GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! - Page 16
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Theghost, your user name is now on the list! I appreciate your viewpoint and if you'd ever like me to ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle!

Theghost, your user name is now on the list! I appreciate your viewpoint and if you'd ever like me to set up a service request (case) for your particular concern, then please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

DRL650 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS V Coupe

Katie sent you a pm. My new 2012 with 155 miles has this noise which I dont really care for.. any TSB or fix? add me to this list. Thanks.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Thanks for the heads up, DRL650! I will reply to your DM shortly after posting this response and have added you to the list.

Best,

Katie

ctsvchicago is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello all,

If this is a widespread concern, I am happy to document it for further consideration by my superiors. I am unfamiliar with this forum as I am filling in for Katie until Wednesday; are there other threads regarding the supercharger rattle you've described here? What model year(s) is this prevalent in? I would like, if you all are interested, to document your username(s) if you own a CTS-V with this concern.

Regards,
    Sarah
    2011 CTSV coupe user 18K and just started making the noise

topend22 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 607 RWHP 627 TQ 2013 SRX, 1998 Seville STS

Please add me to this very long list of un-happy / embarrassed cts-v owners. My 75k car sounds like a beater. Not to mention how sick I am of having to constantly hear "what is the awful noise, that sounds like your car is falling apart from the inside out" literally the case. The car is falling apart from the inside of the motor out.. If this was a BMW, this issue would have been recalled right away because BMW does not want the bad press, evidently GM does not care about the bad press this issue is giving them. Please add me to this useless list..

TTuned is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 Cts-V650

I disagree with you there bc my other car is a N54 based BMW, exhaust flapper rattles, turbo wastegate rattles, hesitant cold starts, and hestitant warm starts hpf or injectors might be failing again. Car hates waking up in the morning. Oh and decarb service $800 because its a direct injection engine not covered under maint. New nav computer cc unit $1200 and it still says no nav disk if its to hot or cold outside, works perfectly when you pull into the dealer. It took a law suit then exposure on a show like dateline to issue a hpfp recall.
    Also they want to void your turbo warranty and exhaust warranty if you have downpipes, a tune or anything aftermarket. M5 has many many $$$$ issues that's why a 100k smg car is now 30k.
    So don't think the grass is greener. This is my experience in 3 years. Any high hp or performance car will have issues, comes with the territory. They are all awesome when they run, big power, but by no means a base model rental car reliability.
    Everything on the LSA is so cheap in comparison to mb and BMW I've owned, with bigger power figures.
    Club Malibu and Club Malibu like this.

Lancekl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, DRL650! I will reply to your DM shortly after posting this response and have added you to the list.

Best,

Katie
    You might as well put me on the list, just purchased a used 2011 coupe with less than 7K miles on it. It makes the noise also.

What if anything is going to be done with "the list"

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancekl

What if anything is going to be done with "the list"
    Other than to make us "feel better" not a damn thing. I have an open service case with GM now to see what will be done with mine after a recent service resulted in the "it's normal" condition even though the noise is present above 1,400 RPM which is where the suggested replacement threshold was in the TSB if I recall correctly. My hopes are about as high as a midget in a limbo contest.

Lancekl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed View Post
    Other than to make us "feel better" not a damn thing. I have an open service case with GM now to see what will be done with mine after a recent service resulted in the "it's normal" condition even though the noise is present above 1,400 RPM which is where the suggested replacement threshold was in the TSB if I recall correctly. My hopes are about as high as a midget in a limbo contest.
    That is my guess also. I am new to this forum and have noted that this thread has been going on for 9 months with nothing actually being done
    except adding people to a "list". I knew of the issue, but purchased my car anyway, will probably fix it myself. Just dissapointing to know that
    Cadillac (GM) would leave customers hanging over what would be a simple fix.

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

Slow your roll guys, nothing is going to happen, the "list" is just BS propaganda.

