2011 V Coupe Transmission grinding into third - 3k miles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 2011 V Coupe Transmission grinding into third - 3k miles in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So while driving, I found that every 7th or 8th trip behind the wheel, when trying to put the car ...
    RafCon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

2011 V Coupe Transmission grinding into third - 3k miles

So while driving, I found that every 7th or 8th trip behind the wheel, when trying to put the car into third, it would grind going into the gear no matter what I tried. I left the clutch depressed to test it and going back and forth into third would grind the gear each and every time. it would happen the entire trip until I restarted the car.

I took it to my dealership and the mechanic spent a week with the car, on the phone with GM who instructed him to remove the transmission and dig deeper to find the problem. I know they were skeptical but at least they were giving me the benefit of the doubt and GM was taking it seriously. The service manager called a few days ago to say they found some clip inside was broken and was probably getting lodged somewhere and creating the problem I was experiencing. They are ordering new parts and said luckily for them, it doesn't look like they will have to replace anything too expensive. I don't have the car back yet but will report back with the official final analysis once I have it.

On a side note, I too started to have the wheel clicking (specifically while turning right) and they said there is a bulletin out there to wipe down the rotors every time the vehicle comes in for service since they don't have any other fix for that noise at this time. I thought the bulletins said something else based on what I've read here. Anyone else hear of this temporary workaround while GM comes up with a fix?

Just thought I'd share the reason my car went to the shop for the first time after 3400 miles. It's been about two weeks but at least I have a CTS sedan as a loaner...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 2011 V Coupe Transmission grinding into third - 3k miles

Keep us updated when you get your car back!
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

It stops upon restarting the car? That's weird. My 3rd gear is balky when cold so I just double shift until warm...

Will do Breanne. No word yet. Still waiting.

No, it wasn't stopping or stalling. It was grinding going into third each and every time, even with the clutch down the entire time. I've been driving a manual for 28 years and I even started to second guess myself but no matter what I tried, the gear would grind into third.

I'm skeptical about the "wiping down the rotors" workaround but hopefully the transmission will be fixed. Can't wait to get my coupe back.

Ste_V_e is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Is the cts-v manual trans the same as the one in the 2011-2012 Gt500? B/c if so I had this problem on my GT500 sorta.

I think it is. It's a Tremec T6060.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)

You might have a linkage problem, but constant grinding in 3rd is not good. You might need a new transmission.

Jud
    Jud

enmac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts v sport wagon

Wink Re: 2011 V Coupe Transmission grinding into third - 3k miles

re wheel clicking I have had the wheel clicking problem on my 2011 cts v sport wagon. had it into the dealer three times. they told me the problem is the interface between the wheels and the brake rotor surface. they cleaned the surfaces and the problem was back a day later. they advised me GM is working on the problem,but there is no solution yet! took it into my local tire dealer, they tightened the lug nuts to 158 ft/pounds.....bingo, problem gone....been several weeks now, still no clicking. happy camper now.

Umm, hooray?

30+ days and they still have my car. They said I should get it back this week. Looks like it was related to the synchronizers. I don't have the details just yet but will write here whatever they write on my work order when I get it back. This is seriously much longer than I could ever have imagined...

mannyz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS(Sold) Black 09 V

If it makes you feel any better....my car has been in a dealer since 13 December.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

I'm so sorry to hear that, RafCon. Please do keep us in the loop, and I would be more than happy to assist if you have further questions or follow-up concerns. Send me a private message anytime!

Mannyz, what has been happening with your Cadillac? Private message me if you would like me to follow-up with the dealership for you.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.