GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! - Page 20
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So just curious, would my 13 V Coupe have the new parts inside of it? Vehicle was delivered to the ...
    Zhariak is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade ESV Platinum, 2013 CTS-V Coupe 6MT

Re: GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle!

So just curious, would my 13 V Coupe have the new parts inside of it? Vehicle was delivered to the dealer from factory mid December... Oh would it just be vehicles that are currently at the factory about to be shipped out?

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeH View Post
    You can add me to the Rattle list too. Not even 6K miles on my V coupe and already noticeable...
    I've just added your username, Lee! Thank you for letting me know, and email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Lancekl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    I've just added your username, Lee! Thank you for letting me know, and email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance.

Best,

Katie

Katie,
    You have been putting people on the "list" for about 9 months now, think that will solve the problem??

Lance

CoppeR is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 BD Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Lancekl View Post
    Katie,
    You have been putting people on the "list" for about 9 months now, think that will solve the problem??

Lance
    Yup.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by mike_maz View Post
    Attachment 102608

Part Lable 1 is the new part. it is 19301022. Check your dealer for yourself and see when it is expected to come off backorder. I was told its priority is to put it on all of the new CTS V's rolling off the factory floor first and then offer to dealers when the stockpile is built up. Again, I have not seen first hand but was told mr a reliable source at GM that this new part has the solid isolater and is for both the being built now Zl1's and the CTS v 2013 models. Your best bet to get on doen under warranty is to set up a meeting with your dealers regional GM Rep and complain about the noise. the squeeky wheel gets the grease, or should I say the noisey blower gets replaced.
    I'll believe it when I see it. Wonder y gm would even bother with '13 being the last model year for the V2.

theamcguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by CoppeR View Post
    Yup.

----------

I'll believe it when I see it. Wonder y gm would even bother with '13 being the last model year for the V2.
    Not the last year for the supercharger though. I'm sure they will use it on other models in the future.

For those waiting for the recall or a TSB directing Cadillac to change the Superchargers for the noise, I'll believe when I see it. Manufacturers often upgrade parts without incurring the responsibility to go back and then upgrade past models with the new change. Like I have stated before the Supercharger performs as designed, they just found a better design. The wheel click was a different matter, wheels should not click and after 14 TSBs they finally found the cure. For those with the noise, if the solid insulator is the cure then have it done. If GM then issues a TSB authorizing the change submit your receipt for reimbursement. This is car is the first where owners have found a better way than was originally designed.

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

Quote Originally Posted by CoppeR View Post
    +1! But probably the same reason why they get 2 piece rotors.

KellyE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2012 CTS V Sedan Thundar Gray 2007 STS V Sedan

This is the response I got from my dealer when I took my car in for the noise! Not getting fixed…
    Attached Images

theamcguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by KellyE View Post
    This is the response I got from my dealer when I took my car in for the noise! Not getting fixed…
    Because there is nothing to fix. The noise is normal and is a result of the design.

Q&A from Ed Piatek the Program Engineering Manager on the CTS-V Notice the answer to the last question in Bold

1. Q: Will this shaft wear harm my engine?
    A: No. The visible wear will not damage the engine. The supercharger and the engine were tested and successfully validated to meet all GM durability requirements…which are much more severe than any customer usage.

2. Q: What causes this wear?
    A: The isolator contains a torsional spring that fits over the shaft. The purpose of the shaft is to better distribute the stresses in the torsional spring and prolong its life. As the spring goes thru its travel, the inside of the coils can contact the shaft. The spring is a harder material than the shaft…so that when there is contact, the spring will not potentially break. If the spring breaks, then the torsional isolator function is lost.

3. Q: Can the shaft wear all the way thru and broken pieces get into my engine?
    A: No. The travel on the spring that is contacting the shaft is limited. It cannot wear all the way thru the shaft. The shaft and isolator are in a sealed cavity, separate from the rest of the supercharger and engine. It cannot be ingested into the engine.

4. Q: Can worn bits or wear debris from the shaft get into my engine?
    A: No. Again, the torsional isolator is in a SEALED cavity inside the supercharger. The seals on the bearings have not been compromised and wear debris is fully contained in this cavity.

5. Q: Why is the isolator design better than a solid coupling?
    A: The torsional isolator does precisely that – it isolates an even more objectionable gear rattle noise that was being heard inside the vehicle cabin at all times during idle. The solid coupling will not eliminate this noise.

