2012 CTS V TMPS reset question - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 2012 CTS V TMPS reset question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by neuronbob ^^^^^ Glad to see the manual process still works for the newer cars. People should NOT ...
    jft69z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 V-Coupe Blk 6M, '69 Black Z-28/RS 454-5 spd, '13 Blk ZR1

Re: 2012 CTS V TMPS reset question

Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
    ^^^^^
    Glad to see the manual process still works for the newer cars. People should NOT have to go to the dealer or pay for a tool. Yet another reason to be glad I have an '09.....
    There may be a problem for certain late model '11s & most if not all 2012 models though. Other's have tried on their 2012 GM cars and it didn't work.

Worst case is try the old method & see if it works. If not, then you have to do something about the light. Other option is if it is just a simple rotation scenario, just leave it alone. Yes, the tire pressure indications will be incorrect in the DIC, but at least you will have some indication a tire is low, then you just have to check for the low one.

Another indication that you can look for is in the owner's manual. If it shows the old raise/lower procedure, you probably are good. If it shows the new procedure that says you need the tool, you may be out of luck.

6speeder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by elphil View Post
    Did mine yesterday. It may take up to 10 or 12 seconds of letting the air out to get a beep. The last tire, left rear, gives two beeps to signal the process is complete. I finished by going around and inflating the tires back to their normal pressure. No need to buy a tool. If you feel you need to buy a tool, here's one http://www.amazon.com/OTC-3834-Press...171432&sr=1-20
    That tool is PRICEY!

And maybe not the right one:
    "Product Features

TPR is a fast and simple to use stand alone TPMS activation tool
    Works on all known TPMS sensors through 2009"

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

The old relearn procedure is in the 2012 CTS/CTS-V manual.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 Manual, pages 10-79 and 10-80
    TPMS Sensor Matching Process
    Each TPMS sensor has a unique identification code. The identification code needs to be matched to a new tire/wheel position after rotating the
    vehicle’s tires or replacing one or more of the TPMS sensors.
    Also, the TPMS sensor matching process should be performed after
    replacing a spare tire with a road tire containing the TPMS sensor. The malfunction light and the DIC
    message should go off at the next ignition cycle. The sensors are matched to the tire/wheel positions, using a TPMS relearn tool, in the
    following order: driver side front tire, passenger side front tire, passenger side rear tire, and driver side rear. See your dealer for service or to
    purchase a relearn tool.

There are two minutes to match the first tire/wheel position, and
    five minutes overall to match all four tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer, the matching process stops
    and must be restarted.
    The TPMS matching process is:
    1. Set the parking brake.
    2. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN with the engine off.
    3. Press the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter's lock and unlock buttons at the same time for approximately five seconds. The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and Tire Learning Active message displays on the DIC screen.
    4. Start with the driver side front tire.
    5. Place the relearn tool against the tire sidewall, near the valve stem. Then press the button to activate the TPMS sensor.
    A horn chirp confirms that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position.
    6. Proceed to the passenger side front tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
    7. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
    8. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure
    in Step 5. After hearing the confirming horn chirp, for the driver side rear tire, the horn sounds two more times to signal the tire learning mode is no longer active.
    9. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF.
    10. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the tire and loading information label.
    Looks exactly the same as in my 2009 manual, except the presence of the TPMS learning tool.

Edit: The 2012 manuals are available online.
    http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/..._manual_v1.pdf

The old relearn procedure is in the 2012 CTS/CTS-V manual.

Looks exactly the same as in my 2009 manual, except the presence of the TPMS learning tool.
    Clarification: If it says raise/lower tire pressures-then that will work for you. (you can use the tool as well-much quicker).

If the owners manual says use just the tool (like the 2012 manual shows)-then raising/lowering tire pressures will NOT work to learn the sensors to the car. Tool only.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 6speeder View Post
    That tool is PRICEY!

And maybe not the right one:
    "Product Features

TPR is a fast and simple to use stand alone TPMS activation tool
    Works on all known TPMS sensors through 2009"
    That OTC tool is geared more towards a shop environment and has the ability to do many different manufacturers sensors. It is also updatable. The small unit listed earlier is $62 and geared for GM vehicles.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

It wouldn't surprise me if they start eliminating the inflate/deflate method. As time goes on, fewer and fewer people even rotate their tires. Relying on a dealer or tire shop to do everything. Still sucks though that they are making it harder for us. Were it just for rotation, no biggy for the tires to be displayed in incorrect spots. But what about for those of us who swap tires?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if they start eliminating the inflate/deflate method.
    They already did...some late 2011 & 2012 models=tool only.

Quote Originally Posted by jft69z View Post
    They already did...some late 2011 & 2012 models=tool only.
    But they didn't. What I posted above was a direct cut and paste from the 2012 model, and I even linked the manual for you to read it yourself.

Of course, there IS precedent for the owner's manual to be wrong. My 2009 manual mentions tilting side mirrors on reverse....when that feature was deprogrammed in what I call an "unfortunate" error by Cadillac for 2009 CTS's....but that's another thread.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

But they didn't. What I posted above was a direct cut and paste from the 2012 model, and I even linked the manual for you to read it yourself.
    The manual method for my 04/11 build V does not work. I've tried it multiple times.

has anyone purchased from SPX before? ordering via order form or phone always seems shaddy in an internet enviroment..

Of course, there IS precedent for the owner's manual to be wrong. My 2009 manual mentions tilting side mirrors on reverse....when that feature was deprogrammed in what I call an "unfortunate" error by Cadillac for 2009 CTS's....but that's another thread.
    Read it again, the 2012 manual you posted says NOTHING about raising/lowering the tire pressures, just putting the TPM tool against the tire to set it.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    The manual method for my 04/11 build V does not work. I've tried it multiple times.

has anyone purchased from SPX before? ordering via order form or phone always seems shaddy in an internet enviroment..
    I ordered direct from SPX. I called them via the toll free number provided. They are a supplier to the dealers for their specialized tools, no fear as far as ruputable operation. I called because it mentioned to call to order on that specific tool's page, but it would have worked web only. The sales person on their end was very nice and professional. It took less than a week to get to my shop.

Read it again, the 2012 manual you posted says NOTHING about raising/lowering the tire pressures, just putting the TPM tool against the tire to set it.
    You are right. That's what I get for posting without adequate sleep. I think GM should provide the part as part of the purchase of the car if they are going to insist on this method.

I think GM should provide the part as part of the purchase of the car if they are going to insist on this method.
    Now that's FUNNY, they won't make any extra money that way though

Now that's FUNNY, they won't make any extra money that way though
    That is funny, isn't it? This is the same MO as with the missing tow hook. It is also not included with purchase of the car, and you know you need to buy that, too, in case you're towed? Many threads on that.

That is funny, isn't it? This is the same MO as with the missing tow hook. It is also not included with purchase of the car, and you know you need to buy that, too, in case you're towed? Many threads on that.
    See, apparently it IS a good business model. I have one of each, the TPMS tool & a tow hook....bastards.

(I'll have to remember to keep the tow hook if I sell the V, thanks for the reminder).

elphil is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Really Cool '11 CTS-V Wagon

I wonder if the people who say it isn't working for them are letting enough air out. It can take 10 seconds or longer before you get the beep. You need to refill the tires after the calibration procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by elphil View Post
    I wonder if the people who say it isn't working for them are letting enough air out. It can take 10 seconds or longer before you get the beep. You need to refill the tires after the calibration procedure.
    Just out of curiosity, which procedure does your Vagon owner's manual list? Raise/lower pressures or the tool method. What is the build date also.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.