GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Changed my isolator to a solid one today. My car only has 2656 miles on it... This is what I ...
    NickCat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sport Wagon 6MT Black Diamond Tricoat

Re: GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle!

Changed my isolator to a solid one today.

My car only has 2656 miles on it...

This is what I found...

089C4672.jpg089C4671.jpg

That's a pretty crazy amount of wear. From seeing other pictures, I'm assuming that the wear up front is probably the worst, then it slows over time since the helical grove pattern has less material to get in the way of the spring.

I will have to admit, I've swapped one sound for another.

I was only hearing the rattle off either just off idle in 1st or when shutting down the car. It was a series of one, two or three, 'knocks' in fairly rapid succession.

Now I'm hearing what I assume is the gear whine GM was trying to eliminate in the first place. I'm only hearing it starting off the car in 1st for about 1/2 second. It's not the same noise, but it's a different noise. It sounds mechanical, but certainly not anything of great consequence. I'm sure after driving the car for a week I won't even notice it. And frankly I'll take the new noise for the piece of mind that I'm not chewing up that shaft at an alarming rate. Most people probably don't pick up on the new noise because they are making other changes at the same time that increase the overall sound of the car masking the new sound, or they assume the new sound is part of the new changes.

The other things that bothered me... the inside of the snout with the isolator was completely covered in a fine layer of the ground metal, which was rusting. There was also enough built up to form a small pile on bottom of the hole. It all wiped clean, so no harm, other than the fact that it was there in the first place.

Even if it's sealed... what is the real long term impact for that sort of very fine metallic dust on the bearings on other side of that cavity?

While we were in there we lightly ported and polished the snout housing for good measure.

089C4692.jpg

CN: Changed the isolator, lots of wear for low miles, swapped one noise for another.
    Houdini, Houdini, theghost and 1 others like this.

SoCal_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan - diamond white / graphite wheels

NickCat, the SC shaft on my car had as much wear as yours, and I was only at 750mi. Apparently the wear occurs quickly from the moment the car is new and tapers off as the material is worn away.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal_V View Post
    NickCat, the SC shaft on my car had as much wear as yours, and I was only at 750mi. Apparently the wear occurs quickly from the moment the car is new and tapers off as the material is worn away.
    I was going to say the exact same thing. The majority of the pictures I've seen all look like have roughly the same amount of wear on them.

Did you change anything else when you changed your isolator? Do you have an AT or MT? Are you getting another noise now?

While I was in there I installed a KPE cold air induction kit. I have a AT, no other noise except glorious supercharger whine which was magnified by the cold air intake.

The "gear rattle" at idle is a crock compared to how loud the spring-loaded isolator rattle was. What a stupid design for that spring loaded isolator...as mentioned earlier, GM engineered a "fix" for the gear rattle and in the process created a much, MUCH louder & embarrassing problem with the spring rattle/shaft wear. The solid isolator is the way to go.

M5eater is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Even if it's sealed... what is the real long term impact for that sort of very fine metallic dust on the bearings on other side of that cavity?
    Ask the people with 100K mile V2's.

Heh... how many have made it to 100K without modifying the car though?

I think we'd have to weigh the desire and ease of modification on the V against the number of people who made it to 100K with a bone stock car.

I don't expect it would straight out fail if not replaced, it just seems like fine particulate like that near bearings is an ugly combo. However, it does seem that the wear on the shaft tapers off quickly after the first few thousand miles. Just makes you wonder what particular level or wear or part failure causes the "marbles under the hood" type of rattle to start up at idle.

So the "sound" I'm getting now was definitely present before the swap, it was just less noticeable with the stock isolator. So I feel pretty comfortable calling it gear rattle now and I'm still very happy with my decision to swap the isolator.

oldiemotors is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Katie, please add me to your list. My supercharger was replaced at around 33k miles. Now at 43k miles and when I had my car at my Cadillac dealer I mentioned the rattle. They now say that the noise is normal.

I don't doubt that the supercharger & SC shaft will last 100k miles with the spring-loaded isolator, just as the engineers say it will.

I don't doubt that the worn shaft will have zero effect on driveability and reliability...

I *DO* doubt that many people will want to endure the marbles-in-a-can *RATTLE* created by the stock isolator for 100,000-miles on their $65,000 vehicle. That would be torture IMO. Once you hear it, you can't un-hear it.

I'm confident the GM engineers understand the mechanical durability...I'm also confident the GM engineers aren't driving this car every day listening to the unacceptable rattle.
    theghost and theghost like this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by oldiemotors View Post
    Katie, please add me to your list. My supercharger was replaced at around 33k miles. Now at 43k miles and when I had my car at my Cadillac dealer I mentioned the rattle. They now say that the noise is normal.
    oldiemotors, I'm so sorry to hear that! I just finished updating the list with your username on it; thank you very much for letting me know.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Griffin337 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    oldiemotors, I'm so sorry to hear that! I just finished updating the list with your username on it; thank you very much for letting me know.

Best,

Katie

Add me as well. Just picked up a CPO wagon.. why i didnt stick with another AMG.. i have had the car for about two weeks and its been into the dealer 3 times. Now i have the loose seat, rattling supercharger, grinding coming from the rear wheels, squeeky brakes.. So much for the 172 point CPO checklist! Not very impressed so far. And all the outsourced non american customer service reps could really care less..

Thank you for alerting me, Griffin337. Your name is now on the list as well, and I can appreciate how you feel; you do not expect problems when purchasing a Cadillac, and I'm sad to hear of your experience.

Best,

Katie

Griffin337 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

How many people are on this "list"?

yellowviper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 ctsv coupe

Just bought the car yesterday 2012 coupe
    and honestly worse car buying experiance ever and now i see this really wish i kept my viper

Kate please also put me on a list
    thank you
    jon

Jon, I'm so sorry to hear about both the rattle (your username has been added to the list) and your buying experience! If you continue to have any concerns besides the rattle, or would like me to document your buying experience, please don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for assistance.

Griffin337, there are 54 names and counting on the list. (Thank you all again for your participation!)

Best,

Katie

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin337 View Post
    How many people are on this "list"?
    Better....what's being done with the list? (Don't answer that)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.