6. Q: My car is now quiet after I replaced the isolator w/ a solid coupling…how do you explain that?
    A: If the ONLY modification was the replacement of the isolator w/ solid coupling…then it’s unlikely that it’s completely quiet. Most likely, you WILL have the timing gear rattle noise inside the cabin. Initially, it may sound better because the random “knocking” noise outside the vehicle is reduced…but you’ve now traded that noise for the gear rattle noise. Now…if you also replaced the induction system and exhaust system w/ louder aftermarket/performance parts…then it’s no longer an accurate comparison because you may not hear gear rattle over the increased exhaust and other noises in the cabin at idle. By the way, the torsional isolator is not a serviceable part…and removing the front inlet to replace with another part has warranty implications.

7. Q: Will GM be releasing a service fix for the shaft wear?
    A: No. The current torsional isolator design does not diminish or compromise the durability or longevity of the supercharger or the engine. It has been fully validated to that effect. It also provides a benefit to the customer in terms of reduced noise at idle inside the vehicle…where the driver and passengers will be located during vehicle operation.

It is pretty clear right from GM. Some people see the shaft wear and say it is a bad design, no it was designed to do that and the balance gets better as a result of the wear. See question 3. Fact high performance engines are always nosier than regular engines. Loose clearances, superchargers, etc make noise. Go find a high performance car that has a solid lifter cam, start it up tap tap tap tap tap Sounds like the valve train is coming apart couple that with loose clearances and it sounds like a bucket of bolts but it goes like stink. I have diesel Ram pickup with a Cummins Engine, the fuel injection system rattles like crazy but pulls a load unbelievably. I have a an old street HEMI, start it up and between the solid lifter cam, and loose clearances it sounds like a bucket of bolts, uses a quart of oil every 700 mi and the plugs are always dripping with oil but it again it pulls unbelievable and I keep the plug companies in business. High performance engines do not act like regular engines, they make more noise. If all of that bothers you and you feel it is Cadillac's fault then you bought a car with one too many letters in the name what you wanted was the CTS.

----------

One more thing I've read posts where the poster states he is embarrassed by the noise emanating from his engine because of the supercharger rattle. Some have stated they were subject to questions from friends saying their car sounded like it was falling apart. Tell them to get in, wring it out, scare the crap out of them, and then say your car doesn't do that because it isn't noisy. High Performance cars are noisy and sometimes temperamental but they always bring a smile when the accelerator is pushed.
    LJMartin and LJMartin like this.

Mark eheler is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 cts-v

their nothing normal about a rattle. pour design! if i had a 1969 hemi i would understand or a cummins but i dont. not very happy

Purevil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V
    Katie, please add my name too. My '10 V with 13K on it is getting noisy, grrr.

Scott Coil

akh
    akh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 DTS 2011 CTS-V COUPE

Katie,

Please add my name also 11 V 3K Anthony Haverkamp

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Purevil View Post
    Katie, please add my name too. My '10 V with 13K on it is getting noisy, grrr.

Scott Coil
    Quote Originally Posted by akh View Post
    Katie,

Please add my name also 11 V 3K Anthony Haverkamp
    Thank you for alerting me, Anthony and Scott! I'm just including user names on our list (with a link to this thread URL), and both of your user names have been added.

Katie

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
    WoW....... After reading through this post it's obvious that GM needs to release a TSB for the upper pulley bearing/isolator to the supercharger, replacing the spring design with a solid design.

This video below at the 5:00 minute point on explains the problem and the fix really well, a GM tech needs to watch this;

http://youtu.be/sm4Jh_B2r6Y

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    WoW....... After reading through this post it's obvious that GM needs to release a TSB for the upper pulley bearing to the supercharger, replacing the spring design with a solid design.

This video below at the 5:00 minute point on explains the problem and the fix really well, a GM tech needs to see this;

http://youtu.be/sm4Jh_B2r6Y
    GM will not do it because the isolator is considered a part of the Eaton supercharger, and the supercharger is not considered defective because of noise the oem isolator causes. Even if GM consented to replacing the supercharger, you would no doubt receive another supercharger with the same type of noisey isolator in it. So far as I am aware neither Eaton or GM has acknowledged that the noisey isolator is a problem.

Rob

m5biemer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS V Wagon, Audi RS4, Jeep SRT8

I got exactly the same printout from my dealer the other day. There's no fix in the pipeline!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.