CTS-Vluvr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

Yes! I need to be added to the list. I had my SC replaced at 3,000 miles because of the rattle and at 11,500 it's doing it again, even worse. Also, I had the front rim clicking problem which was addressed by cadillac installing 2 piece front rotors. It helped for a while, but now the clicking is back and has been pointed out by several friends. Please fix these problems now before I have to look elsewhere when it comes time to make a new purchase! Also, the paint on the rear disc hats disintegrated and the hats are rusty. My dealer is prepared to remove them and repaint them with spray paint. Is this acceptable?

theamcguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-Vluvr View Post
    Yes! I need to be added to the list. I had my SC replaced at 3,000 miles because of the rattle and at 11,500 it's doing it again, even worse. Also, I had the front rim clicking problem which was addressed by cadillac installing 2 piece front rotors. It helped for a while, but now the clicking is back and has been pointed out by several friends. Please fix these problems now before I have to look elsewhere when it comes time to make a new purchase! Also, the paint on the rear disc hats disintegrated and the hats are rusty. My dealer is prepared to remove them and repaint them with spray paint. Is this acceptable?
    There is a new TSB for the front wheel clicking noise, the fix is all new lug nuts and a new torque spec. Your dealer can perform the service. The rear hats were painted from the factory, if the paint peeled off (due to heat) and your dealer is offering to repaint, why would this not be acceptable? Ask him to use high heat paint from VHT. Reference Supercharger noise, superchargers are noisy. This is the tradeoff for increased power. If you do not like the noise then you bought the wrong model car. You should have purchased the CTS. GM designed the supercharger isolator to eliminate gear rattle noise during idle. It performs as designed. They sealed the area where the isolator resides because they knew the spring on the isolator would wear the shaft. In fact there have been studies done and the wear results in a better balanced assembly over time. The wear reaches a certain point and then the wear stops, it does not continue forever. If you replace the spring loaded isolator with a solid isolator you eliminate the wear (tradeoff; you will not receive the added benefit of better shaft balance) and instead of the isolator rattle you will get timing gear rattle noise inside the cabin, but bottom line is you will have a noise, you just need to decide which noise you want or is more acceptable.

Read this post from Ed Piatek the Program Engineering Manager on the CTS-V as he explains the function of the torsional isolator.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...haft-wear.html

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Not a flame on you...the functional rattle I understand personally but what I won't settle for is a rubber stamp answer from GM that they apply to any noise coming from the unit. I think I've got a bad bearing or something because the rattle persists above 1,400 RPM (which is where I believe the TSB threshold for "normal" is) and I want someone to fix that. That's all I ask but I can't seem to get anyone from GM to listen...yet. Still working on it.

theamcguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon

There have been 6 versions of TSB PIP4523 (the original & A-F) They all say about the same thing they just update years and models. According to the TSB if the rattling noise is experienced, perform the diagnostic steps below:
    1. Park in an open area with the hood and windows closed.
    2. With the engine at operating temperature, raise the RPM to 1200 RPM and re-evaluate the noise while sitting inside of the vehicle. If the noise is no longer present, this should be considered a normal noise characteristic of the supercharger - do not replace the supercharger in an attempt to repair this noise.

If the noise is still present, allow the engine to cool, temporarily remove the supercharger belt, and listen to the noise again.
    If the noise was present at 1200 RPM with the belt on but is gone with the supercharger belt removed, replace the supercharger by following SI procedures and re-evaluate the concern.

That is the criteria. The noise must be gone above 1200 rpm with the belt removed.

KellyE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2012 CTS V Sedan Thundar Gray 2007 STS V Sedan

I called to make an appointment because of that LOUD awful noise emitting from the underneath side of my $75,000 car! My Service Advisor said there is nothing that can be done at this time.When it is time for my first service (I am at 1600 miles and 79% oil life), we could see if there is any resolution available..So I guess I will be sitting on my thumbs!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.