Gut feeling is there is something wrong (or at least not running right)...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Gut feeling is there is something wrong (or at least not running right)... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So this is my first post on these forums. I have owned my CTS-V now since December 2011. It is ...
    AfAdam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

Gut feeling is there is something wrong (or at least not running right)...

So this is my first post on these forums. I have owned my CTS-V now since December 2011. It is a 2010 CST-V Sedan with approximately 27K on it (just over 20K when purchased; I am the second owner). The car was purchased from a Cadillac dealership with the balance of the factory warrenty and the extended Cadillac bumper to bumper warrently. The car is bone stock and the previous owner was a middle age bank CEO in NE Indiana. I absolutely love the vehicle and haven't had any of the other common issues that I have been reading about on this board (yet), except for I feel underwhelmed with the performance. I previously had a lightly modded SRT-4 and my V feels only slightly faster that that was. I have also been many times in a friends new M3 and have been passenger in a M5 on the Nurenbergring. Both felt faster. From reading on this board discriptions on how easy it is for others to get their wheels loose and how the car should be performing, my gut tells me something with mine is off. First I live in Colorado Springs with a common altitude between 5800-6200 feet. I know that this accounts for some loss... I also am not getting the normal boost range as reflected by the gauge. I know its not known to be extremely accurate but I am averaging 5-6psi, never more. Also in sport mode I am lucky to get any wheelspin from a launch and only slightly with TC off. Not what I'd expect fromt he second fastest/most powerful sedan in the market...

So, tomorrow I am getting a baseline dyno and next week I am taking her in to the dealership. Not sure what I am looking for or expecting, but I just know there is something missing with the performance.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to get at the dyno or what to ask when I take it in to the dealership...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Re: Gut feeling is there is something wrong (or at least not running right)...

Try that burnout maneuver one more time after holding your Traction Control button for about 5 seconds to totally disable it and let us know what it does then. We can go from there.

DiamondWhtV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

No question that boost will go lower as altitude increases. But you still should be feeling all the performance that the V has. Something is definitely wrong. The last time someone posted this problem from Colorado turned ut to be something with the boost control/split hose?

You might try a search on this forum, it was about 2 years ago.

Glad you posted. Stick around. I believe your problem can be resolved.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

My '04 V felt slow. But only because 400hp felt unreal compared to what I had driven before. Once I raced a fellow SHO owner's '02 M5 on the Bay Bridge in San Fran, that perception changed. My '09 has never felt slow, though...

I will try a few launches today under different TC settings and report back. Also will throw up the dyno numbers when I get them. I also checked the set screw on the boost bypass assembly last night. It was firmly in place and wasn't budging (unlike others who said it was loose/finger tight). I re-secured the two mount bolts ensuring the set screw was just in contact with the gate. Took it for a spin and still a hair below 6psi.

Thanks for the inputs thus far...

So on the way home I tried 7 launches from a stop. All were in sport transmission/suspension mode. 3 with TC totally disabled as advised, 2 in competition, 2 in normal mode. 5 of the 7 launches were on pavement and two were on concrete. Of the 7 launches 5 didn't even chirp the tires, one (in regular TC mode, on slick concrete) spun them up to about 30mph, and the other (TC comp mode, concrete) only chirped them for an instant. Boost still never passed about 5-6psi. It lags and then raised to 3ish and climbed to 5ish through 1st gear. So...this doesn't make me feel any better about my feelings like something is wrong. Dyno tomorrow

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

Doesn't sound right at all. I wouldn't be shocked at all if you are way down on power.

buddyg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I wouldn't even waste time with a dyno there is definitely something wrong. Take it straight to the dealer!

Quote Originally Posted by buddyg View Post
    I wouldn't even waste time with a dyno there is definitely something wrong. Take it straight to the dealer!
    Thats what is really bugging me. It isn't driving rough at all. Smooth shifts, no excessive noise from the S/C, just shit for power... Is there any way to see if its throwing any codes that aren't triggering any visible lamps/alarms without a scanner?

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

I would do the regular maintenance just because you dont know how hard your V was driven. First off I would make sure you have the stock tune in there. Than I would break down maintenance checks in this order....

1. Clean your maf sensor & replace air filter
    2. Replace /check your supercharger belts
    3. New spark plugs
    4. Replace your 02 sensors ( just because it doesnt trigger a check engine light doesnt mean its running badly )

Your first best bet though is running it on the dyno- run it on the dyno with a wideband so you can see your air/fuel across the band. Thats the best start.

Moneypenny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon (summer); 1999 Audi A4 Avant (winter)

I might do the dyno anyway, and then have the figures handy to show the dealer. Also a nice memento to have a as a "before and after" for when you go to the dyno again after getting all squared away.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    I would do the regular maintenance just because you dont know how hard your V was driven. First off I would make sure you have the stock tune in there. Than I would break down maintenance checks in this order....

1. Clean your maf sensor & replace air filter
    2. Replace /check your supercharger belts
    3. New spark plugs
    4. Replace your 02 sensors ( just because it doesnt trigger a check engine light doesnt mean its running badly )

Your first best bet though is running it on the dyno- run it on the dyno with a wideband so you can see your air/fuel across the band. Thats the best start.
    Thanks all for the inputs. I was looking a little deeper on your suggestions and noticed other posts about having a problem with drop-in K&N filters. Appears the oil may quickly deposit on the MAF sensor. I will be cleaning that tomorrow (along with replacing the K&N). Still going to the dyno at 1pm and making an appointment with the dealership to drop her off. Depending on what they find/tell me I may request a check of all fluids, #2, 3 and 4, and any scheduled 30K maintenance. I will post up the dyno results when I get them. Still feeling discouraged because I don't think the car has been 100% since I've owned it, but looking forward to moving toward some solutions...

Cheers!

mannyz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS(Sold) Black 09 V

Yea something is probably not right. I lived in 4K altitude before, and walked on a Stage 3 50trim SRT-4 stock. Tires should light up pretty easy espcially with TC off.

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

I wonder if a set of your cats are plugged up?

This morning I cleaned the MAF sensor before taking it to the dyno. I really didn't feel any gained performance. The results pretty much confirmed my suspicions. Best of three runs was 369.4HP/349.6TQ. Dyno was a dynammics dynamometer. DA was 5815, correction was 1.15, outside temp was 65.1 and relative humidity was 15%. I have an appointment to drop it off at the dealership on Monday. Any suggestions about what to ask for?

scan0003.pdf

scan0004.pdf

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.