GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by HeavyH20 Well, I do have some spare parts. I will put a quick video together this weekend ...
    valdeztkeCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyH20
    Well, I do have some spare parts. I will put a quick video together this weekend to show the difference between the solid coupler in place versus the stock one. As for gear noise transmission to the cabin, I have yet to hear it on any one I installed. It was simply quieter, not an exchange for a new noise. I would not go back to the marble sound, that is for certain. Two hours and $65, no more issue.
    Rather than a video, how about a step-by-step of how to swap it out?

NickCat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sport Wagon 6MT Black Diamond Tricoat

Re: GM found a fix for the supercharger rattle!

Quote Originally Posted by valdeztkeCTSV View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I added a video to my previous blog posts concerning the rattle. www.dcautogeek.com

Hopefully for those that don't have the rattling yet you can hear what it is some of us are experiencing.

Katie please feel free to share this video and blog post with the folks at Cadillac thank you.
    Thank you... I definitely am not hearing that... that's miserable! At best I might be getting a single one of those when shutting the engine down.

THIS!

And just to offer my .02 to the "live with it" people...

I'm used to compromise with Japanese performance cars. Namely in the NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) department. So this sort of thing isn't something I'm unfamiliar with.

That all being said... there is a pretty distinct difference between expected rattles, squeaks, and noises coming from a car that's being pushed hard, and noises that are being generated by parts specifically being used to "reduce" potentially annoying noise output.

I believe GM acted with the best of intentions putting in the isolator they did, but under real world use it's obviously not working out as planned. If this were a Camaro... the noise might be acceptable... from the Caddy side of things it's not. The customer's buying this car are doing so because of Caddy's reputation. I bought the V because I wanted the complete package... power, luxury, and usable cargo space (wagon). A grown up refined muscle car is what I wanted, and it's what I felt I've purchased. You'd better believe if my car was making that noise bone stock at idle I'd be at the dealership every day until the did something about it. I'm sorry but shoulder shrugging service departments isn't going to make this one go away. If I modified the car to increase power, I'd have to accept that it could have been my fault, but with stock cars doing this, it's hard to argue the "it's normal" counterpoint.

I'm sorry, but an expert explaining it's ok, doesn't make it "ok."

HeavyH20 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Red 09 CTS-V, Silver 06 STS-V, White 08 SRX

Here is a video of how to swap it out.

Tyns is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Lingenfelter's instructions on their pulley and air intake kit include installing the solid coupler

http://www.lingenfelter.com/sites/li....5%20small.pdf

SoCal_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan - diamond white / graphite wheels

Awesome install instructions, thanks.

NickCat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sport Wagon 6MT Black Diamond Tricoat

So I'm starting to looking at just getting a solid isolator and throwing it in while I only have about 2500 miles on the car. Not worth waiting until it becomes a problem and the shaft is all torn up.

So that being said... What solid isolator are you guys using? Made by whom? I know it's not a complex part by any means, but I'd like to know I'm getting one from a company people trust.
    http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...Category_Code=

Captain McFunk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 DW CTS-V Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by NickCat View Post
    So I'm starting to looking at just getting a solid isolator and throwing it in while I only have about 2500 miles on the car. Not worth waiting until it becomes a problem and the shaft is all torn up.

So that being said... What solid isolator are you guys using? Made by whom? I know it's not a complex part by any means, but I'd like to know I'm getting one from a company people trust.
    http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...Category_Code=
    I got mine from lingenfelter. Cheap, and they're all the same.

352 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS, STS V

Quote Originally Posted by Captain McFunk View Post
    I got mine from lingenfelter. Cheap, and they're all the same.
    Just to check with everybody, do recent build MY 2012 CTS Vs still have the old style isolators? I really do not want to tear into this car's supercharger. This issue is making me have second thoughts about getting a new V.

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

Quote Originally Posted by 352 View Post
    Just to check with everybody, do recent build MY 2012 CTS Vs still have the old style isolators? I really do not want to tear into this car's supercharger. This issue is making me have second thoughts about getting a new V.
    Tell GM that.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by 352 View Post
    There has been no fix per Jessee.

rbanshee1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valdeztkeCTSV
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I added a video to my previous blog posts concerning the rattle. www.dcautogeek.com

Hopefully for those that don't have the rattling yet you can hear what it is some of us are experiencing.

Katie please feel free to share this video and blog post with the folks at Cadillac thank you.
    Same exact sound coming from my 09

xmaciek82x is offline Cadillac Owners Member

At this point I would be happy with getting a letter from GM "allowing" me to replace the isolator for solid one without every having any warranty issues in the future.

zx1216 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Way to go GM, i'm considering selling my 05 C6 for a V2 but it seems like they still haven't gotten their act together. Broke an axle on the 1-2 shift, car is bone stock, doesn't start all the time due to the stupid column lock, water pump just went out the other day at 53k miles. Maybe it's time to jump ship and look overseas...

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

Quote Originally Posted by zx1216 View Post
    Way to go GM, i'm considering selling my 05 C6 for a V2 but it seems like they still haven't gotten their act together. Broke an axle on the 1-2 shift, car is bone stock, doesn't start all the time due to the stupid column lock, water pump just went out the other day at 53k miles. Maybe it's time to jump ship and look overseas...
    Tell GM that.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

The grass is certinally more expensive overseas, but greener? Nope. I wouldn't say that at all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.