Touch-up paint recommendations?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Touch-up paint recommendations? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I have a 2009 Thunder gray V with a couple of small paint chips and was hoping to find a ...
    -CTS-V- is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): -

Touch-up paint recommendations?

I have a 2009 Thunder gray V with a couple of small paint chips and was hoping to find a way to touch those areas up. I have to imagine with such a thin coat of paint on the car other must have had similar issues (although no luck searching the forum). I was curious what options I would have to fix this issue. Is there anywhere I can buy a small amount of the factory color paint? Would it be wiser just to take it to a paint shop and have them do it? The marks are really small but it is something that I constantly notice and would love to fix.

----------

More research leaded to some helpful results.... http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-up-paint.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Re: Touch-up paint recommendations?

If you get the touch up bottles, and do it right, it will look just great.

commander112 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan White/Recaro/Manual/Polished

There is an art to doing touch up just right. With a tricoat process you need to do the following: First go get the factory touch up. You will get two bottles instead of three. First apply just a small dab of color to fill the chip. This will dry so it is lower than the factory paint and should be allowed to dry for a number of hours. Next apply the clear, which in the case of the tricoat actually has a tint to it. It is both clear and a tint to match the color of the car. If you apply too little it will be too light and too much makes the shade a bit dark. This coat needs to actually rise and dry so it sticks out above the factory finish. If your blob is a bit light after the first attempt at putting it on simply add another layer until the color is right each time allowing it to dry. Take your time! Let this coat dry overnight. Next you will wet sand the area with a small sanding block (I use a small one inch square piece of soft wood) and 2000 or 3000 grit until the repair is sanded down to the factory finish. You must be careful not to sand off too much of the factory clear around the repair and be careful not to press too hard on the bubble of the repaired area. Let the abrasive on the paper do the work. Last step is to take some polishing compound and a finishing wheel to the area to bring back the shine. If done properly you will need to really look for the repair. It does take some practice and you may want to perfect your techique on another vehicle or in a hidden area before attempting on a real panel. You only get one shot at doing the repair.

GreaseMonkey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS 3.6L Black Ice/Ebony

I've heard good things about Dr. Color Chip. I'm waiting until spring to order some for my car and the wife's Tahoe.

http://drcolorchip.com/

BWhite58 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V Coupe 6M

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
    I've heard good things about Dr. Color Chip. http://drcolorchip.com/
    Oh that's what it does . I thought it was about cleavage .

-CTS-V- is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): -

Thanks for the application tips. I ordered the color-match .5 oz paint pen and .5 oz clear coat which should be more than enough for my tiny chips. I will take some before and after pictures once I get a chance to work on the car.

Jpjr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Used Langka in the past, giving Dr. Paint Chip a try based on the vid on their website. My black V has tons of front rash... in hindsight I should have used clear bra on the entire front end.

commander112 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan White/Recaro/Manual/Polished

I have used Langka with poor results in the past. Better to wet sand and polish.

Harrisburg Hat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V

[QUOTE=-CTS-V-;2864750]I have a 2009 Thunder gray V with a couple of small paint chips and was hoping to find a way to touch those areas up. [COLOR="Silver"]

Your best, and easiest, bet is "AutomotiveTouchup". They offer a set of touch-up pens in Factory Colors and are simple to use. The set of primer, Factory tint and clear coat pens totals less that $30 (including shipping). Works great and covers well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.