Why a pop-up nav screen? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Why a pop-up nav screen? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Captain McFunk I just REALLY wish there was a clock on the screen. that is insane to ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain McFunk
    I just REALLY wish there was a clock on the screen. that is insane to me that there is no digital clock on the screen.
    Yes, we know...

lulz

DiamondWhtV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Re: Why a pop-up nav screen?

Has anyone ever seen when the nav pops up all you see is a full screen compass and no map of any kind? Happened to me once when fiddling with some of the dials. Can't duplicate since. Just curious.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondWhtV View Post
    Has anyone ever seen when the nav pops up all you see is a full screen compass and no map of any kind? Happened to me once when fiddling with some of the dials. Can't duplicate since. Just curious.
    That happens when your road is not on the database. The system thinks you are off road. Ha haa!

Jud
    Jud

Yeah, if you're on a new road or highway or in a big lot, it will just give you a compass. Perfectly normal...

Mike02z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Raven 6 speed manual

The pop up screen does not bother me that much. The horrible voice system to work the NAV when moving does! I thought the Sync Nav was inferior but that is an amazing system compared to the voice system in the V. That plus no streaming BT audio has me scratching my head. I mean we are talking a 65-73K car here.

elphil is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Really Cool '11 CTS-V Wagon

Few months ago pulled into a parking lot. Took the ticket stub and slipped it into the nav' screen slot without paying attention. When I came back to the car I couldn't find the stub. It had slipped down into the console. Instead of two bucks to get out of the lot it cost me eight dollars. Pop up screen still working fine.

litig8r187 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Black Raven CTS-V Murdered

Definitely not a fan of the pop up screen and the overall technology is pretty antiquated. My wife's 2011 Genesis 4.6 and my Mother-in-law's 2012 Chrysler 300C have much better systems than the Caddy. I would much prefer a good 8" screen with good touch screen controls. At least if they used a decent double DIN crap radio, I could replace it with a quality aftermarket unit like an AVIC.

One of the reasons (there were certainly more significant reasons) I didn't replace my SRT Jeep with a 2012 model was the crappy old gen technology they put in a $65K Jeep when the $25K Chrysler had their state of the art stuff.

Put in quality top of the line stuff and make it upgradable. If you cant make a decent nav system, sub out to Garmin or someone that knows what they are doing. Realize that smart phones are our links to the world and the system needs to be upgradable to keep up with the 18-24 month cycle of phone improvements.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

I like the pop-up screen. I don't need to see the screen all the time. There are a few quirks in its function but overall I'm satisfied with it.

I would like it better if CUE were in it, it's far ahead of the current software.

The CTS came out in '07 as '08 models. I'm not surprised tech has not vastly improved. Cadillac has done it right with CUE.

Wait or STFU...

CTS-Vz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I like the stealth aspect of being able to raise/lower. I pretty much leave it up all the time unless I'm highway driving and keeping a watch for Smokeys. All in all I think the Nav kind of sucks...if you know where you're going but still ask for GPS for guidance half the time it takes you a much longer way.

Is there a way to update maps/interface for a '10 V?

DiamondWhtV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Yeah, if you're on a new road or highway or in a big lot, it will just give you a compass. Perfectly normal...
    Thanks, did not know that! The only other thing I wish was the touch key board was displayed like a typing keyboard. I am so use to typing that trying to find the various letters that are in sequence is not very intuitive.

Moparman4444 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

youhave hit on a real hot for me as well. Ican't belive that Caddy did such a good job with most of the car yet droppedthe ball so badly with the radio and the nav screen.It makes no sense to me.

TriTexan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Automobile?? Lake! Big Lake!!

Quote Originally Posted by cdog533 View Post
    Dude, the screen stays down unless needed.
    Um, not it doesn't. That's part of my problem - the thing SOMETIMES goes up automatically when needed (like when in reverse), and sometimes it asks you to manually raise it. I'm not some yuppie that can't drive without the nav on. But I do have people that work for me who design software and technology systems for a living, and they'd never come up with such an awkward and as someone put it, gimmicky solution as this. Apple would never design an iPhone or iPad like this. No, they do an excellent job of making things clean, intuitive, and uncomplicated. This nav screen thing is none of that. Yes, it works. And I like it in the down position most of the time. I just think there's a simpler, elegant, and more intuitive solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Moparman4444 View Post
    youhave hit on a real hot for me as well. Ican't belive that Caddy did such a good job with most of the car yet droppedthe ball so badly with the radio and the nav screen.It makes no sense to me.
    What was dropped about the radio? The sound is light years ahead of the V1, the XM is light years better with better reception and sound and it has USB, a hard drive, aux and Bluetooth.

The gen was started in '07. Cadillac let it be as it focused on getting the mechanicals of the V ready. Technology in '07 is trumped by '12 in everything. You are using revisionist history. The V in '08 may not have been cutting edge in tech, but it wasn't as bad as you guys claim...
    neuronbob, neuronbob, JFJr and 1 others like this.

BLEWBYUWIT6.2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v 2003 TOWN CAR

Quote Originally Posted by mike02z View Post
    the pop up screen does not bother me that much. The horrible voice system to work the nav when moving does! I thought the sync nav was inferior but that is an amazing system compared to the voice system in the v. that plus no streaming bt audio has me scratching my head. I mean we are talking a 65-73k car here.
    agreed 110%...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.