Why a pop-up nav screen?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Why a pop-up nav screen? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So this is my first few days with the new V. Really like it so far, but a few things ...
    TriTexan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Automobile?? Lake! Big Lake!!

Why a pop-up nav screen?

So this is my first few days with the new V. Really like it so far, but a few things have made me go, "Huh?". The pop-up nav screen is one of them. I know the console looks cleaner, sexier, whatever without the screen fully visible, but it appears to me there is room for the screen to fit in the center stack (where the clock and two radio dials/knobs are) without having to resort to the up/down business.

My observations are pretty simple. The use of the pop-up screen places it just a little farther away from the driver than if it were lower and in the center stack. This wouldn't be an issue except that it is also a touch screen. I find that some on-screen buttons, especially those in the upper right corner of the screen, are just a bit too far of a reach.

I also find it annoying when I try to use a function that requires the full screen, I have to manually raise it (you get this message, "Nav screen must be UP to use this function" or something like that). Hey car - if you KNOW the screen needs to be up, why not raise it for me?

Further, the screen raises and lowers a bit slow - yes, it is smooth and very quiet which is impressive, but I'm impatient and waiting for that thing to go up and down just seems a waste of time.

I haven't explored the nav, traffic, and other on-screen features fully so I can't comment on those yet. So far, things seem fairly intuitive.

What is everyone else's take? Do you like or hate the pop-up screen? If so, why or why not?
    TexasCTS-V and TexasCTS-V like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

allinmyhead is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Why a pop-up nav screen?

Yeah, I don't really get the whole, 'Nav screen needs to be up to use this function' thing either? I'm like, okay so raise it.
    brlong23, brlong23, Rockey and 1 others like this.

commander112 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan White/Recaro/Manual/Polished

I agree that the system should self raise the screen if it is required for use with a feature. It is just logical to do so automatically. The screen self raises when the back up camera is on why not on other features. I am going to assume that it is because when the car first came out the nav system and pop up screen where options and they never went back to fix the programming when it became standard equipment. Since the back up camera was added later once the nav system became standard it was programmed properly from the beginning.
    As for why the pop up screen in the first place, it was a marketing gimmick to give the car some "wow" factor to compete against other near luxury cars out there that had their own pop up stuff back in '08. Just how the car business is. They are always looking over each other's shoulder to see who comes up with something that catches on with consumers. Notice how every vehicle has side vents these days?
    TriTexan and TriTexan like this.

Moneypenny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon (summer); 1999 Audi A4 Avant (winter)

Not a fan of the pop-up aspect. That servomotor is just something else that will break somewhere down the line and cost $1500 in labor to take apart the entire dash to replace. I wish (and maybe there is a way that I just don't know about) that I could have it just stay up all the time and not automatically lower when I turn the car off.
    TriTexan and TriTexan like this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Good, candid discussion so far. Thanks for the feedback, you all! I'll keep checking back to see if others have shared their opinions as well.

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1

It doesn't bother me, but it does appear a bit gimmicky. I'm sure Cadillac is planning on a fixed larger Nav screen with the V3 (next gen CTS).

DangFoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan: Black Diamond Tri-Coat
    I traded a 2010 Cadillac SRX for the V and the NAV system was 10x better in that Crossover, which is baffling when considering my V is a newer model year and at a higher price point. The interior on the SRX is also nicer than the V overall, but I understand that the designs are focused differently, so not a big deal in the overall scheme of things.

The NAV in the V is terrible like those found in Mercedes. I now use my iPhone for my GPS needs.

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Quote Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
    I traded a 2010 Cadillac SRX for the V and the NAV system was 10x better in that Crossover...
    My wife just got an SRX too. I helped her set up her Phone/Nav/Bluetooth/OnStar etc. and was shocked at how much cooler and better designed the system was than the one in the V. I'm assuming it's a generational thing rather than a model year thing. If it makes you feel any better, talk to a C6 Corvette owner. It's even more old fashioned than the V's system.

I just leave mine down most of the time, unless I know I'm going to be using the Nav. I actually wish I could set up the backup camera to stay off and leave the screen down, unless I needed it. It's more annoying than helpful anyway...

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Dude, the screen stays down unless needed. Which is like 5% of the time to look at traffic. I realize some yuppies can't leave their driveway without their nav system on but that's not me....

Having the screen down, where it belongs, and just the mini-window showing is a perfect solution.

pmsteinm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (Blue Diamond Manual/Recaros/Nav/Suede/Polished)

I leave mine down most of the time too because I don't use the Nav much, the screen rattles when up, and I figure it's one more thing to break.

I like it down at the track because it's out of the way, but I did notice when leaving VIR that the Full Course is actually in the Nav, which is kind of neat.

DiamondWhtV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
    I like it down at the track because it's out of the way, but I did notice when leaving VIR that the Full Course is actually in the Nav, which is kind of neat.
    I can just see it now...A voice comes on while racing at the track.."Right turn ahead"...or at the finish line .. "Your destination is ahead on the right"

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I leave it down at the track but keep it up all other times. I'm always updating the database in my head and like the nav on even when I know exactly where I am...

Captain McFunk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 DW CTS-V Sedan

I just REALLY wish there was a clock on the screen. that is insane to me that there is no digital clock on the screen.

commander112 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan White/Recaro/Manual/Polished

Quote Originally Posted by Captain McFunk View Post
    I just REALLY wish there was a clock on the screen. that is insane to me that there is no digital clock on the screen.
    Ummm, why? There is a big dial clock staring you right in the face at all times. Mommy not teach you about the big hands and little hands (j/k)?
    TexasCTS-V and TexasCTS-V like this.

quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, talk to a C6 Corvette owner. It's even more old fashioned than the V's system.
    Yes, yes, and yes. The Nav is the C6 is a joke. It has the resolution of my old Atari system in the 80's. The V is much better than the Z, but it's still inferior to most new gen Nav systems out there.

Me thinks Cadillac is going to fix all of this with the new CUE (sp?) system they have coming out in the new Cadillacs and I'm sure the C7 will have a dramatically better interior tech package.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
    That is REALLY cool! I wonder if they have Motorsport Ranch here outside of Fort Worth. That would be awesome.

Nav voice lady: "brake, brake, brake, turn in at the apex in 3, 2, 1...okay feed in the throttle, full throttle, go, go go...brake, brake brake, turn-in."

That would be awesome.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.