Why a pop-up nav screen? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree13Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Why a pop-up nav screen? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; But it takes up no forward view of the windshield......
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    But it takes up no forward view of the windshield...

captain slow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Re: Why a pop-up nav screen?

I like the idea of adding life and drama to the driving experience. Everyone who gets in my car loves the pop-up screen but the voice system is horrible. I don't like the way you search for destinations either. My 2008 and 2009 Nissan Maxima's had the best nav interface of all the cars I have owned. I also owned a 2008 and 2010 Jeep Cherokee SRT8.

Overall I like the idea of the pop-up screen just fix the glitches. If the screen needs to be up to do what I want to do put it up dont make me push the button, voice prompts need to be better, and I should be able to just say a destination and it should figure it out.

DarkStar76 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V, 2012 CTS-V Coupe

It's annoying. The user-interface for electronics was not a strong point in my '06V, and it's not much better in my '12. I'd rather keep the screen down, but some features are only available via touchscreen. Even worse, some features that can be accessed from the controls on the dash only work when the screen is up. (like selecting an artist for some music.) We build a lot of interfaces for users where I work... had this project been dropped in our lap, the approach would probably have been to build a UI interface. Then design a touch-screen UI that can do EVERYTHING. And then design dash controls that are ALSO capable of EVERYTHING. That way, the user can decide what is most convenient.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    But it takes up no forward view of the windshield...
    Yeah, it doesn't interfere with the view. In my car the top edge of the screen doesn't raise above the backward edge of the dash. What are you guys talking about? Maybe your seats are way too low. We are talking about a high performance car, not a Buick or a Toyota, after all.

Jud
    Jud

Kluch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 V

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the analog clock and the 2 nobs next to it in the V, but that was all done originally because it shares the platform with the standard CTS where the nav is optional (and even the 2009 v's)

I think girls just like to bitch...

Nastyctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe Black Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by cdog533 View Post
    Dude, the screen stays down unless needed. Which is like 5% of the time to look at traffic. I realize some yuppies can't leave their driveway without their nav system on but that's not me....

Having the screen down, where it belongs, and just the mini-window showing is a perfect solution.
    I agree with cdog......my screen stays down 90% of the time and is totally un-obtrusive. Overall I think that the layout of the cabin is clean and easy to navigate. My .02

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

I usually keep the screen up, to get all current information, especially traffic info. That said, I really love the graphics displayed when the screen is down. The NAV does work with the screen down, after setting up the destination via the touch screen or OnStar. The screen has to be up initially, but then can be lowered. You will lose the map, of course, but you will still have the voice directions and gongs. It's particularly useful late at night on the highway, where the map screen can be a bit distracting in the total darkness.

V Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon-Raven Black, manual, satin graphite wheels

Why a pop up nav screen? Well, I had a car with CUE in it home the other night. My fiance' gets in to check it out and her first comment was "why doesn't it [the screen] go away?" She has had lasik and lights at night bother her. She likes that she can completely put the screen down in my V. Although I don't think the lack of a hide away screen will keep us from buying one of the cars I had home at some point.

Car with CUE?

The new Cadillac HMI, CUE. Cadillac User Experience.

CUE.

Or when I stop being sort of a smart ass, were you asking, what car would you have that would have that in it?

Yes.

ATS, they are wonderful little cars to drive, even in FE2 AWD form.

hmm...

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.