GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! - Page 17
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by theamcguy There is a new TSB for the front wheel clicking noise, the fix is all new ...
    CTS-Vluvr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

Re: GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle!

Quote Originally Posted by theamcguy View Post
    There is a new TSB for the front wheel clicking noise, the fix is all new lug nuts and a new torque spec. Your dealer can perform the service. The rear hats were painted from the factory, if the paint peeled off (due to heat) and your dealer is offering to repaint, why would this not be acceptable? Ask him to use high heat paint from VHT. Reference Supercharger noise, superchargers are noisy. This is the tradeoff for increased power. If you do not like the noise then you bought the wrong model car. You should have purchased the CTS. GM designed the supercharger isolator to eliminate gear rattle noise during idle. It performs as designed. They sealed the area where the isolator resides because they knew the spring on the isolator would wear the shaft. In fact there have been studies done and the wear results in a better balanced assembly over time. The wear reaches a certain point and then the wear stops, it does not continue forever. If you replace the spring loaded isolator with a solid isolator you eliminate the wear (tradeoff; you will not receive the added benefit of better shaft balance) and instead of the isolator rattle you will get timing gear rattle noise inside the cabin, but bottom line is you will have a noise, you just need to decide which noise you want or is more acceptable.

Read this post from Ed Piatek the Program Engineering Manager on the CTS-V as he explains the function of the torsional isolator.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...haft-wear.html
    Great, I'll have them address the lug nut/torque spec, thanks. I owned a 2008 CTS and it was great, but I stepped up to the V for all the obvious reasons. I like supercharger whine, I am disheartened by supercharger rattle.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by mike_maz View Post
    Please add me to this very long list of un-happy / embarrassed cts-v owners. My 75k car sounds like a beater. Not to mention how sick I am of having to constantly hear "what is the awful noise, that sounds like your car is falling apart from the inside out" literally the case. The car is falling apart from the inside of the motor out.. If this was a BMW, this issue would have been recalled right away because BMW does not want the bad press, evidently GM does not care about the bad press this issue is giving them. Please add me to this useless list..
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancekl View Post
    You might as well put me on the list, just purchased a used 2011 coupe with less than 7K miles on it. It makes the noise also.

What if anything is going to be done with "the list"
    Mike_maz, ctsvchicago, and Lancekl, I have just updated the list with your usernames. Sarah and I continue to pass along updates to our list to bring attention to the issue. Back on page 6 of this thread, I pointed out that we hope seeing that a large percentage of owners have this issue helps build a case for the resolution. "Sarah began this list (and rightly so!) to make sure we do all we can to pass along the information that the issue is still a prominent concern currently for many owners."

I'm so sorry the frustrations have continued for you all, and if you would ever like me to document you individual concerns further please email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

rayjoedef is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe...

People....don't waste your time with these GM CS TOOLS....call GM directly and keep pecking at them...they eventually fold, however you may get someone in Argentina...."Standard of the World"....BMW, MERC, and Audi are laughing!!
    Trapspeed and Trapspeed like this.

Trapspeed is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by rayjoedef
    People....don't waste your time with these GM CS TOOLS....call GM directly and keep pecking at them...they eventually fold, however you may get someone in Argentina...."Standard of the World"....BMW, MERC, and Audi are laughing!!
    ^^^^ What he said. That's what I've moved on to.

dennych is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by rayjoedef View Post
    ow.......

theamcguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by rayjoedef View Post
    I do not think that is a fair statement. What would you like Cadillac to do about the supercharger noise? The part is functioning as designed. It trades one noise for another. It does not affect performance or the service life of the unit. In fact the more wear the better balanced the assembly is. If uou find the noise objectionable and if you feel that the solid isolator is the solution then go ahead and have the work done. But asking GM to warranty or issue a recall for something that is functioning as designed is unrealistic.

Lancekl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by theamcguy View Post
    But asking GM to warranty or issue a recall for something that is functioning as designed is unrealistic.
    So they designed it to make a horrible rattling sound??

Trapspeed is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Essentially yes so that the rattling sound wasn't heard inside the car. Personally, I'd like it reversed!

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

It's BS anyway you slice it. They added a lot of sound dampening to the car so we don't hear the V8 engine. But the rattle is okay? Probably why I see a lot of used V's on Audi, Merc, and Bimmer lots.

Mr. LCP is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    My car's build date was 4 years ago and it has 37k miles. It rattles. Does it rattle to the extent of meeting the TSB requirements? Possibly. I haven't removed the belt to do the test. Does it sound like junk when standing near the car? Yes. Should it have worn to the point where it doesn't make this noise any more if the wear theory is correct? I'd think so. But it hasn't so either that theory is bunk or 37k miles is not yet enough break in time. Guess which one it must be?

specld is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theamcguy

There is a new TSB for the front wheel clicking noise, the fix is all new lug nuts and a new torque spec. Your dealer can perform the service. The rear hats were painted from the factory, if the paint peeled off (due to heat) and your dealer is offering to repaint, why would this not be acceptable? Ask him to use high heat paint from VHT. Reference Supercharger noise, superchargers are noisy. This is the tradeoff for increased power. If you do not like the noise then you bought the wrong model car. You should have purchased the CTS. GM designed the supercharger isolator to eliminate gear rattle noise during idle. It performs as designed. They sealed the area where the isolator resides because they knew the spring on the isolator would wear the shaft. In fact there have been studies done and the wear results in a better balanced assembly over time. The wear reaches a certain point and then the wear stops, it does not continue forever. If you replace the spring loaded isolator with a solid isolator you eliminate the wear (tradeoff; you will not receive the added benefit of better shaft balance) and instead of the isolator rattle you will get timing gear rattle noise inside the cabin, but bottom line is you will have a noise, you just need to decide which noise you want or is more acceptable.

Read this post from Ed Piatek the Program Engineering Manager on the CTS-V as he explains the function of the torsional isolator.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...haft-wear.html
    The isolator pulley is a problem because it has spring pressed around the barring there are other alternatives but cannot confirm your timing gear theory I would like to check with my sources at linginfelter
    Not saying you are incorrect just saying these guise deal with this problem all the time

CTS NV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You can add me to this list.

I brought the car in for service today for another issue and mentioned the supercharger sounds like a bucket of marbles at idle (it's gotten a lot louder). I'll see if the dealer attempts to address this...

Polarbob is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

Since the resilient feature of the V isolator has merit, why can't a quiet one be designed ? Why does it need to be such a crude spring design ?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by CTS NV View Post
    You can add me to this list.
    Done! Thank you for alerting me, CTS NV!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

LJMartin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

If GM found a solution for the noise, why would they not recall all the SC caddies. Most people that are not performace minded would think that a 2012 that sounded like it was going to fall apart would not be a good choice for there next car. That is why diesel's were such a hard sell till they fixed the noise problem. Who would want to buy a brand new car that sounded like the rods were about to come through the side of the block.JMO.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.