Uh Oh - Pulley Noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Uh Oh - Pulley Noise in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Well I've had the car for....1 week and today I started to get some pulley and/or belt noise. I'm not ...
    valdeztkeCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Uh Oh - Pulley Noise

Well I've had the car for....1 week and today I started to get some pulley and/or belt noise. I'm not expert, but it sounds like its coming from the belt closest to the dash. Sorry for the lack of technical know-how in terms.

The car, if I remember from what the previous owner had to say, has a W4ME pulley, tune and headers all of which were installed by Lindsay Caddy (Not verified this w/ James yet).

Today, I got into it a bit coming into the freeway and since then its made the noise you hear in the video. The sound is in line with the RPMs and isn't driveline related.

According to the Carfax Steering/suspension were checked twice, but I haven't talked to the previous owner to verify if there was an issue with it.

Below is a video clip of the sound. I intend to take the car into Lindsay tomorrow hopefully, but wanted to get the group's initial thoughts. I don't want to drive it too far with the noise if it is something serious. Lindsay is 4 miles from me, so I hope that it will be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uyktlNMvls

I know a few people have had issues with the SC itself, but my sound isn't that "siren" sound nor is it coming from the SC. It sounds more like its coming from the water pump, steering pump or idler pulley. The belt closest to the grill is a gatorback if that means anything.

Again, everything was working perfectly until today, meaning the noise just started.

----------

Just noticed the video sound is very low. I'm getting a better video now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Re: Uh Oh - Pulley Noise

Well, no one here can diagnose it from the internet, and you'll just got all worked up for nothing. Let us know what it was.

I understand that it can't be diagnosed over the internet, but there is a chance that whatever it is, someone here may have experienced it before. Thank you for your helpful feedback.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Wow. Nope, can't say I've heard that before. Sorry. Can you take that belt off to see of that isolates it?

Me Wanna A V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

From the video, it almost sounds like you are low on power steering fluid and the pump is moaning about it.

nynd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 M5. SOLD:11 BD CTS-V, 6M, Loaded - SOLD:09 CTS-V (Auto)

I agree with the above - sounds like power steering whine (dry pump). Might want to check the fluids so you don't end up doing more damage to it.

Thanks for the feedback.

On the way to work this morning, I was driving along in a straight line at 35mph and the noise just stopped. I wasn't turning, accelerating or anything - just cruising along and it stopped.

Now all I can hear is the rattle can shake from the isolator spring. I have an appointment to take it into Lindsay on Thursday when Rob, the Vette tech, is back in.

Until then I'll be driving the wife's Fusion (ugh...).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrwWjuqMSMw Here is a video I shot real quick. Sorry its dark out. You can clearly hear the clunking around of the isolator which from what I read is "normal" according to GM.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

valdeztkeCTSV, I'm very sorry to hear this noise occurred so shortly after your purchase. I documented your concerns and am interested to hear your progress after your Thursday appointment. Please keep us in the loop!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Captain McFunk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 DW CTS-V Sedan

The first sound, i've never heard, the 2nd sound is ALL TOO FAMILIAR to me, my cts-v goes into the dealership to get the supercharger replaced on Thursday, after it's replaced, i'm going to swap out the bushing to prevent it from happening again.

Well this AM I got into the parking garage, babied it all the way to work (4.5miles). Heard a different sound as I was parking. Popped the hood - front belt had turned to spaghetti. Nothing left of it. Pulled all the pieces out and limped it down to Lindsay Cadillac to see why the belt may have jumped off and was eaten alive.

talked to previous owner and he had no problems with the belt.

Car does have a LPE 9.55 kit on it. We'll see if the tensioner is bad or one of the idler pulleys is gone. Could have been I romped on it while it was cold and just stretched the belt out.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    valdeztkeCTSV, I'm very sorry to hear this noise occurred so shortly after your purchase. I documented your concerns and am interested to hear your progress after your Thursday appointment. Please keep us in the loop!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service
    Katie - Appreciate the interest. I normally get pretty good service at Lindsay. Although I was shocked to learn they don't have a loaner program, but instead send you over to an Enterprise counter inside the store. Acura, BMW, even Lincoln has a loaner program. You come in with a $70,000 CTS-V and you leave in a base model Chevy Cruze.

Captain McFunk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 DW CTS-V Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by valdeztkeCTSV View Post
    Well this AM I got into the parking garage, babied it all the way to work (4.5miles). Heard a different sound as I was parking. Popped the hood - front belt had turned to spaghetti. Nothing left of it. Pulled all the pieces out and limped it down to Lindsay Cadillac to see why the belt may have jumped off and was eaten alive.

talked to previous owner and he had no problems with the belt.

Car does have a LPE 9.55 kit on it. We'll see if the tensioner is bad or one of the idler pulleys is gone. Could have been I romped on it while it was cold and just stretched the belt out.

----------

Katie - Appreciate the interest. I normally get pretty good service at Lindsay. Although I was shocked to learn they don't have a loaner program, but instead send you over to an Enterprise counter inside the store. Acura, BMW, even Lincoln has a loaner program. You come in with a $70,000 CTS-V and you leave in a base model Chevy Cruze.
    This is odd, I'm taking my car in tomorrow, and they're giving me a loaner CTS, brand new.....? Certified Cadillac dealership in Arkansas to boot too.

Quick Update:

Heard back from Lindsay. Looks like the culprit was an idler pulley. Here is what I was told:

One of the idler pulleys came loose and pulled out of the front engine bracket. We need to replace the pulley and rethread the bracket. We don’t have the pulley in stock but we can overnight it and have it here tomorrow, I already told parts to go ahead and order it. Total cost for the repair will be about $400.00.
    Pulley comes in tomorrow. Hopefully they'll have it all back together in time for me to plastidip it Saturday. Wheels, grill, trim - the whole kaboodle.

Rockey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I hope a new idler pulley takes care of your issue. FYI - I had my isolator bushing changed over to a solid and couldnt be happier. After reading about the loaner situation I really became more appreciative of my dealer here in Cincinnati. They have 5 SRX loaners and 10 CTS's.

Thanks for the info Rockey.

Lindsay uses Enterprise. If you take a "loaner" (meaning a rental car) and the work is NOT warrantied, you are charged for the use of the car. Just seems a bit odd, but I guess they make a few more $$$ from this strategy. I really haven't found a dealership I love. James and Luke at Lindsay are great, but the business could be better. When I pulled up in the service bay there were no cars, 5 service advisors sitting at their desks talking to each other eating cookies while I stood there for 10 mins right in front of them all. This is what happens when you wear workout clothes and are under 30. Maybe they thought I was there to apply for a job? haha

I'm going to hunt around for another dealer after this. Nothing personal, but just think after years of going to Lindsay I'm realizing it isn't any different than any other shop. People in, people out. Dollars in, dollars out.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rockey View Post
    I hope a new idler pulley takes care of your issue. FYI - I had my isolator bushing changed over to a solid and couldnt be happier. After reading about the loaner situation I really became more appreciative of my dealer here in Cincinnati. They have 5 SRX loaners and 10 CTS's.
    Who did you have install your solid bushing?

Rockey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Jesse @ wait4me swapped the bushing to a solid while doing an upper pulley, cai, ported snout, and tune. I will definitely send my car back to him when its time for an upgrade. I am proud to say that although there are many faster V's out there, my car now scares children, the elderly, and Ellen Degeneres fans.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.