2012 CTS V TMPS reset question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 2012 CTS V TMPS reset question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I switched my winter wheel/tires to summer wheel/tires on my 2012 CTS V. The instruction booklet says to use a ...
    JATDAT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V

2012 CTS V TMPS reset question

I switched my winter wheel/tires to summer wheel/tires on my 2012 CTS V. The instruction booklet says to use a GM tool to reset the TMPS. The instructions do NOT give the reduce or raise pressure in tires protocol as a method to reset the TPMS. I tried that anyway and that method DOES NOT work. Why not?? Do I have to go to the dealer? Is there an inexpensive reset tool I can purchase? This is ridiculous--my BMW had a simple reset protocol done by the vehicle computer and driving the car.
    Thanks for any help on this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: 2012 CTS V TMPS reset question

moved from cust svc

I don't know 100% about the V, but I highly doubt there is a tool required. My dealer told me that a special tool is required to reset the sensors when rotating tires on my 2010 Camaro and my 2009 Enclave. And considering I have reset the sensors on my Enclave, and switched to a completely different set of sensors on my Camaro, both without any tool, I know the dealer service is guy is either lying or misinformed.

I am sure someone will chime in here shortly with the correct procedure.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

So you're saying you held both lock/unlock button down until you got the two beeps (with ignition on), then did each tire clockwise starting with the LF? Raised or lowered until you got the one beep, then went to the next one in sequence? Mine is page 5-79 in my manual. I can't believe that you need a tool either to do this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I don't know why you would need a tool on the V2 when you didn't in the V1...

There is indeed a special tool for resetting the sensors that the dealers use. I believe it is much faster than the manual method. I think it just replaces the need to inflate/deflate to activate the sensor.

OldRoadDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    There is indeed a special tool for resetting the sensors that the dealers use. I believe it is much faster than the manual method. I think it just replaces the need to inflate/deflate to activate the sensor.
    You are correct.

For at home, the resetting method spelled out in the manual works. Sometimes you have to be a little patient after bleeding off 4 or 5 lbs of air, waiting for the horn beep before moving on to the next wheel. I've waited as much as 10-12 secs. After getting the double beep telling you the reset has been done you will have to drive the car briefly for the readings in the DIC to reset.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRoadDawg View Post
    I've waited as much as 10-12 secs.
    When I swapped wheels on my Camaro, I think I waited longer than that for the first wheel.

How much are those tools? If they are less than $20, I think I would gladly buy one rather than inflate/deflate twice a year.

I suspect the tool has been implemented recently with the popularity of nitrogen. They don't want to be constantly deflating and inflating tires and using up nitrogen tanks.

jft69z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 V-Coupe Blk 6M, '69 Black Z-28/RS 454-5 spd, '13 Blk ZR1

The tool is now necessary for late 2011 and now 2012 model GM vehicles. The reason they state is that in the shops there are too many possible interferences with other vehicles in close proximity to the sensor you are trying to initialize.

Here is some info regarding this:

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...?t=9433&page=2

http://buickforums.com/forums/archiv...p/t-23343.html

http://www.sandyblogs.com/cgi-bin/mt...10&search=tpms

The tool is available direct from GM service tools/SPX: http://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com...s.aspx?id=5677

I ended up getting one just to have around the shop even though all of my vehicles are able to be done with the raise/lower pressure method. This is so much quicker though and will come in handy for the newer vehicles that will be coming thru the shop. I've been lucky up to this point & have not needed to get one for anything that came thru the door. The old method, though slow would always work. Not anymore...
    GMX322V S/C and GMX322V S/C like this.

$62? That's borderline for me. It's easy enough manually. Maybe Luke at Lindsay can get those, and for cheaper...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    $62? That's borderline for me. It's easy enough manually. Maybe Luke at Lindsay can get those, and for cheaper...
    Before I ordered my tool, I called my GM parts dept & he said no luck, order it from the website. Just for grins, I tried looking all over the web first & ended up at the place listed.

Quote Originally Posted by jft69z

Before I ordered my tool, I called my GM parts dept & he said no luck, order it from the website. Just for grins, I tried looking all over the web first & ended up at the place listed.
    Good to know. Thanks for the info...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Good to know. Thanks for the info...
    You're welcome. The whole concept still kinda blows though, another added cost to the owner or a trip to the dealer so they can get you in the door.

JATDAT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V

Thank you! I knew I was not crazy! Ill pay price for the tool.

----------

Thanks for the web sites!

elphil is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Really Cool '11 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by baabootoo View Post
    So you're saying you held both lock/unlock button down until you got the two beeps (with ignition on), then did each tire clockwise starting with the LF? Raised or lowered until you got the one beep, then went to the next one in sequence? Mine is page 5-79 in my manual. I can't believe that you need a tool either to do this.
    Did mine yesterday. It may take up to 10 or 12 seconds of letting the air out to get a beep. The last tire, left rear, gives two beeps to signal the process is complete. I finished by going around and inflating the tires back to their normal pressure. No need to buy a tool. If you feel you need to buy a tool, here's one http://www.amazon.com/OTC-3834-Press...171432&sr=1-20

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

^^^^^
    Glad to see the manual process still works for the newer cars. People should NOT have to go to the dealer or pay for a tool. Yet another reason to be glad I have an '09.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.