nasty rattle in rear of my wagon
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, nasty rattle in rear of my wagon in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; searched but didn't find anything specifically related to my apparent issue with a rattle or whatever to call it. it ...
    VTKE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon

nasty rattle in rear of my wagon

searched but didn't find anything specifically related to my apparent issue with a rattle or whatever to call it. it seems to be the floor of the rear section of the wagon. it's a plastic folding piece covered with carpet. i've checked the compressor section cover and everything including my corsa, but it still rattles on rough bumps. anyone else have this problem on an 09 plus?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Griffin337 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: nasty rattle in rear of my wagon

So far, knock on wood, that is one problem i dont yet have..

i've pulled everything out you could and used pipe insulation to stop all the rattles i could force by hand, but i keep coming back to the folding floor. driving me insane...

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Pull the battery box door and check in there. That's where mine was...

I am going to go out and see if i can find anything.. most of the time i have the stereo pretty loud so i dont hear the rear end whine.

Quote Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
    Pull the battery box door and check in there. That's where mine was...
    that was actually my first thought as well. battery is locked down tight and i can't find anything else in there to cause it. i bought some rubber sticky back weather stripping to put under the floor lid and the compressor area cover. i'll post the results. i really hate to say this, but i didn't have the problem until the corsa went on. it takes a lot of pushing and pulling to make it touch anything under the car, but it seems the noise is much more frequent at high operating temp. i know exhaust expands at temp because the tips stick out almost a half an inch further when hot. this puts the mufflers very close to the rear most hangers brackets. hope i'm wrong.

I put my corsa on Sat am. Checked it several times and no rubbing/hitting noises etc.. Are you sure the noise is new with the exhaust? Does it always happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin337 View Post
    I put my corsa on Sat am. Checked it several times and no rubbing/hitting noises etc.. Are you sure the noise is new with the exhaust? Does it always happen?
    i wish i could swear to it, but i can't. i just never heard it before that. i isolated everything in the back with the soft rubber and still have the rattle/bumping noise to a lessor degree. that could be because i haven't hit the roughest road yet. when i say rough, for where i live it is, but other parts of the country it's probably pretty mild. what really sets it off is when both rear wheels hit the same bump at the same time like a fairly smooth railroad crossing or pavement filler that crosses the entire lane.
    i'm almost to the point of living with it.

well.... i believe i have finally conquered the noise and determined it's cause. after realigning the corsa for at least the fifth time and perfectly centering the tips in the cutouts, road testing it to the extreme with hard cornering and excessive bumps, i no longer have the noise. keep in mind that over three days time i have isolated every possible thing with soft rubber (one at a time for diagnostic purposes) and finally end up with the ever so slight misalignment of the exhaust to be the culprit.
    word to the wise; align it, check all the hangers to make sure they are where they will be after some rough road driving by tugging and pulling in all possible directions, road test the heck out of it at full operating temperature then check it again. please understand this is not in any way a bad review of the product rather an encouragement for due diligence when installing or possibly pay the price of having to do what i did and the possible loss of sanity in the process.

Glad you got it taken care off! Mine is going back in tomorrow for the rear end whine.. i will definitely check mine to make sure its tight and hangers are all good.. but so far i have had no issues...

Was it both sides?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin337 View Post
    Glad you got it taken care off! Mine is going back in tomorrow for the rear end whine.. i will definitely check mine to make sure its tight and hangers are all good.. but so far i have had no issues...

Was it both sides?
    i believe it was. both tips were too close to the inside part of the cutouts causing them to bump slightly with a moderate to heavy jolt. if you center them, it would take running over a curb at 20 MPH to make them hit either side. sorry about the rear end whine. taking mine in for fluid checks to be sure all is well.

Teutonaddict is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 6MN Vagon OBM

Quote Originally Posted by VTKE View Post
    word to the wise; align it, check all the hangers to make sure they are where they will be after some rough road driving by tugging and pulling in all possible directions, road test the heck out of it at full operating temperature then check it again. please understand this is not in any way a bad review of the product rather an encouragement for due diligence when installing or possibly pay the price of having to do what i did and the possible loss of sanity in the process.
    Good advice! With these stainless systems and the incredibly tight tolerances through the routing to the back of the car, it's not at all unusual for ANY aftermarket system to move from its initial install. Stainless expands a lot when at operating temp, and is prone to move around. I, too, had a rattle appear some time after initial install, and it wasn't apparent to me until up on a lift. Went to my local custom muffler shop and had them play around with it until no clearance issues when cold or hot. Glad you found your solution!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by VTKE View Post
    well.... i believe i have finally conquered the noise and determined it's cause. after realigning the corsa for at least the fifth time and perfectly centering the tips in the cutouts, road testing it to the extreme with hard cornering and excessive bumps, i no longer have the noise. keep in mind that over three days time i have isolated every possible thing with soft rubber (one at a time for diagnostic purposes) and finally end up with the ever so slight misalignment of the exhaust to be the culprit.
    Glad to see you were able to resolve the issue this weekend, VTKE! I was very sorry to hear about your frustrations, and I wanted to quickly jump on this thread to thank you for posting your update so the community can benefit from your experience.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Glad to see you were able to resolve the issue this weekend, VTKE! I was very sorry to hear about your frustrations, and I wanted to quickly jump on this thread to thank you for posting your update so the community can benefit from your experience.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service
    appreciate you watching the forum and your comments.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonaddict View Post
    Good advice! With these stainless systems and the incredibly tight tolerances through the routing to the back of the car, it's not at all unusual for ANY aftermarket system to move from its initial install. Stainless expands a lot when at operating temp, and is prone to move around. I, too, had a rattle appear some time after initial install, and it wasn't apparent to me until up on a lift. Went to my local custom muffler shop and had them play around with it until no clearance issues when cold or hot. Glad you found your solution!
    going to my muffler shop to have four spot welds on each of the joints to lock it where it is. too much effort to let slip even a little bit. i don't have the good fortune to have access to a lift so up the ramps, down the ramps and so on.

thanks to all those who posted on this thread (and others). that's why forums are so valuable.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.