anyone have their hood pop open at 120+ MPH?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, anyone have their hood pop open at 120+ MPH? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Mine did today, the uncle has a private 1mile road to his house, it's good for 'fun runs'. I didn't ...
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

anyone have their hood pop open at 120+ MPH?

Mine did today, the uncle has a private 1mile road to his house, it's good for 'fun runs'. I didn't look down at the speedo when it happened, mostly because I was too busy shitting my pants and remembering what hoods flying open onto the windshield can do to a car.. I estimate I was doing 120 or so. No wind, aprox 35-38 degrees weather.

Hood closes fine, does not require excessive or inadequate pressure to close(at least IMO), latch might have some play that I can see but it might be normal. the latch on the hood is not deformed and aside from paint removal from opening and closing the hood a lot.. nothing out of the ordinary.

The only other thing I can remember is that one semi-windy day nearing this speed I could visually see the hood start to 'wave' and buckle before I started to back down.

I'm setting an appointment tomorrow, but the latch is cable operated, so I've no idea what they could do here except replace a latch that looks like it's working. The latch on the hood is non-serviceable, so that combined with the 'waving' I'm thinking it's a inferior aluminum batch hood..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Re: anyone have their hood pop open at 120+ MPH?

Wow. Keep us posted. I can't remember this happening to anyone else either!

Quote Originally Posted by baabootoo View Post
    Wow. Keep us posted. I can't remember this happening to anyone else either!
    Definitively will, I'm a little annoyed right now, this is a serious safety concern for obvious reasons and I wasn't even close to the top speed of the car.
    My first thought was that the airaid had poped off and impacted the hood forcing it open, but it's secure and doesn't show that it's budged even slightly.

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

Is the dealer going to replicate the issue? That is going to be some test drive.

Seriously, were you at 120 for a while or did you do a 0-120 and then hood popped open? Several on here are trapping over 120.

Quote Originally Posted by smackdownCTSV View Post
    Is the dealer going to replicate the issue? That is going to be some test drive.

Seriously, were you at 120 for a while or did you do a 0-120 and then hood popped open? Several on here are trapping over 120.
    I've no idea what they can or will do honestly, and the scary part is any fix is just going to be a 'guess' and what happens if the latch actually fails completely next time?
    Right now, I don't feel safe driving the car fast at all.

I had been accelerating for aprox 15(that's really just a guess) seconds when it popped, but nothing for an extended period of time, so it was just a 0-120. I've trapped 119-120 several times as well, and that same night I know for a fact I had been doing 100 just fine getting up to his house.

I may have been going closer to 130 or so, I just don't remember, all I know is I wasn't anywhere close to the top-end and I hadn't been accelerating for very long.

V locity is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan A6, 730 RWHP Stock airbox & stock exst

You are very blessed right now my child! That is a very serious issue! I had that happen to me on a '77 Z28 @ 70mph & it smacked back into the windshield & top after the hinges basically snapped back. Freaked me out. I could not imagine that happening at 120. Is it the factory hood?

Quote Originally Posted by pollackk View Post
    You are very blessed right now my child! That is a very serious issue! I had that happen to me on a '77 Z28 @ 70mph & it smacked back into the windshield & top after the hinges basically snapped back. Freaked me out. I could not imagine that happening at 120. Is it the factory hood?
    That's exactly my fear right now, I'm glad you made it out Okay btw.

This is a completely stock automatic car except for an airaid intake.

Cabretti is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

Wow. I am glad you're ok.

Don't hate me for playing devils advocate here, but are you sure the hood was closed to begin with?

That's the first thing that the dealer is going to ask you.

(Im a new member here. Don't take this the wrong way)

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    That's exactly my fear right now, I'm glad you made it out Okay btw.

This is a completely stock automatic car except for an airaid intake.
    I can't believe the hinges held at that speed, that is incredible! Did the hood bend at all? If your car is basically stock, then I assume no one has fooled with the hood or it's alignment?

I had just replaced the Motor in my Z & I believe when I put the hood back on, I had not yet done the final alignment & hence my issue. That was the excuse to go for the fiberglass hood though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabretti View Post
    Wow. I am glad you're ok.

Don't hate me for playing devils advocate here, but are you sure the hood was closed to begin with?

That's the first thing that the dealer is going to ask you.

(Im a new member here. Don't take this the wrong way)
    no hate here,
    It was absolutely closed. I could visually see the difference, heard it pop and when it popped I instantly got the warning message in the DIC. There's a sensor on the latch that can detect when it's open and thus gives you a warning message when it does. I only received the message as it popped.

Welcome btw!

I can't believe the hinges held at that speed, that is incredible! Did the hood bend at all? If your car is basically stock, then I assume no one has fooled with the hood or it's alignment?
    Hood is fine as far as I can see, the front fascia has been off once--and put back on exactly as it came off, but the hood has never been off, adjusted, or touched.

The hood didn't fling open, the latch came undone, but it was still being held down by the latch somewhat. When you pop the hood from inside the car and it comes open an inch before you open it fully-- that's what happened. If it had somehow managed to come out from that position I have no doubt I'd be in a hospital or the car would be undriveable right now.

Did the hood fly all the way open or did the safety latch catch it in time for you to slow her down?

Cabretti is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    It was absolutely closed. I could visually see the difference, heard it pop and when it popped I instantly got the warning message in the DIC. There's a sensor on the latch that can detect when it's open and thus gives you a warning message when it does. I only received the message as it popped.

Hood is fine as far as I can see, the front fascia has been off once, but the hood has never been off.

Thanks M5. I didn't mean to be Captain Obvious but it's a fair question. On a side note. Did you ever hook up the TB gound wire?

I am anxious for your results.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabretti View Post
    Thanks M5. I didn't mean to be Captain Obvious but it's a fair question. On a side note. Did you ever hook up the TB gound wire?

I am anxious for your results.
    funny you ask, since I was doing my initial testing when it popped open. Too bad I didn't have the go-pro running.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by pollackk View Post
    Did the hood fly all the way open or did the safety latch catch it in time for you to slow her down?
    I edited my post previously, but just to reinforce-- this is what happened.

Regardless, you are a lucky soul... Thank god for the safety latch! Had the hood got past that baby at 120, you would definitely be cleaning more than your seat.

Maybe somthing to do with the primary latch or the cable? I've haven't had the front of the car off on mine yet. Is the primary latch or cable in the area where the front facia is?

Ste_V_e is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Do you have a coupe, sedan, or wagon?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.