My Thoughts After Tracking the Camaro ZL1 - From a CTS-v Owner's Eyes - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, My Thoughts After Tracking the Camaro ZL1 - From a CTS-v Owner's Eyes in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Thanks for starting this thread, Elie! Glad you had a great time driving the new models and happy you shared ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: My Thoughts After Tracking the Camaro ZL1 - From a CTS-v Owner's Eyes

Thanks for starting this thread, Elie! Glad you had a great time driving the new models and happy you shared your experience. Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Great review Elie! Can you really notice the weight difference? How was overall balance between the V And the ZL1?

Suspension wise were the new gen shocks a big improvement over the current gen in the V?

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Quote Originally Posted by Chris CTS V Wagon View Post
    Great review Elie! Can you really notice the weight difference? How was overall balance between the V And the ZL1?

Suspension wise were the new gen shocks a big improvement over the current gen in the V?
    Chris,

If you're talking about being able to feel the weight difference between the ZL1 and the CTS-V - no, I could not feel the difference. They're both heavy vehicles and you can feel the weight. That being said, it is absolutely astounding that both cars can be made to handle as well as they do! Perhaps with more seat time in the ZL1 I might be able to notice a difference. They are both very, very responsive and capable cars.
    On the balance comparison, my gut says that the ZL1 might be a more "track-tuned" vehicle and a bit lighter on its feet, but again, I have to base this on my experience with the ZL1 being at lower limits than I've been able to explore with the V.

As far as the next gen magnaride is concerned, I must admit that I don't believe that I drove the ZL1 with the shocks in "tour" mode. Even then, I would not describe the ZL1s ride as harsh. The ZL1s ride felt very similar to what the V feels like in Sport Mode.

Overall, given my experience and priorities, I'd prefer driving the V on the track because of the seats (Recaros), headroom and visibility, which IMHO are superior to the Camaro. The ZL1 may indeed be capable of putting up faster lap times and have more of a track orientation, what with the PTM, ultra-sticky tires, standard diff cooler etc. But my feeling is there is more to enjoying a day at the track than just being able to go faster than the other guy.

Best regards,

Elie
    Tedboss1 and Tedboss1 like this.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I am glad to hear you say positive things about the ZL1. I have been less than fully satisfied with the SS. It understeers heavily on the Pzero, it's a pig on allseason tires. It is well planted, and it takes alot to get it loose, but it still doesn't have that magical feeling I got from my 05V. I think the steering is a big part of it, and from what I understand, the 2012 SS has the same steering improvements as the ZL1. I wish I would have waited. Better steering (not to mention the FE4) would be welcome. But it does have a more comfortable ride, and far more comfortable seats than my 05V. Any impressions on the ZL1's ride quality?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I am glad to hear you say positive things about the ZL1. I have been less than fully satisfied with the SS. It understeers heavily on the Pzero, it's a pig on allseason tires. It is well planted, and it takes alot to get it loose, but it still doesn't have that magical feeling I got from my 05V. I think the steering is a big part of it, and from what I understand, the 2012 SS has the same steering improvements as the ZL1. I wish I would have waited. Better steering (not to mention the FE4) would be welcome. But it does have a more comfortable ride, and far more comfortable seats than my 05V. Any impressions on the ZL1's ride quality?

Yeah, the ZL1 is certainly a step up from the SS in terms of handling. Definitely less understeer and a lot more difficult to get the car out of sorts. The 2013 SS will get the ZL1's electric steering and although I did not have the opportunity to drive the ZL1 on public roads, the did feel similar to the V's on the track. Lots of versatility too with the PTM/shock settings.
    I still think there's lots of room for improvement in the ZL1's seats, especially when compared to our Recaros!

Best regards,

Elie

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I thought I read all 2012 SS will get the ZL1 steering and a few other things. It's not until 2013?

I really like the seats in my SS. They are not very supportive, laterally. But they are very comfortable on long drives. This is the first car I have owned that I can drive for over an hour without shifting in my seat at all.

I thought I read all 2012 SS will get the ZL1 steering and a few other things. It's not until 2013?
    Looks like... here's the official list of new stuff for the 2013 MY Camaro... electric steering for the SS is noted with the 4th bullet.

NEW for 2013:
    • New ZL1 Convertible model (1EY67)
    • (1LE) SS Performance Package includes (RSK) 20″ Black-painted wheels, (RKC) 20″ tires, (GW1) 3.91 axle ratio,
    (FE6) suspension, and Black hood wrap (requires manual transmission)
    • (NPP) Dual mode exhaust available on SS models equipped with manual transmission
    • (NV9) Electric power steering standard on all SS models
    • (UFU) Chevrolet MyLink1 Color Touch radio with 7″ diagonal color touchscreen display includes Bluetooth streaming
    audio; hands-free smartphone integration; Pandora and Stitcher smartphone compatible; voicea-ctivated technology
    – Standard on all LT, SS and ZL1 models
    – (USR) USB port and (KTB) PDIM now standard on 1LT and 1SS models
    – Rear camera on equipped models now projected in touchscreen display
    • (UHQ) Chevrolet MyLink Color Touch radio with 7” diagonal color touchscreen display and all the features of (UFU)
    plus GPS Navigation option on all LT, SS and ZL1 models
    • (GXH) Blue Ray Metallic exterior color
    • (BRH) Mojave leather interior
    • (DBX) Frameless, Auto-dimming inside rearview mirror
    • (B34) Floor mats now standard on LS model
    • (N34) Leather-wrapped steering wheel and (VY7) leather-wrapped shift knob now standard on 1LT models
    • (MX0) Automatic transmission on 1LT and 1SS models now includes (BTV) remote vehicle starter system
    • Windshield wiper stalk changes: replace symbols with words “off,” “int,” “lo” and “hi”
    • New wheel design for models equipped with 18” and 20” wheels
    – (SGE) 18″ painted aluminum wheels
    – (R42) 20″ painted aluminum wheels
    – (RUY) 20″ polished aluminum wheels
    • New shift knob and automatic Hill Start Assist on all manual transmissions

Best regards,

Elie

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Thanks Elie great review.

jft69z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 V-Coupe Blk 6M, '69 Black Z-28/RS 454-5 spd, '13 Blk ZR1

Just got back from Spring Mountain for the 3 day ZR1 school the other day. While there, they were happy to announce that they already have 4 ZL1s in their garage to start up a driving school for them. The bigger news to us here is that they are also adding a CTS-V driving school in the near future with all 3 versions of the car -Coupe, Sedan & Wagon. The place is first class all the way & the skills they teach will all cross over to daily driving.

mother is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Wagon

I have been less than fully satisfied with the SS. It understeers heavily on the Pzero, it's a pig on allseason tires. It is well planted, and it takes alot to get it loose, but it still doesn't have that magical feeling I got from my 05V. I think the steering is a big part of it, and from what I understand, the 2012 SS has the same steering improvements as the ZL1. I wish I would have waited. Better steering (not to mention the FE4) would be welcome. But it does have a more comfortable ride, and far more comfortable seats than my 05V.
    I rented an SS Convertible a few months back. It rode HORRIBLY compared to a current gen V- I mean on a scale of 1 to 10 with the V being a 9, the SS was a 2 for ride comfort.

I did really like the HUD though...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.