Uh Oh - Pulley Noise - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Uh Oh - Pulley Noise in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; [QUOTE=valdeztkeCTSV;2881313]Well this AM I got into the parking garage, babied it all the way to work (4.5miles). Heard a different ...
    baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Re: Uh Oh - Pulley Noise

[QUOTE=valdeztkeCTSV;2881313]Well this AM I got into the parking garage, babied it all the way to work (4.5miles). Heard a different sound as I was parking. Popped the hood - front belt had turned to spaghetti. Nothing left of it. Pulled all the pieces out and limped it down to Lindsay Cadillac to see why the belt may have jumped off and was eaten alive.

talked to previous owner and he had no problems with the belt.

Car does have a LPE 9.55 kit on it. We'll see if the tensioner is bad or one of the idler pulleys is gone.

I added one of their 50MM idler pulleys, and it disintegrated during normal driving in a week. My belt only came off, and was still good. I went with a Metco instead.

valdeztkeCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Wow this really has been a challenge. So it looks like Metco makes THE pulley to get with this setup - a 50mm superman-type pulley http://www.metcomotorsports.com/prod...prod=MIPDBR-50

The problem - they are racing in Florida till next Thursday and all of their distributors - Hennessy, FastLaneTurbo, Lyons Performance don't stock the idler pulley. Looks like I won't have the caddy back on the road till late next week.

The pulley that failed was actually made by WaitForMe, not by LPE. When I called LPE they said they didn't sell idler pulleys, but would sell me a 9.55 crank pulley that required an idler pulley. Uhhh Ohok?

Talked to D3 who had a 50mm pulley but it was a part of their kit and they couldn't sell me an idler pulley but would be happy to sell me a kit. OK. D3, you get no love from me - ever.

Finally was able to track down a pulley. Clifford Paschal or Paschal Performance was amazing to deal with. The only person in the country with a 50mm idler pulley in stock from Metco. This is the only pulley capable of handling the speed which it'll spin on the car for a long period of time. To anyone else out there running a WaitForMe or LPE idler pulley - keep an eye on it and when it goes bad. Call up Clifford.

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

Glad you got it worked out.

I had my idler pulley replaced. Just a word of caution for those running the 9.5 or bigger crank pulley - that smaller idler pulley can go! As you can see from the photo.

The culprit - Lower idler pulley. Damaged:

Here is the new pulley:

Description from the site:
    We offer this replacement idler pulley in a reduced diameter (2.00") to provide the necessary clearance for overdrive crank pulley rings. This idler pulley installs as a direct replacement for the factory idler located at the 10 o'clock position relative to the crank pulley. Our pulley even uses the original pulley bolt for installation. Like all Metco idler pulleys, this pulley is precision-machined from billet aluminum and hard-coat anodized on the backside and the belt surface for extreme wear resistance. The pulley is fitted with dual bearings to provide unmatched stability and durability. A precision-machined billet sleeve is included to provide the perfect fit over the factory pulley mount. This replacement idler pulley is necessary in CTS-V applications using our larger 9.1" (MCR0006V) and 9.55" (MCR0008V) crank pulley rings.
    Link to the pulley: http://www.paschalperformance.com/st...e4833c56d8ba7c

Car is up and running meaner than ever!

I also can't forget to mention James Pollack from Lindsay Cadillac. As always he was stellar to deal with.

Bottom line - Might not be a bad idea to have a spare idler pulley.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.