think it benefits from being raised a bit also, to give more head clearance and more comfort if you actually want to rest your head. Lastly, while the cooling feature in the Recaro is nice, it's not as critical as it might be in the cars with leather, because the cloth inserts are not that hot, and breathe much better. The effect was really more noticeable for me in my previous car with the leather. Still, the cooling feature is quite pleasant, and it certainly doesn[t suck to have it.

I don't know about that....I'm 6'3" and 300 lbs and fit perfectly in the Recaros. It took a while to get them set right, but once I did, they fit me perfectly. I also have back problems and the V with the Recaros in the only car I have (We have 5) that does not hurt my back during long trips. For me, I prefer the Recaros. I don't really care that they cost 3400. I don't really care about resale. I bought them because they worked better for me. If the stock seats work better for some, great. Nothing wrong with that. We all have different tastes.
    JFJr, JFJr, Moneypenny and 1 others like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike02z

I don't know about that....I'm 6'3" and 300 lbs and fit perfectly in the Recaros. It took a while to get them set right, but once I did, they fit me perfectly. I also have back problems and the V with the Recaros in the only car I have (We have 5) that does not hurt my back during long trips. For me, I prefer the Recaros. I don't really care that they cost 3400. I don't really care about resale. I bought them because they worked better for me. If the stock seats work better for some, great. Nothing wrong with that. We all have different tastes.
    You and I are about the same size. Ive said it before, but I'll say it again.

When I bought my V, it was in San Antonio. I sat in Recaros before and liked them. After 3 hours, my back was killing me. I was distraught. But, I opened everything up. Then, over the next few hours I tailored everything back in.

For the next few weeks, I tweaked ever so slightly. That original trip from TX to MA was great. I've never felt anything but comfort in my Recaros. And amazing support.

When I badly pulled my back last fall, a day of driving in my Town Car would wear me out. And it was painful leaving the seat. Id feel worse leaving than when I got in and sat down. I hadn't driven the V and wanted to take it out on a drive. Not only did the support help my back, but my back felt better getting out than when I first got in.

And last summer, I was driving home from Charlotte. I went west to Tail of the Dragon and drove that. I was going to find a hotel around northern Virginia. When I got to Richmond it was late. But I decided to drive some Blue Ridge Parkway. What better time, right? After a couple hours, I got back to the Interstate. When I got really tired, it was too late to get a hotel. So I found a big Sheetz gas station right off the highway and slept there for 4 hours.

Got up and drive the rest of the way home. Recaros are better than the base seats and better than beds...
    Mike02z, Mike02z, M5eater and 1 others like this.

CTS-V Dragon Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by rchunn View Post
    i am interested in a perticular cts v that dont have recaros , and i am wanting the cts v for "power and comfort" are the recaros as confortable as the standard seats in these cars .. thanks ahead for your input, Randy
    My '09 CTS-V has the standard seats, and I'm considering the possibility of buying a pair of used Recaro's for this vehicle. The standard seats really have no lateral support and I never feel I'm being kept in my seat. And on top of that, anything I put on the passenger seat goes flying off the side, because there is nothing there to stop it. I am comparing this to my '09 Nissan GT-R, which I know is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Then again, my previous DD was an '05 Audi S4, which had Recaro seats, and I felt they were very good.

BigDog001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Black Diamond V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
    I am 6'6" and have the Recaro's - I agree with all the comments that once you get the right adjustment for yourself they are wonderful -- I love them and never feel like I am sliding around -- they are great!

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

The only problem I have with the Recaro's anymore is that they're so damn flat and hard, but then again, all real recaro's are flat and hard. They're a good compromise that leans more twoard a track seat, but in my experience, there are thrones that compromise better for comfort *and* still hold you tightly.

The reason you want Recaro's in the V2 is because the standard Lear seat are even worse. They're small, they're unsupportive even in the base car, and in a V you *will* be sliding everywhere.

Cadillac really needed an -inbetween- for the 3.6/touring sedans and what would be 'standard' in the V like the germans have.
    A comfort seat- the standard lear
    a sport seat- the SRX seats are wider and with some more bolstering would have been perfect
    The full Recaro's for the V.
    concorso and concorso like this.

94danstang is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 V Sedan

The base seats are much easier to enter, and especially exit. I find the exit feature to be a necessity with the Recaro, but don't really need it with the base seat. With the exit feature, it has become a non-issue for me, though. it.
    Mark - curious what this 'exit feature' is that you were talking about? Haven't heard of that before.

Also - noticed you were in Hot-Lanta. Any club or track events in the area that you know of?

Thanks!

DAN

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blk N Blwn View Post
    That's the point right. The OP is looking for opinions on which seats people prefer. Since I like the standard seats (and for the record I said nothing bad about the Recaro's) appearantly me and others have to justify our mistake and are non performance orientated , should have ordered the car without a SC or Brembo's and somehow someway I financed my car. F...cking really?!?!?

Nice forum you fella's got here, can't even offer an opinion without being slammed. My first Cadillac and the people on this forum are not conveying the exemplary stereotype of V owners. Now I know why I like the Mopar folks.
    Theres no need to paint everyone with the same brush... Only 1 individual was a dick. PS...fixed in bold :P

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.