GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; jft69z, I did indeed, and I can confirm that you're on that list! I'm now up-to-date with the list through ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle!

jft69z, I did indeed, and I can confirm that you're on that list! I'm now up-to-date with the list through this very message. If anyone else has experienced this issue and wants to be added, please reply to this thread and let me know, and then I will post a confirmation when I have added your username to our list.

SoCal_V, never fear; that is not a dumb question in the slightest! The list should accurately reflect how many owners are having the rattle with this particular model. Sarah and I hope the list will help call attention to the issue and a resolution will be imminent; seeing that a large percentage of owners have this issue helps build a case for the resolution. I can completely understand the frustration after multiple years of dealing with this rattle. While you are correct in assuming there is no current fix, Sarah began this list (and rightly so!) to make sure we do all we can to pass along the information that the issue is still a prominent concern currently for many owners.

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

SinisterV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V

You can add me to the list. Mine has had the marbles since day one, 5 miles on the clock. The only time you cann hear the marbles is if the hood is open.

Thanks

Kekyco is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 STS

Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
    The supercharger comes from Eaton. GM therefore feels the supercharger is a non-serviceable part. Further, they feel that the sound is normal. Therefore, they are only occasionally replacing superchargers.

The replacement solid isolator is an inexpensive part. Installing it voids the drivetrain warranty even though it solves the problem, so install at your own risk. Others can comment on the install cost but I don't recall it being very high.

w4m was right all along.
    So if the supercharger is considered "Non-serviceable" then how would they know if the isolator was replaced. They would have to "service it" to find out.
    Are we even sure that replacing it voids the warranty?

HeavyH20 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Red 09 CTS-V, Silver 06 STS-V, White 08 SRX

Good point, but I gather that once the unit gets routed back to Eaton and they see that it was modified, they will reject the warranty claim and that will find its way back to you. For anything else, outside of the supercharger, there is no effective way to tell it was serviced aside from that fact that there is no more annoying rattle.

I did put up with it at first, but, after getting a comment from the drive through window cashier that something sounded broken on my car and that I should take a look, I realized that the sound was not my own picky ears hearing things. It was quite loud at 25,000 miles. Hood closed.

Wannago is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, Black, Auto

Add me and my 2009 "diesel" CTS-V to this list please.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyH20 View Post
    Good point, but I gather that once the unit gets routed back to Eaton and they see that it was modified, they will reject the warranty claim and that will find its way back to you. For anything else, outside of the supercharger, there is no effective way to tell it was serviced aside from that fact that there is no more annoying rattle.

I did put up with it at first, but, after getting a comment from the drive through window cashier that something sounded broken on my car and that I should take a look, I realized that the sound was not my own picky ears hearing things. It was quite loud at 25,000 miles. Hood closed.
    But why would it ever be need to routed back to Eaton? The isolator is being replaced so it doesn't fail. You're saying that the supercharger will definitely fail, whether it's changed or not. I don't think that's a good way to look it. Whats the point then? Noise reduction only?

HeavyH20 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Red 09 CTS-V, Silver 06 STS-V, White 08 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by Kekyco View Post
    But why would it ever be need to routed back to Eaton? The isolator is being replaced so it doesn't fail. You're saying that the supercharger will definitely fail, whether it's changed or not. I don't think that's a good way to look it. Whats the point then? Noise reduction only?
    In all likelihood, aside from a catastrophic failure of the supercharger, you are spot on. No one would be the wiser that you ever had that solid isolater installed. But, it is still a risk, albeit, very unlikely.

turbol15 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97 eldo,2011 cts-v

put me on the list please. 2011 1800 miles. also rattle from day 1

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyH20 View Post
    In all likelihood, aside from a catastrophic failure of the supercharger, you are spot on. No one would be the wiser that you ever had that solid isolater installed. But, it is still a risk, albeit, very unlikely.
    Would this repair be considered something a average gear head could do at home? Just thinking that you could always switch it back before making a warranty claim.

I've been lighting shopping for a used 2010 or 11 on and off for a little while and thought I would stop over here and see what everyone had to say about them. I'm finding many with 5,000 - 35,000 and am now thinking if I would be better off with a very low millage one and change the isolator out right away.

Has anyone had to make a claim based on a this isolator causing damage? Other than the just for the noise it makes.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Would this repair be considered something a average gear head could do at home? Just thinking that you could always switch it back before making a warranty claim.
    it involves taking the supercharger snout off essentially. You *could* switch it back, yes. As long as you use black gasket maker putting it back on, presumably no one will be the wiser. The problem is, supercharger failure is rarely on your time, so you'll have to pay for a tow to your shop/house, then pay for a tow to the dealer, and pray it doesn't break when you're say, in the next state over.

could the average wrench turner do this? I suppose, AFAIK, you're taking the belt off, airbox off, and a few bolts for the snout.

I'm finding many with 5,000 - 35,000 and am now thinking if I would be better off with a very low millage one and change the isolator out right away.
    mileage is irrelevent. The shaft will only wear but so much and it's purpose is to prevent the spring from binding on itself. When you remove the spring you remove the reason for the shaft to exist. Which is why if you can tolerate the noise, there's no disadvantage to waiting until the warranty is up to change it out.

Marcuse12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2009

Mine started rattling at 4,000. Now with 10,000 and quite noisy.....List me please. Oh and can I be the first on the list of cars with a creaky center console? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    it involves taking the supercharger snout off essentially. You *could* switch it back, yes. As long as you use black gasket maker putting it back on, presumably no one will be the wiser. The problem is, supercharger failure is rarely on your time, so you'll have to pay for a tow to your shop/house, then pay for a tow to the dealer, and pray it doesn't break when you're say, in the next state over.

could the average wrench turner do this? I suppose, AFAIK, you're taking the belt off, airbox off, and a few bolts for the snout.

mileage is irrelevent. The shaft will only wear but so much and it's purpose is to prevent the spring from binding on itself. When you remove the spring you remove the reason for the shaft to exist. Which is why if you can tolerate the noise, there's no disadvantage to waiting until the warranty is up to change it out.
    Thank for the info. All in all it sounds like its just more of an annoyance than a real problem.

TTuned is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 Cts-V650

So what your saying is I now have justification to have KDI port the snout and SC, swap that isolator piece, and all set here? issue fixed and more power?

valdeztkeCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

I was at an event last night and happened to bring this issue up with two of GM communication representatives.

My bottom line explanation was this:

I, as a performance person, can deal with the rattling to a certain degree. Especially if I modify the car - I almost expect some level of rattle, metallic pinging from the headers, etc. The bigger concern, especially from a brand perspective, has to be the perceived quality and customer loyalty aspect. After spending this sort of money on a new car only to be told sorry, that sound is normal would make one question the brand. I'm sure the new M5 doesn't rattle.

Given the well-known performance capabilities the CTS-V likely draws attention from buyers who might not previously considered a Cadillac let alone a General Motors vehicle. If their first impression is this isolator noise, they may rethink the entire brand.

To the person who made the snide comment about spinning the pulley faster, etc. - there are plenty of people with stock cars under a few thousand miles who have a rattling isolator.

I also agree the sound is a bit embarrassing. It isn't a rhythmic sound like that of an after market cam or something to that effect. Its random and mechanical in sound which echoes "something isn't right here".

Again, I'm in this to ensure General Motors is aware of what could become a smudge on what is likely THE best car they've built to date.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by Kekyco View Post
    Thank for the info. All in all it sounds like its just more of an annoyance than a real problem.
    Exactly. The problem is, they purposefully designed it to reduce the annoyance of gear noise. Instead they introduced a much greater annoyance, and they're unwilling to fix it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.