Gut feeling is there is something wrong (or at least not running right)... - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree5Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Gut feeling is there is something wrong (or at least not running right)... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I picked the car back up today from the dealership. The SC was replaced and in them doing it as ...
    AfAdam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

Re: Gut feeling is there is something wrong (or at least not running right)...

I picked the car back up today from the dealership. The SC was replaced and in them doing it as a whole unit the valve/actuator were also replaced. They also replaced the SC belt. The tech said he did notice the SC was making noise before the repair. After the repair they test drove my car with a computer and then compared it to a new one off the showroom floor (could tell they drove it because it had bug splats on it and the tires were dirty). They said it was nearly the same based on the readings taken. So my thoughts driving it home... It is now making 7-8psi (more where I thought it should be); about 2-3 psi higher than before. It also seems to register on the boost gauge earlier when I go about 40% throttle. I also spun the wheels without meaning to in touring mode at an intersection. Then close to home I re-tried the launch with TC disabled in sport mode and the wheels spun all the way through first gear. So judging by the non-calibrated "seat of my pants", it definitely feels better. Next step, another dyno run and another run with another stock V to compare.

On a side note, my friend following me after leaving the dealership noticed a little smoke from the tailpipes when I got on it. I figure that may be due to the new part and some contaminants being burnt off. I assume that will disappear pretty quickly, but should that be an issue or will it go away in the near future?

TriTexan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Automobile?? Lake! Big Lake!!

AfAdam - excellent work sticking to your approach of measuring things carefully. That's the ONLY way to know if the car is performing correctly and the repairs have had the right effect. Keep us posted!

DiamondWhtV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Good news indeed. Let us know the final dyno results.

js615 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V (previously '05 CTS-V), '11 SRX

This thread is a warm fuzzy for why this forum needs to exist. Well done gang!

Pphilthy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by AfAdam View Post
    On a side note, my friend following me after leaving the dealership noticed a little smoke from the tailpipes when I got on it. I figure that may be due to the new part and some contaminants being burnt off. I assume that will disappear pretty quickly, but should that be an issue or will it go away in the near future?
    Given that they already test drove your car, I would assume that any 'contaminants' would have already been burnt off...? The important thing to note is, what color is the smoke...? Did you get the results from the compression and leak down test...? These are the two most informative tests you can do to gauge the health of your motor...

I finally got some free time to take it back to the dyno since getting the SC replaced. Apparently it did some good. Went from 369HP to 402HP. Definitely feels a bit better, but still want to get a compression/leak down test and new plugs in. Probably won't be able to get it in for this for a couple weeks. Also watched pretty closely to the exhaust during the runs and didn't notice any kind of smoke. At least its moving in the right direction...

scan0001.jpg

TTuned is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 Cts-V650

My car felt slow when i got it too didn't really spin tires and things like that. Dyno proved 440whp, and it was ugly. Paid a shop for a tune they data logged, and found things way off. and dyno tuned resulted in 520/520whp so =80/80 on 91 oct. I have mods but i know how u felt.
    Our theory was that a dealer somewhere along the way messed with the software when the car had a tune. Probably changed some things to stock like settings while leaving others, aka didn't know what they were doing, or did some kind of a dealer sw update without telling the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by TTuned View Post
    My car felt slow when i got it too didn't really spin tires and things like that. Dyno proved 440whp, and it was ugly. Paid a shop for a tune they data logged, and found things way off. and dyno tuned resulted in 520/520whp so =80/80 on 91 oct. I have mods but i know how u felt.
    Our theory was that a dealer somewhere along the way messed with the software when the car had a tune. Probably changed some things to stock like settings while leaving others, aka didn't know what they were doing, or did some kind of a dealer sw update without telling the owner.
    Thanks for the input. I think my next step is definately a compression/leak down test (and new plugs while I'm there). If everything checks out there, I'll move on to the ECU for tuning like you mentioned. Does anyone know off the top what the cylinder compression is supposed to be. Also any recommended spark plug or stick to manufacture recommended...

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Quote Originally Posted by AfAdam View Post
    Thanks for the input. I think my next step is definately a compression/leak down test (and new plugs while I'm there). If everything checks out there, I'll move on to the ECU for tuning like you mentioned. Does anyone know off the top what the cylinder compression is supposed to be. Also any recommended spark plug or stick to manufacture recommended...
    402 still seems low to me, even at your elevation. At 15% loss of stock numbers. that still has you in the 480 range. Lessen it for elevation and you should still be showing 440 at least I would think. I'm not the expert, so maybe others will chime in.

Regarding the plugs, lots of people have used with good results the NGK TR6 plugs. When I had my car, I used these plugs and had good success with them, I know many of the performance guys use them.

Good luck with your car, I still think you should be putting down more power so keep checking on things.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.