GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Every car has something that can be improved. The fact that we are complaining about a slight marble sound at ...
    HeavyH20 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Red 09 CTS-V, Silver 06 STS-V, White 08 SRX
    Every car has something that can be improved. The fact that we are complaining about a slight marble sound at idle that can be remedied for $65 and two hours of shop time attests to how well these cars are designed and built. Night and day to my old 05 V with the glass rear and axles. My buddy and I went to the new car show (we both have 09 CTS-V's) and there is nothing I saw that drove me to trade it for under $100k aside from another CTS-V. These cars are that good.

Reeper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTSV 2007 Escalade ESV

Re: GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle!

My 2010 CTSV has the noise too!

So, I just ordered an isolator bushing from Lingenfelter and should be here next week.

MReiland is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 13 Volt, 2008 Outlook XR (05 CTS Blk/Blk Traded-in)

Instead of saying that you need to tell GM, you actually probably need to tell EATON!!!! I believe they designed it and service any that have problems....

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
    Eaton certainly is the OEM, but the buck stops with GM as the integrator. As we blast GM, GM should be relaying some of that blast over to Eaton and work out a way to retro an improved isolator in a warranty safe manner. Somehow they have to get over it being a "non-serviceable part," when it very clearly CAN be serviced in the field by competent mechanics.

theamcguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by GMX322V S/C View Post
    Eaton certainly is the OEM, but the buck stops with GM as the integrator. As we blast GM, GM should be relaying some of that blast over to Eaton and work out a way to retro an improved isolator in a warranty safe manner. Somehow they have to get over it being a "non-serviceable part," when it very clearly CAN be serviced in the field by competent mechanics.
    It is not GM's or Eatons fault when a part is functioning as designed. GM tests a lot of cars and engines before it gets released to production. I am sure some of them made the noise that some owners are now experiencing. But there is a reason some engineer put that spring in there. Usually a spring on a rotating assembly is there to absorb shock. Kind of like the vibration dampener on the front of the crankshaft. Could be that the noise in some instances is the trade off to making the supercharger last longer. I am quite sure GM tested the supercharger both with and without the solid isolator and something they saw made them choose the spring loaded isolator over the solid isolator, the trade off is the noise. Some have said that the new ZL1 will have the solid isolator, but what else did they change that allows them to use a solid isolator and still reduce the warranty repairs? Parts are designed not only to function but also to survive the warranty period. A nice quiet part that fails before the warranty is up causes as much problem as the noise is now. The "fix" is the solid isolator that voids the warranty. The choice is yours, not GM's or Eaton's.

Quote Originally Posted by theamcguy View Post
    It is not GM's or Eatons fault when a part is functioning as designed...Could be that the noise in some instances is the trade off to making the supercharger last longer...
    This has become circular, so I'll drop it after re-quoting one last time:

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Piatek
    The torsional isolator is used in the CTSv LSA engine to isolate potential gear rattle noise during idle...
    It fails by inducing a rattle of it's own. Longevity is not mentioned.

It's ironic that they went through all the trouble to develop and implement other NVH reducing measures such as engine covers, intake tract tuning, acoustic dampening of the supercharger lid, hypereutectic pistons, mild lift cam, cast iron manifolds, and so on, just to make it quiet enough so that the isolator coupler rattle stands out all that much more.

352 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS, STS V

I cannot ask the dealer to install the isolaror which begs the question who can I ask to do this work in the Washington, DC area without boggering-up the job and the new car warranty?

Oh, by the by, I sent via Cadillac's website an email addressing the isolator issue. Furthermore, I told them that their response would determine whether I purchase a V.

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Behe performance

Reeper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTSV 2007 Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by theamcguy View Post
    It is not GM's or Eatons fault when a part is functioning as designed. GM tests a lot of cars and engines before it gets released to production. I am sure some of them made the noise that some owners are now experiencing. But there is a reason some engineer put that spring in there. Usually a spring on a rotating assembly is there to absorb shock. Kind of like the vibration dampener on the front of the crankshaft. Could be that the noise in some instances is the trade off to making the supercharger last longer. I am quite sure GM tested the supercharger both with and without the solid isolator and something they saw made them choose the spring loaded isolator over the solid isolator, the trade off is the noise. Some have said that the new ZL1 will have the solid isolator, but what else did they change that allows them to use a solid isolator and still reduce the warranty repairs? Parts are designed not only to function but also to survive the warranty period. A nice quiet part that fails before the warranty is up causes as much problem as the noise is now. The "fix" is the solid isolator that voids the warranty. The choice is yours, not GM's or Eaton's.
    so let me ask this question, with all of the pictures of damaged input shafts with the spring loaded piece and with varying mileage (as low as a thousand miles to 20-40k miles) would the damage be more or less severe with a solid bushing? Because if the wear goes unnoticed there will be lots of SC's being hurt (hopefully no motorseither). If anyone can confirm LESS wear on the input shaft (of SC) please chime in and show GM some proof so we have more ammo for a warranteed fix!

They've said that the wear is as much of a non-issue (sealed chamber, will only wear so far, spring is intentionally harder than the shaft) as the noise...

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by valdeztkeCTSV View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I added a video to my previous blog posts concerning the rattle. www.dcautogeek.com

Hopefully for those that don't have the rattling yet you can hear what it is some of us are experiencing.

Katie please feel free to share this video and blog post with the folks at Cadillac thank you.
    valdeztkeCTSV: Thank you very much for sharing and pointing me in the direction of your blog and video. I have made a note of it on the list!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

If Cadillac would agree to install Lingenfelter's plastic isolator under the new vehicle warranty, I would purchase a new V. GM are you listening?

Does anybody know whether GM will fix the V's supercharger rattle for the MY 2013 cars?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

we don't think so since apparently they claim there's nothing to fix

you'll probably just have to wait and see
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by 352 View Post
    Does anybody know whether GM will fix the V's supercharger rattle for the MY 2013 cars?
    realistically, the V is entering it's final MY. If GM had enough feedback to warrant a fix, it would have happened by now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.