GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc I would like, if you all are interested, to document your username(s) if you ...
    Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Re: GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    I would like, if you all are interested, to document your username(s) if you own a CTS-V with this concern.
    Consider this my official "documentation" request, please. In addition to the work orders I've lodged on this issue during service.
    Ratz likes this.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

I am on my 3rd V2. I had a 2009 V, a 2010 V and I now have a 2011 V Coupe and NONE of them had this rattle I keep hearing about. All my Vs have been very quiet. I hope GM comes up with a fix for Cadillac CTS-V owners that are experiencing this annoying issue. A $70K+ vehicle should not have this issue at all. If the ZL1's LSA has the solid isolator, GM should just allow dealership techs to install the isolator and be done with it. What's the big deal, GM?

sunsalem is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V BR Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-V-TWIN View Post
    I hope GM comes up with a fix for Cadillac CTS-V owners that are experiencing this annoying issue. A $70K+ vehicle should not have this issue at all. If the ZL1's LSA has the solid isolator, GM should just allow dealership techs to install the isolator and be done with it. What's the big deal, GM?
    +1000

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello all,

If this is a widespread concern, I am happy to document it for further consideration by my superiors. I am unfamiliar with this forum as I am filling in for Katie until Wednesday; are there other threads regarding the supercharger rattle you've described here? What model year(s) is this prevalent in? I would like, if you all are interested, to document your username(s) if you own a CTS-V with this concern.

Regards,
    Sarah
    Cadillac Customer Service
    Hi Sarah, thanks for replying on a weekend. GM/Cadillac is already well aware of the issue and in fact an engineer responded to us on this forum at some point in 2009 or 10. The response was essentially that the sound was normal and not to worry about it. The response, to me, implies that in their typical drivetrain testing, that the supercharger didn't break during durability testing. However, because of the response, many of us, me included, have already moved on to a solid isolater. I never had the noise and frankly didn't want to hear it. I enjoy the generally nice, quiet (except for the supercharger whine and exhaust, thank you! ) cabin in my $65k car.

Just letting you know that many of us have already taken the matter into our own hands....but an official solution for a problem known since 2009 would be nice for those who didn't take matters into their own hands.

muohio is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

My 2011 had this starting the day I drove it home with 4 miles on the odometer. I was also told it was something that I had to live with, but this is now a big concern of mine. Hopefully we will hear more from GM with a possible resolution. Otherwise, I will be going with a solid isolator.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by rjoffe View Post
    Sarah,

First thanks for chiming in on the weekend.

Here are some links:
    Very helpful - thank you! Users who mentioned experiencing the supercharger rattle on those threads (and this thread) had been added to the document I spoke of earlier. Hopefully, those who review the document will move on it.

All the best,
    Sarah Anders/cac/sm/sag
    M5eater, M5eater and RCene like this.

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Sarah,

I think if you want a full count, you could start a new thread and have everyone who has experienced the rattle chime in. For every person that has written about it on those threads there are probably 10 who have the issue, but not contributed.

Ron
    M5eater and M5eater like this.

Mr. GoodCad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Sarah - please add me to your list if it helps. My 2011 V Sedan was new in December, and I heard it for the first time late last month at ~3000 miles. In all likelihood, unless there is a TSB in short order - I will have this fixed myself in the next month or so as others have.

JetFuelOnly is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

The dark gray circle piece with the holes in it that attached to the pulley shaft is the coupler as far as I've called it. Is that what you guys are calling the isolator? In the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, our couplers were also known to make your supercharger sound like a rock tumbler. After market vendors such as ZZPerformance sold replacement ones that were made of a better plastic. Interestingly, the one in the picture in the first post looks nearly identical to the stock GTP piece. I wouldn't be surprised if it started to rattle too. Stock on the left (Eaton) and ZZP on the right:
    is.jpg is1.jpg

HeavyH20 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Red 09 CTS-V, Silver 06 STS-V, White 08 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by JetFuelOnly View Post
    The dark gray circle piece with the holes in it that attached to the pulley shaft is the coupler as far as I've called it. Is that what you guys are calling the isolator? In the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, our couplers were also known to make your supercharger sound like a rock tumbler. After market vendors such as ZZPerformance sold replacement ones that were made of a better plastic. Interestingly, the one in the picture in the first post looks nearly identical to the stock GTP piece. I wouldn't be surprised if it started to rattle too. Stock on the left (Eaton) and ZZP on the right:
    Attachment 88100 Attachment 88101
    The aftermarket ones are not cheap plastic and are machined from solid delrin and should not pose an issue.

JetFuelOnly is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE
    Yeah just saying the ones in the parts picture look like the same crap that Eaton put in the GTP blowers and it they are putting them in the ZL1s they will have the same problems as the Vs. looks like aftermarket couplers will be necessary ZL1 or not.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by JetFuelOnly View Post
    Yeah just saying the ones in the parts picture look like the same crap that Eaton put in the GTP blowers and it they are putting them in the ZL1s they will have the same problems as the Vs. looks like aftermarket couplers will be necessary ZL1 or not.
    The ZR1 people have a solid isolator, and afaik, they do not have this issue.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GoodCad View Post
    Sarah - please add me to your list if it helps.
    Added, Mr. GoodCad!

Mikevette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2011 CTS-V Coupe, 2012 CTS-V Sedan

ADD me to the list of rattle traps under the hood!! My 2011 V coupe, has the issue that my 09 sedan had. It was expalined to me the 1200 RPM test and rattle desipates considered normal. BS!!

Mike P.

mrl859 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 White SRX Performance/2011 Radiant Silver CTS-V Coupe

Add me as well. Are we going to start a list of clicking wheels, too?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.