GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hell, I know I would have done the isolator a long time ago if GM wouldn't void the warranty! Now ...
    Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Re: GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle!

Hell, I know I would have done the isolator a long time ago if GM wouldn't void the warranty! Now there's the real part that doesn't make sense.

352 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS, STS V

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I've spoken with people that have driven everything from a 458 to a S2000. The CTS-V is about as perfect of a car as you're going to get. The E60 M5, RS6, XF-R, IS-F, B8 S4 and the lot have real problems. The CTS-V makes a funny noise. I'm sorry, but I simply can not understand the justification based on a noise. Would you prefer dropping $5k into an SMG randomly in an E60? Or having a completly locked ECU in the IS-F? What about carbon build-up in the RS4 that causes it to loose up to 100HP if you don't have a $200 service done every couple of thousand miles? Audi calls that normal by the way.

Those are problems and reasons to avoid a car(and they cost much more than 70K), a noise that a $60 isolator can fix is not.
    I am pretty good with doing general automotive maintenance. Can anybody post step by step instructions with pictures to retrofit the solid isolator since GM is not willing to do it for us? I am a little hesitant to rip apart a beautiful, new, expensive car without a good idea of what I should be doing.

theamcguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    Exactly. The problem is, they purposefully designed it to reduce the annoyance of gear noise. Instead they introduced a much greater annoyance, and they're unwilling to fix it.
    Exactly, the spring was put in to reduce gear whine, which it does. The tradeoff is the rattle, go to a solid isolator and you get gear whine, then there will be complaints about that. Pick your poison. If you want a quiet car then maybe a high performance car is not what you really want.
    4DR_ZR1 and 4DR_ZR1 like this.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
    The isolator was put in place to reduce drive gear backlash noise at lower RPM due to the pulsing of an OTTO-cycle engine. I'll ask again: has anyone heard any backlash noise since putting in a solid isolator? I haven't. You'd think those with lopey cams would really hear it.

The whine comes from the supercharger blades compressing the air and is suppressed through other means, such as intake tract tuning, airbox design, etc.

calherc1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    rnpjstewart, readyact, and RapibRob, consider yourselves added! Your feedback is much appreciated.

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service
    Mine has 15000mi and has been rattling since 10000mi. So I can be added as well.

352 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS, STS V

[QUOTE=theamcguy;2902627]Exactly, the spring was put in to reduce gear whine, which it does. The tradeoff is the rattle, go to a solid isolator and you get gear whine, then there will be complaints about that. Pick your poison. If you want a quiet car then maybe a high performance car is not what you really want.[/QUOTE
    I have a 2008 Cadillac STS V, 2011 Mustang GT500, and a 2011 Corvette ZR1; none make any annoying supercharger rattle or gear whine.

rbanshee1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc
    jft69z, I did indeed, and I can confirm that you're on that list! I'm now up-to-date with the list through this very message. If anyone else has experienced this issue and wants to be added, please reply to this thread and let me know, and then I will post a confirmation when I have added your username to our list.

SoCal_V, never fear; that is not a dumb question in the slightest! The list should accurately reflect how many owners are having the rattle with this particular model. Sarah and I hope the list will help call attention to the issue and a resolution will be imminent; seeing that a large percentage of owners have this issue helps build a case for the resolution. I can completely understand the frustration after multiple years of dealing with this rattle. While you are correct in assuming there is no current fix, Sarah began this list (and rightly so!) to make sure we do all we can to pass along the information that the issue is still a prominent concern currently for many owners.

Katie
    Katie,please be sure to add me to the list, thank you

bbang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sport Wagon

Katie, please add me to the list as well. thank you

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

calherc1, rbanshee1 & bbang, I have just updated the list with your usernames.

Many thanks,

Katie

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

check with your local dealer but...

adding the solid isolator should not 'void your warranty'

it will only void the warranty on any repairs that are needed due to the introduction of the aftermarket part

any other repairs are still covered

thank the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

Shouldn't. But the GM engineers already said the supercharger isn't serviceable, so it can't be opened. That's why it would void the warranty. Otherwise, they would just issue a TSB to swap the isolators and fix the problem. If only, yeah right.

Tyns is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wouldn't this mod invalidate the warranty on the supercharger only, then?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Exactly (unless your modification caused something else to break/fail)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

xmaciek82x is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Katie, add me too. 2009 CTS-V 25k miles

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Thanks, xmaciek82x! You are now on the list.

Best,

Katie

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.