GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; And GM isn't going to do anything about it for us! But they will for the ZL1! Original:...
    smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle!

And GM isn't going to do anything about it for us! But they will for the ZL1!

Original:

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tedboss1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV Auto

Re: GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle!

So it looks like finally GM is going with solid bushing that W4M has been recommending to us for years.

CoppeR is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 BD Coupe

Not even for the 2013 V huh??

readyact is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

GM and or Cadillac Customer Service please chime in and explain the reasoning behind not doing such for the 2009+ CTS-V?????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Tedboss1 View Post
    So it looks like finally GM is going with solid bushing that W4M has been reccomending for years.
    Pretty much, yeah. They knew about this otherwise, why would they use a solid isolator? 2011 models and up should have been using the ZL1 supercharger. Instead, we get the shaft.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by CoppeR View Post
    Not even for the 2013 V huh??
    Apparently so, but hopefully not, see above response.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by readyact View Post
    GM and or Cadillac Customer Service please chime in and explain the reasoning behind not doing such for the 2009+ CTS-V?????????????????
    I'm willing to bet they already have hundreds upon hundreds of the V superchargers so it's easy for them to just give us the shaft and give the ZL1 guys the new and improved.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

Why am I not surprised? Typical GM for ya.

Trapspeed is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Now I'm not trying to be critical but there are a crapload of us dealing with this. I second the post about asking the GM reps who pop in here from time to time with gracious responses about issues we have to understand that we are voicing to GM that this needs to be a retrofit into our cars. Or.....warranty the blower for life. I'll take either one.

hulksdaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): <-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(

I still don't know why such a big deal is made about the isolator. Yes, if its rattling to loud, it's embarrassing. But it also seems like the rattle lessens as miles pile up. Also, how can it damage the blower? It's a contained are, correct?

Enlighten me please.

Captain McFunk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 DW CTS-V Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by hulksdaddy View Post
    I still don't know why such a big deal is made about the isolator. Yes, if its rattling to loud, it's embarrassing. But it also seems like the rattle lessens as miles pile up. Also, how can it damage the blower? It's a contained are, correct?

Enlighten me please.
    Well, you're incorrect in that the rattle lessens up as miles pile up. That's not accurate. it gets worse. In my case at least, it got worse up until the supercharger was replaced at 33k miles. it can't damage the blower, and it is in a contained "are".

Quote Originally Posted by Captain McFunk View Post
    Well, you're incorrect in that the rattle lessens up as miles pile up. That's not accurate. it gets worse. In my case at least, it got worse up until the supercharger was replaced at 33k miles. it can't damage the blower, and it is in a contained "are".
    +1! It only gets worse. Mine is getting even louder and my supercharger is pretty new. It's actually rattling above 1200 rpm, so much for GM following their own TSB. Around 2000rpm-2200rpm, the rattle is very quick and loud. Then once you pass 2500 rpm, the supercharger whine/exhaust/engine drown it out.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

Yep. Eventually the stock isolator will get worse and worse until it takes out your blower. It's cheaper for GM to fix the few blowers that go out before 100k than to do a recall on every single one that makes noise. Im glad I didnt listen to the GM b.s. about it be "normal" and had it replaced with a solid isolator when I did.

xmaciek82x is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Pretty new to the CTS-V sceen so sorry for any noob questions. Does GM replace the existing isolater if you have the supercharger rattle? Also, if going with a solid isolater fixes the issue, how much does parts and labor run? Obviously GM would not do this, but how much would a local LSx shop charge for somthing like this?

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by xmaciek82x View Post
    Pretty new to the CTS-V sceen so sorry for any noob questions. Does GM replace the existing isolater if you have the supercharger rattle? Also, if going with a solid isolater fixes the issue, how much does parts and labor run? Obviously GM would not do this, but how much would a local LSx shop charge for somthing like this?
    The supercharger comes from Eaton. GM therefore feels the supercharger is a non-serviceable part. Further, they feel that the sound is normal. Therefore, they are only occasionally replacing superchargers.

The replacement solid isolator is an inexpensive part. Installing it voids the drivetrain warranty even though it solves the problem, so install at your own risk. Others can comment on the install cost but I don't recall it being very high.

w4m was right all along.
    LV_V and LV_V like this.

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

Quote Originally Posted by Captain McFunk View Post
    He's not incorrect because in my case, the rattle noise has decreased significantly at 20K miles. Obviously, not the case for all, but in my case yes.

Rob

HeavyH20 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Red 09 CTS-V, Silver 06 STS-V, White 08 SRX
    A fix, or was this a Cadillac specific item? Anyone know if the ZR1 has the same rattle? Also, it is interesting that the ZL1 was put on quality hold that could delay shipments for weeks.

I have installed the solid coupler and it definitely eliminates the rattle nicely.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.