Octane Question - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Octane Question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; lol - you are wrong on so many fronts... I got a Pepsi challenge for you, take your car to ...
    Pphilthy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    lol - you are wrong on so many fronts... I got a Pepsi challenge for you, take your car to a dyno and do three consecutive pulls on 91 octane, and then fill up with 100 octane and do three more consecutive pulls - you'll be back here eating your words for a the reasons I've already posted...

The slower more controlled burn of the higher octane fuel will allow the ECU to provide access to the full timing tables and control heat, knock and pre-ignition far better than 91 octane... The 91 octane runs will lose power at a much higher rate as the ECU pulls timing...

You also DiD say the you can turn 87 octane fuel into 110 by just adding water HAHA! Now you're not going to man up and admit yore wrong...? Water injection which was pioneered back in the old turbo charged F1 days was used to reduce temps, not increase compression or octane... lol

I'm sorry, but you are just making me laugh now...

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
    Different rating systems (DIN vs. SAE HP and RON only vs. R+M/2 octane rating). This has been discussed before in these forums. There is no difference in output using the same rating systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa2Dubai View Post
    FYI .. european/export spec cts-v's are rated at 564bhp, due to running on 95-98 octane

http://www.cadillaceurope.com/en/index.php#/cts-v-sedan

Kluch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 V

Re: Octane Question

Ahhhh! Which fuel nerd do I believe?

Kluch, I don't know his tuning experience or how many boosted cars he has built, but he isn't making much sense...

Meth injection will increase the octane, NOT water lol. That comment in it of itself is enough to ignore anything he posts haha

V locity is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan A6, 730 RWHP Stock airbox & stock exst

Quote Originally Posted by Pphilthy View Post
    lol - you are wrong on so many fronts... I got a Pepsi challenge for you, take your car to a dyno and do three consecutive pulls on 91 octane, and then fill up with 100 octane and do three more consecutive pulls - you'll be back here eating your words for a the reasons I've already posted...

The slower more controlled burn of the higher octane fuel will allow the ECU to provide access to the full timing tables and control heat, knock and pre-ignition far better than 91 octane... The 91 octane runs will lose power at a much higher rate as the ECU pulls timing...

You also DiD say the you can turn 87 octane fuel into 110 by just adding water HAHA! Now you're not going to man up and admit yore wrong...? Water injection which was pioneered back in the old turbo charged F1 days was used to reduce temps, not increase compression or octane... lol

I'm sorry, but you are just making me laugh now...
    I would agree that there is a small amount of wiggle room in the, read this (factory programmed ECU timing), that could create a nominal amount of HP change from a "slightly higher" octane rating under certain circumstances. But, If you think you're going to see "real" power increases in proportion to octane rating increases, I'll throw the "Pepsi Challenge" back @ ya. Let's make it more interesting too. Assuming you own a V2??? (and your V is still 100% stock) go find some BP, "VP110" (the highest rated unleaded out there) & drive it around for a few tank fulls. If your emmission system is still alive, go to the dyno & post it up for us. According to your logic... ~20% higher octane will equal an extra, say 100 hp. I won't be putting that stuff in my car till it's built & tuned for it!

Fireverm's post on water injection & octane is correct too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engines)

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Kluch, I don't know his tuning experience or how many boosted cars he has built, but he isn't making much sense...

Meth injection will increase the octane, NOT water lol. That comment in it of itself is enough to ignore anything he posts haha
    You should probably stop now, you're just embarrassing yourself at this point.

Just saying'...

Fireverm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Diamond manual

Man, this guy is something else, lol.

He's right. I just can't believe it, but I am so wrong and he has rightfully called me out like the intellectual fraud that I am. But at least on the bright side, with all of this new found knowledge.... I don't need my V anymore for spirited driving. I'll just start running my bone stock 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco with it's turbocharged 1.4L inline 4 on straight octane booster and I'll never miss the V's power again. I figure since it can run 86 octane and it's even newer than my 2011 V, it's ecu shouldn't have a problem to bring up the stock 138hp to over 500. Just think how much octane booster and Cam2 110 octane you can buy if you just bought this sweet baby for 18k instead of 65k for the V....amIright?

Listen - I have a great amount of knowledge and if you guys know it all, then I really will just stop now and wish you the best of luck...

My posts were correcting blatant wrong statements made here - injecting water turns 87 octane into 110 octane, and running 100 octane will make less power than 91 octane on a forced induction car, etc... I provided a detailed explanation on why that is the case and you guys are just trying to take my posts out of context now... I never said you will gain huge power, that's you little boys stirring the pot - I said you would NOT lose power and would actually make more than 91 octane!

Water injection by itself isn't going to give you any gains - it will act as a cooling agent and knock suppression at best - METH injection will provide more power by increasing the octane rating and doing a much better job of cooling vs water... With tuning of course... I don't need a google reference, I've been there done that for the past 15 years...

I know that I'm new to this forum but believe me, I'm not new to high HP forced induction cars...

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

So are the Canadian dollars and gallons still the same as ours?

V locity is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan A6, 730 RWHP Stock airbox & stock exst

think 3 tanks of VP110!!! Then post your dyno....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.