2012 CTS V TMPS reset question - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 2012 CTS V TMPS reset question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by jft69z They already did...some late 2011 & 2012 models=tool only. Well that sucks. I'll be damned if ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: 2012 CTS V TMPS reset question

Quote Originally Posted by jft69z View Post
    They already did...some late 2011 & 2012 models=tool only.
    Well that sucks. I'll be damned if I am going to go to the dealer every time the sensors have to be reset. I will put the sensors in a pressure jar before I do that.

elphil is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Really Cool '11 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by jft69z View Post
    Just out of curiosity, which procedure does your Vagon owner's manual list? Raise/lower pressures or the tool method. What is the build date also.
    Build date is first week of January 2011. The on-line 2011 CTS manual pages 10-74 and 10-75 does mention a "relearning tool" to be used in the procedure outlined above. I hadn't read this until you raised the question. The procedure without the tool seems to have worked on my Wagon.
    Maybe Cadillac CS can chime in on this question. Difficult to understand why the procedure has worked on previous model years without a tool and now you need one.

jft69z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 V-Coupe Blk 6M, '69 Black Z-28/RS 454-5 spd, '13 Blk ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by elphil View Post
    Build date is first week of January 2011. The on-line 2011 CTS manual pages 10-74 and 10-75 does mention a "relearning tool" to be used in the procedure outlined above. The procedure without the tool seems to have worked on my Wagon.
    Maybe Cadillac CS can chime in on this question.
    I'm thinking the online version is just the most current. The actual paper manual that shipped with your vehicle may be representative of which TPM procedure will work in your particular case. If it says raise/lower pressure that is maybe why that procedure worked for you in the past. If they shipped your car with a manual that says use the tool...

Owners manuals are not known for accuracy. My enclave manual contains a few procedures and diagrams that are clearly carryover from the rainier

OK, hadn't driven the Wagon since I reset the tire monitor two days ago. I assumed it had taken when I got two beeps on the last tire. I just took it out for a 15 mile drive. No more "service the tire monitor" message. I believe the bleeding tire method and no reset tool does work, at least on my 2011.

jft69z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 V-Coupe Blk 6M, '69 Black Z-28/RS 454-5 spd, '13 Blk ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by elphil View Post
    OK, hadn't driven the Wagon since I reset the tire monitor two days ago. I assumed it had taken when I got two beeps on the last tire. I just took it out for a 15 mile drive. No more "service the tire monitor" message. I believe the bleeding tire method and no reset tool does work, at least on my 2011.
    If you got the beeps at each tire & 2 at the end you are good. If it didn't take, your TPM indicator would be on and tire pressure readings would be gone.

As far as what I was wondering regarding your owner's manual, I was being just the slightest bit optimistic and giving GM just the slightest bit of hope that maybe , just maybe, they got it right this one time & put the right manuals with the vehicle. I know, just about as much chance as pigs flying (I love that TV commercial with the pig......weeeeeeeeeeeee) Yes, it's been a long day....

A guess would be that GM legal doesn't want to encourage people to partially deflate their tires then drive around looking for a service station.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi everyone,

Very interesting thread! I'm sorry to hear about the reset confusion and owners manual issues that were mentioned, but I wanted to thank you for that important feedback. I'm happy to help where I can, so please feel free to private message me or email me anytime.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

JATDAT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V

I checked with the GM special tool supplier that sells the TMPS reset tool (EL -50448), Kent-Moore, ordered one for 62 bucks, Unfortunately,wouldn't you know it, BACKORDERED until June!!!

JATDAT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    The manual method for my 04/11 build V does not work. I've tried it multiple times.

has anyone purchased from SPX before? ordering via order form or phone always seems shaddy in an internet enviroment..

I broke down and ordered the $62 reset tool from SPX. I had to call and place the order over the telephone. A little strange these days but no big deal as long as you know the part number of the tool you want--they're not there to help you -- only to take your order! Really no problem. It took 3 months to get the tool because they were back ordered. But suddenly it arrived. Not much communication from SPX during those 3 months but it was the correct tool.

Works great. Took all of about 2 minutes to reset the TPMS. Now with winter approaching I will use it again for the winter tires. For $62 bucks plus shipping -- worthwhile.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3
    Thanks, ill give this another look

MikeG-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 V
    One really stupid question. Given how common TPMS Is now, shouldn't this be something the apes at the tire places be able to do?

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

FYI, having becomed concerned that the TPM sensors on my 2009 CTS-V were not assigned properly, and because the owner's manual did specify the tire bleed-down procedure as the method to use, I bled off the right front tire until I received a beep and having determined that the correct wheel was assigned, I quit. I reinflated the tire and the tire symbol in the dashboard remained on. I read the owner's manual and determined that an incomplete tire assignment would cause this. I restarted the assignment procedure, took it to completion, and all was OK.

Now my 2009 CTS-V does give the tire bleed-down procedure and it works. My 2013 CTS-V owner's manual specifies to use the tool and does not give the bleed-down procedure. Whether the bleed-down procedure works or not remains to be seen (my wife has not been home with the 2013 CTS-V enough for me to try it). Also, I don't want to get the tire low/high indication in the dash and not be able to turn it off. The "tool" before was simply a strong magnet and five or more of the Radio Shack circular magnets, which would fit over the tire valve stem, would work quite well. Does the strong magnet "tool" still work?

CTSV12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Coupe

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG-V
    One really stupid question. Given how common TPMS Is now, shouldn't this be something the apes at the tire places be able to do?
    If I was one of those "apes" I'd probably tell you to go get bent.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.