anyone have their hood pop open at 120+ MPH? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, anyone have their hood pop open at 120+ MPH? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Cannot duplicate. Can't find anything wrong. We found 1 loose clip on the diffuser, but otherwise compared to the Vagon ...
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: anyone have their hood pop open at 120+ MPH?

Cannot duplicate.

Can't find anything wrong. We found 1 loose clip on the diffuser, but otherwise compared to the Vagon that was there everything is as tight and in place as it should be.

''When you go hot rodding again-- make sure it's closed and if it happens again (and you don't total the car..) come back to us''

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

Boy I bet you feel ultra confident now!

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahgkb...e_gdata_player

My Stsv with a louvered hood and no under tray at all. The only thing I was worried abought opening was the sun roof hear the wind noise coming from it. The hood was moving a little but not to bad. The sun roof was pulling up and I could feel air coming in around it. That can't be good.

Hope the can figure it out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
    Boy I bet you feel ultra confident now!
    I may go back and ask them to replace the hood latch at the very least, or I may not worry about it, if I start doubting myself there's no going back from that and I'll never be able to enjoy the car again.

it's only an aluminum hood right? Can't do but so much...

What I will do, is carry the go-pro with me next time.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Btw I think it's Fiberglas our some kind of composite. It is on the stsv and it's dam heavy. You could put hood pins on it that will keep it closed. And people will think its way faster then it is it's a win win. Just a tought.

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 1madstsv View Post
    Btw I think it's Fiberglas our some kind of composite. It is on the stsv and it's dam heavy. You could put hood pins on it that will keep it closed. And people will think its way faster then it is it's a win win. Just a tought.
    Ran across some interesting info on the web you both might be interested in reading/researching:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-european.html
    M5eater and M5eater like this.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

Unbelieveable.

I'm going to ask them to replace the hood latch at the least.

Thanks Giz.

Btw I think it's Fiberglas our some kind of composite
    it's definitally aluminum, no doubt about it.
    http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/cadi...ts-v/2012.html
    Quote Originally Posted by General Motors
    A unique grille that doubles front-end airflow to help enable its high-performance capabilities is one of the V-Series’ distinguishing features, along with an aggressive front fascia and raised center section of the aluminum hood that provides clearance for the supercharger.

hulksdaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): <-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(

Nothing is more maddening than when something goes wrong with tech that is as old as cars. Should NEVER have to worry about a hood flying open.

Hope all is resolved for ya bud. Me, have to book my car in again for the seat creak. It's the rear of the left track. Gave it a big tug after a cruise, and it made the sound. Shouldn't make any sound, much less with that small amount of pressure.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

all CTS-Vs have aluminum hoods...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by lilred View Post
    I've been up to 150+ and no hood popping. No hood lifting. No drama at all actually.
    I was hitting 150+ all day at VIR when the undertray came loose and caused the turbulence. After reconnecting it all back up, it went on doing 150+ without issue...

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    Wow, u seem to be having a bad luck streak

so, maybe it's because it's a new latch, but I've noticed two things;
    1) there's 0 play in the handle release(there was a good 1/8-1/4" play before)
    2) it requires more force to close

either way, it makes me feel safer.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by M5eater
    either way, it makes me feel safer.
    That's what matters the most. Glad its taken care of.....now when are u going to do another 120+ run to test it?

69mets is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac CTS-V, MN6, Driven Daily

Darn, this just happened to me on my one week old car. I was only doing 50 MPH and I knew what it was immediately since I had been following this thread. I noticed it takes a lot of force to close the hood and I've had the hood opened and closed many times since I've been using the battery tender. The HOOD OPEN message did not come up on the display. Now I notice that opening any of the doors will not set off a message, just the trunk which reads REAR ACCESS OPEN which is suppose to be the message for a Wagon.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I've got a blown fuse that prevents the DOOR OPEN message. I have been doing a bit of electrical work, hard wiring radar detector and changing out interior lights. No problems with those items, everything works. I checked all the body control module fuses plus a bunch others and everything is good. Does anyone know the fuse for the door ajar detection?

Quote Originally Posted by 69mets View Post
    Darn, this just happened to me on my one week old car. I was only doing 50 MPH and I knew what it was immediately since I had been following this thread. I noticed it takes a lot of force to close the hood and I've had the hood opened and closed many times since I've been using the battery tender. The HOOD OPEN message did not come up on the display. Now I notice that opening any of the doors will not set off a message, just the trunk which reads REAR ACCESS OPEN which is suppose to be the message for a Wagon.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I've got a blown fuse that prevents the DOOR OPEN message. I have been doing a bit of electrical work, hard wiring radar detector and changing out interior lights. No problems with those items, everything works. I checked all the body control module fuses plus a bunch others and everything is good. Does anyone know the fuse for the door ajar detection?
    you might want to start your own thread about that, you'll probally get a better answer or at least more looks.

69mets is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac CTS-V, MN6, Driven Daily

Quote Originally Posted by 69mets View Post

So i figured out that just opening the door with the engine running will not set off a warning. Since it's a manual the doors have to be auto locked by getting up the speed a little. The HOOD OPEN message still will not be set when the latch is released while the car is in motion. Plus, the hood shouldn't pop open anyway, I thought I would chalking it up to not closing hard enough. I guess this issue will be the first visit to the dealer.

BTW, after one week of ownership all I can say is WOW! This is a fantastic car!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.