An interesting Vagon conversation...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, An interesting Vagon conversation... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; We are on a 10 day tour in our Vagon of Southern California and the coast, for our wedding anniversary. ...
    FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

An interesting Vagon conversation...

We are on a 10 day tour in our Vagon of Southern California and the coast, for our wedding anniversary. For our first stop, stayed in Palm Springs for two days, and while there, we went to an auto auction.

I've worked a number of auctions in the past, but this one had more stunning cars going across the block than I've ever seen anywhere. Lots of one-off's in every form. Ferraris, Lambos, 60's Corvettes, Hemi Mopars, suicide door Linclon's, Tri-5's, Rolls, Bentlys, and a 1960 Plymouth Pioneer that just knocked my socks off...

We walked and talked with gear heads that that were frankly, way out of our class. After three hours of seeing cars that were cool as hell, and watching them sell for prices that equaled several years of my salary, we wandered back to the Vagon.

Saw two guys standing next to it, as we got 100 feet away I couldn't resist and hit the remote start. Got to the car and one guy says, "Your car?" I open the door and he wants a look inside. He see's the Recaros in gray, the wood and suede, and says, "Nice piece. You know how rare this is?" I say yeah, less than 500 V-Wagons built. He says, "Hang onto it, take care of it, keep the miles off, and you'll get to retire well in 20 years when this piece is auctioned"...

Kinda made me feel guilty slinging it through the twisty California mountain roads the following day. Suspension on sport, nanny's off, working the paddle shifters for all their worth... Naaaaa, I bought it to drive it, not store it in a bubble.

Maybe I'll regret that decision 20 years from now.

Probably not though...
    DrVolkl and DrVolkl like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BigDog001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Black Diamond V Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTRI
    We are on a 10 day tour in our Vagon of Southern California and the coast, for our wedding anniversary. For our first stop, stayed in Palm Springs for two days, and while there, we went to an auto auction.

I've worked a number of auctions in the past, but this one had more stunning cars going across the block than I've ever seen anywhere. Lots of one-off's in every form. Ferraris, Lambos, 60's Corvettes, Hemi Mopars, suicide door Linclon's, Tri-5's, Rolls, Bentlys, and a 1960 Plymouth Pioneer that just knocked my socks off...

We walked and talked with gear heads that that were frankly, way out of our class. After three hours of seeing cars that were cool as hell, and watching them sell for prices that equaled several years of my salary, we wandered back to the Vagon.

Saw two guys standing next to it, as we got 100 feet away I couldn't resist and hit the remote start. Got to the car and one guy says, "Your car?" I open the door and he wants a look inside. He see's the Recaros in gray, the wood and suede, and says, "Nice piece. You know how rare this is?" I say yeah, less than 500 V-Wagons built. He says, "Hang onto it, take care of it, keep the miles off, and you'll get to retire well in 20 years when this piece is auctioned"...

Kinda made me feel guilty slinging it through the twisty California mountain roads the following day. Suspension on sport, nanny's off, working the paddle shifters for all their worth... Naaaaa, I bought it to drive it, not store it in a bubble.

Maybe I'll regret that decision 20 years from now.

Probably not though...
    I totally agree - we both seem to have bought the Vs to drive and enjoy!

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: An interesting Vagon conversation...

The great thing about cars is--- you can restore them. You can restore 20years on yourself.

Tuna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 Little Red V wagon (& 2 Vettes)

While rare, I didn't buy my Vagon to be a museum piece. It gets driven. It's not my #1 driver either but it gets driven and enjoyed as a driver.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Quote Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
    Exactly. And since I have to drive from one side of Vegas to the other every day, 60mi a day (have to fill the tank 2-3x a week, lol) my Vagon is, sadly, going to accumulate miles pretty quickly. But I didn't buy it to store it in a garage and take it out every Sunday for a brisk drive through the hills, just to have it sit in the garage for another week. What's the point of buying a car that drives as well as this one does, if you're not going to drive it? Screw that. Drive the hell out of it.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
    Exactly. And since I have to drive from one side of Vegas to the other every day, 60mi a day (have to fill the tank 2-3x a week, lol) my Vagon is, sadly, going to accumulate miles pretty quickly. But I didn't buy it to store it in a garage and take it out every Sunday for a brisk drive through the hills, just to have it sit in the garage for another week. What's the point of buying a car that drives as well as this one does, if you're not going to drive it? Screw that. Drive the hell out of it.
    only someone incrediably booring or with a fleet of cars should be doing anything except driving the damn things. If you want to invest your money there are a LOT better ways to do so. Hell, playing the lottery is probally just as good trying to hold onto it for 30 years and hope it's appreciated more than inflation has gone up by then. Like I said before, the great thing about cars is that you can drive the crap out of them-- and then bring it back to like-new condition. It's not uncommon for complete restoration vehicles to have their odometers rolled back to 0, because really when you're talking about 30,40,50 year old cars, mileage is irrelevent unless you're talking about super RARE complete barn-find orginal condition vehicles (and then what's the point? It hasen't been driven..). It's the condition of the car that's important. Some cars will not bring anything more than 20K whether they have 0 miles or 100K, and we're simply assuming the Vagon will an exception to one of those. Let me ask you this; what was the last 20-40year old station wagon that brought big money?

SRTVIPER03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Hey...if you get to the Huntington Beach area let me know...maybe we can meet up with our VWagons.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by SRTVIPER03
    Hey...if you get to the Huntington Beach area let me know...maybe we can meet up with our VWagons.
    Andy
    Dang, we were in Huntington Beach Tuesday, had lunch near Pier Zero @ Sandy's Grille, had a great ahi sandwich!

We are in Pismo Beach today...

SRTVIPER03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Sorry to have missed you.....In Pismo try the Cracked Crab, 751 Price St. Good food. Also if you're looking for a place to stay try the Cliffs in Shell Beach.
    Andy

PMac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Mmmm, I'd love to believe I'm driving around in the kids' college fund, but realistically, GM will build as many of these cars as the market wants. The only way that leads to appreciating values is if people don't realize the awesomeness of the Vagon until after they stop building them. I *do* hope they depreciate more slowly than a typical uber-sedan, but that's about as wild-eyed and optimistic as I can get, unless PBJ stains on the rear seats add value.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by SRTVIPER03 View Post
    Sorry to have missed you.....In Pismo try the Cracked Crab, 751 Price St. Good food. Also if you're looking for a place to stay try the Cliffs in Shell Beach.
    Andy
    ...and if you LOVE steak, Jocko's in Nipomo. Have a go at their 'special cut,' if you dare...

NAX-121 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V: 07 EXT: 05 EXT: 05 Ram SRT-10rc: 800hp NORDIC Boat

Hey you two sounds like your having a well deserved good time. The Cadillac Challenge was amazing, the people and the D3 team were the best....getting ready to have the car fitted with diff cooler, springs, sway bars, intake, tune....yea the wife is ready to track. So im with the rest of you....drive and enjoy the reason these cars wear a V badge. We will have to catch up when you two get back to Vegas. Stay safe..

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
    Sounds like a great trip, OP. Enjoy! I bought my car to be driven as well. 34k miles later, it's still exciting to turn on the ignition.

I think mine will be a keeper.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

An inVestment in seat time is never lost! Enjoy it!

Somewhere on the PCH.

Run hard, put up wet, and delivering giggles with frequent regularity...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.