So i bought an automatic
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, So i bought an automatic in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So I bought the automatic v and now I kind of feel I should have bought the manual. Let me ...
    Jdani is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 cts- v

So i bought an automatic

So I bought the automatic v and now I kind of feel I should have bought the manual. Let me explain, when in first purchased my cts v it was to replace my BMW 535 as a daily driver so I bought the automatic, so what happened is I loved the car too much and didn't want to ruin it by driving everyday so I bought an suv for my daily driver. So now this is my toy, I don't mind that it's a sedan because I love the look and I never liked 2 doors but I'm seriously second guessing the automatic to the point I was thinking of trading it in fit the stick but that seems crazy because I would lose so much money and I only have 2000 miles. So please if you can give me some real good reasons why I should keep automatic because i don't want to lose about 10 or 15 grand thats what I feel I'll lose if I trade in. The car is a 2012 purchased in December.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ste_V_e is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: So i bought an automatic

Been there done that and in the end I guess I was happier. If you're not 100 percent set on the car it will eat at you until something changes.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

The longer you wait, the more you will lose. If you are not happy, trade it off now.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Why do you want to trade it exactly? I missed the reason. The grass ISN'T always greener you know....... $12K on a feeling????? I love my auto, and don't mind NOT shifting a bit!

V locity is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan A6, 730 RWHP Stock airbox & stock exst

I love my A6 & have always raced autos... What is it that is irritating you? I'm torn between talking you off the ledge or asking to be first in line for 15K off of a 2012.

SRTVIPER03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    your problem isn't the automatic.....it was your decision not to drive the car you bought as a daily driver and to buy an suv instead.......I use my VWagon with the A6 as my daily driver. When I want some fun shifting I drive my Viper or Challenger with manuals......

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Automatic Vs have no soul. get a manual and enjoy it.

wut?

DrVolkl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Wagon

For $12k, you may want to look into just how much it would cost to make your auto a manual... gonna be close.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I don't know, man. Maybe spend some of that cash on serious mods, bump the RWHP up by 150 or so, and stand on it a few times. That may cure your woes!
    js615 and js615 like this.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Thumbs up Re: So i bought an automatic

it's a 2012? You should have the updated tap shift algorithm that the ZL1 has, there are more than a few people (myself included) trying to figure how to retrofit the software update. If you actually take it to the drag strip, you'll also be rewarded with shaving a couple tenths off your ET.

In all seriousness, I have an A6 as my 'toy' as well and I too am trying to hint at the significant other that we should try to order up another one with the tremec. We're in a bit better situation in that we leased though the car has 9,000 miles on it right now.

When it comes down to it the auto is a smarter choice as a daily driver, hands down. When you take that away though and make it your 'weekend car' and you actually want to enjoy it, the A6 will let you down, it will hesitate and you will be disappointed-- this comes from someone that's done everything from take it to the grocery store to take it down to VMP for autocross. If you plan on owning this car for more than 2-3 years, I would suggest taking a loss before you put more miles on it.

To add to Jim's point-- I don't know what it is, but slush boxes instill a sedate driving behavior that just isn't present in a manual, and perceived slower 0-60 time is burried under your left foot hitting that clutch pedal and having the sensations of rowing your own gears.

The problem though is, Is that sensation worth 10K or more? For me-- so far, it hasn't been, an A6 V2 is still a very very good car. I might have to ring up the dealership and ask what the number is to do this though, while it's not worth 10 grand, it might be worth say, 5-6, plus, I have a burning desire for an opulent blue with satin graphite rims and yellow calipers *AND* I can order one with a sunroof delete so that I can actually wear a helmet and have more than 1/16th an inch from the roofline.

For $12k, you may want to look into just how much it would cost to make your auto a manual... gonna be close.
    I think someone's tried this. You need a complete PCM harness to do the swap. iirc the only way the person had the car running was to plug-in the old A6's computer that's embedded into the trans.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

Kluch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 V

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    it's a 2012? You should have the updated tap shift algorithm that the ZL1 has, there are more than a few people (myself included) trying to figure how to retrofit the software update. If you actually take it to the drag strip, you'll also be rewarded with shaving a couple tenths
    THIS!!!!! You have the best of BOTH worlds! I want the updated algorithm. Consider yourself lucky. Keep your car.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

I'll still argue that the manual is a great DD car. There is so much low end torque and the shifter is smooth. And you also have a hill holder. I'd have no problems, no matter the traffic...
    JFJr and JFJr like this.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I'll still argue that the manual is a great DD car. There is so much low end torque and the shifter is smooth. And you also have a hill holder. I'd have no problems, no matter the traffic...
    The V has hill-hold? O wow.. glad you mentioned something. More or less though, my argument is that the automatic is a good DD because it's a sedate driver-- good for keeping out of trouble, it has remote start and in the mornings(If I were to drive my V to work like I did the S4) I just don't want to row gears :/

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I don't know what it is, but slush boxes instill a sedate driving behavior that just isn't present in a manual, and perceived slower 0-60 time is burried under your left foot hitting that clutch pedal and having the sensations of rowing your own gears.
    otoh, an auto might get me in more trouble than a manual. there have been plenty of times I was tempted to put my foot in it, but didn't feel like downshifting.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

Quote Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
    THIS!!!!! You have the best of BOTH worlds! I want the updated algorithm. Consider yourself lucky. Keep your car.
    At the same time, if you want a manual you want a manual. It's a preference thing, not really a performance thing. For me, I don't care how well the auto performs, I don't want one. Autos make me a lazier driver, they disengage me from the driving experience. I don't like that. To Jdani, it's a tough call. You do lose a lot of money by selling such a relatively new car, and an auto isn't the end of the world. But if you want a manual, you probably aren't ever going to be happy with the auto.
    JFJr and JFJr like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.