GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! - Page 15
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by King335i If you haven't totally given up on life then you should care RudyR1999. My BMW never ...
    RudyR1999 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle!

Quote Originally Posted by King335i View Post
    If you haven't totally given up on life then you should care RudyR1999. My BMW never did any of that crap, why does my Cadillac? Thankfully GM stepped up to the plate and fixed my wheel clicking problem by giving me a nice set of 2-piece rotors.
    I care very much about life.

I spend 80% of my time, in the CTS-V, with the windows down, stereo pumping, and my foot planted to the floor. If you are driving in a manor where you can hear every noise you are in the wrong car. This car is not a BMW nor Mercedes Benz. It is a man's four door Corvette. Since the first Model-T was driven off of the assembly line every American car has made noise.

-Rudy
    JFJr and JFJr like this.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Finally, a man's man! I don't drive around listening for little noises with a stethoscope either.

Rich Browne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by baabootoo View Post
    Finally, a man's man! I don't drive around listening for little noises with a stethoscope either.
    there are at least three of us here. Nice to hear from folks who just love these cars - they do kick ass!
    NAX-121 and NAX-121 like this.

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Quote Originally Posted by LV_V View Post
    Some folks have reported having their superchargers fail and/or replaced as a result of this "annoying noise" that you and your old lady seem to enjoy. Please by all means continue to enjoy this nasty rattle, but I won't stand for it.
    Is this entirely accurate? It has been proven that the fail was a result of the rattle? I'm not sure that's entirely true. People have had their blowers replaced because of failure, but I'm not sure any of them were proven that the isolator was the cause. In fact, I thought just the opposite, that it has been proven that the noise and wear that occurs will not hurt the blower.

I could be wrong, but if the rattle had been proven to destroy blowers GM would have changed the design or gotten the supplier to change the design a long time ago.

Rich Browne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
    Is this entirely accurate? It has been proven that the fail was a result of the rattle? I'm not sure that's entirely true. People have had their blowers replaced because of failure, but I'm not sure any of them were proven that the isolator was the cause. In fact, I thought just the opposite, that it has been proven that the noise and wear that occurs will not hurt the blower.

I could be wrong, but if the rattle had been proven to destroy blowers GM would have changed the design or gotten the supplier to change the design a long time ago.
    Not unique to GM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq-7yj7_HUU

http://top40-charts.com/videos/play.php?vid=l4GnrMc50Rk

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202...ding-when.html

CoppeR is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 BD Coupe

Fix for 2013 MY or do I have to buy a Camaro?

Cub Cadet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6spd MANUAL

Not fixed for the CTS-V.

FrcFed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 13 TGC Coupe / 04 S/C GTO

joy another thing to fix, well guess if its not that bad of a swap to go with the solid you can always put it back in before bringing the car in for service if its SC related...just sayen

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

Guys this is so old. The coupler will not cause a failure. If anything as the shaft wears it get quieter as there is less interaction with the spring. The shaft it rides on is a non issue and even if it fails it is not catastrophic. Go solid isolator or let it go.

I too love this car for what it is. BAD ASSSSSSSSSS!

Mr. GoodCad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
    I could be wrong, but isn't this what is implied by a solid isolator being standard in the LSA/Eaton powered new Camaro ZL1? I replaced mine and moved on.

4DR_ZR1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Meh... I enjoy hearing the isolator rattle.

It is a satisfying reminder to me and an indicator to others as they walk past the V, hearing both the exhaust rumble and the engine chatter, that there is definitely NOT some wimpy V-6 idling under the hood. I guess it carries me back to days of solid lifter clatter and multiple carb setups sucking in air.

If mind numbing engine silence is the desire - a Lexus may more preferable.

My $.02

SoCal_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan - diamond white / graphite wheels

I don't find the noise acceptable on a $70,000 car...so I replaced it with a solid isolator. Work I shouldn't have had to do myself, but oh well. Now I'm hitting the gas and not thinking about it

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

I would take it over fake engine noise pumped into through the audio system.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona
    I would take it over fake engine noise pumped into through the audio system.
    Oh yeah!

theghost is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2011 AWD Turbo SRX

Katie, Please add me to this evolving list... Mine has rattled since purchased brand new off the floor and I have 4,700 miles on it... "Sounds like a Diesel" (clocking sound) at idle and also under throttle. Very embarrasing, to say the least. Same issue as everyone else has described. I've documented it with video but no point of posting as I think it's well known now. Cadillac "GM" should warranty this issue for a proper replacement and fix it under the mfg. warranty. Sadly I'm sure how bad the shaft will look like when pulled and a shame that it had to even "go through" that.. EATON / GM should have worked together better on this design and could only imagine all the metal that's accumulating everytime I turn it over. This could have been easily avoided again through proper design and a solid isolater. As user's mentioned the trade-off sound would be worth every penny, if even applicable. If it wasn't under the mfg. warranty, I would have already scheduled to have it fixed with a "solid isolater" but I don't want to void the warranty. What's disappointing is the "wear" & "damage" that is actually taking place on the shaft AND the isolater... Not acceptable "FOR ME" to spend $75 grand on a vehicle and just have to "put up with it" or "turn up the radio". Not a good excuse really for any new Cadillac CTS-V owner, that has a vehicle that has not been modified.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.