2012 CTS-V Coupe Skip Shift Eliminator - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 2012 CTS-V Coupe Skip Shift Eliminator in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Stephen P. Facts are best referenced; 2011 Cadillac CTS/CTS-V Owner Manual (Page 294 of 492) 9-32 Driving ...
    DrVolkl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Wagon

Re: 2012 CTS-V Coupe Skip Shift Eliminator

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen P. View Post
    Facts are best referenced;
    2011 Cadillac CTS/CTS-V Owner Manual (Page 294 of 492)
    9-32 Driving and Operating Shift Speeds (Manual Transmission) Skip Shift (CTS‐V)

Under light acceleration, the transmission will only allow you to shift from 1 (First) to 4 (Fourth).
    Shifts from 1 (First) to 2 (Second) or3 (Third) are not allowed. This helps
    improve fuel mileage.

No one is saying it isn't there... we know that... it just never does it. I've only had it happen once.. and it surprised me. You really have to try and drive slow... I'm not even sure I could replicate it. lol

Thrill6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Sedan, 07 Corvette Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen P. View Post
    Excellent information. I want it badly. From where do I obtain this Eliminator device. Can I get the one on the Corvette gadget store, or is there a Cadi-specific resource?
    Thank you.
    No need for a Cadi specific version. You pull the connector from the transmission, and the kit includes a sealed connector that you put on the transmission (to keep the water out, and keep the terminals from tarnishing just in case you want to put it back) and a another connector that you put on the wire you just disconnected. It also keeps the water out, but more importantly, it includes a resistor which fools the ECM into thinking the skip-shift selenoid is still connected so you don't get any codes. Most kits cost around $20.

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

I located a Corvette CAGS relay on the Corvette Forum. May I assume that this would be a Plug-n-Play install?
    Is this as easily accessed on my V Coupe as it is on my Corvette?
    1997-2011 Corvette CAGS Skip Shift Bypass, 6-Speed Manual Transmission Instructions: http://content.mamotorworks.com/pdf/603703.pdf

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette?frame=7.101
    Corvette CAGS Manual Transmission Skip Shift Bypass
    Now Your C5 & C6 Can Be Shifted Normally

​If you have disconnected the Computer Aided Gear Selection (CAGS) system, our Performance Choice C5 & C6 Corvette 6-Speed Corvette Skip Shift Bypass will protect the open ends of the harness and prevent throwing trouble codes. These custom-designed harness plugs not only avoid dirt/corrosion problems associated with an open-ended harness, but also allow you to easily reconnect it, if necessary, with no modifications. Installation instructions included.
    Our CAGS 6-Speed Skip Shift Bypass simply plugs in at your Corvette’s transmission. It properly and effectively eliminating the CAGS feature allowing you to shift to any gear at any time. By simulating normal operation of the CAGS system our Skip Shift Bypass Plug eliminates the normal check engine light associated with disconnecting your CAGS harness.

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

I am a frustrated unhappy camper:

Part Description Availability Quantity Price Total
    603-703 Corvette 6-Speed CAGS Skip Shift Bypass Temporary
    Shortage
    1 $17.99 $17.99
    I will report the results of the installation upon arrival.

zinner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V / 2010 SRX 2.8T

Here are the CAGS settings from a 2011 CTS-V Sedan. I have been trying to make it kick in but it's a challenge. You have a 3 MPH window and you have to be feathering the throttle.
    Attached Images

Zhariak is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade ESV Platinum, 2013 CTS-V Coupe 6MT

I'm just curious....

I learned how to drive standard on my new 12 V-Coupe... At first I couldn't for the life of me get it to engage... One day I was waiting to turn in an intersection, went to shift and BAM I got stuck going in to 4th...

Now that I've been driving, I can actually get skip-shift to happen on demand whenever I want (usually light accel, and it happens when trying to shift between 25km/h and 32km/h)...

My question is, am I supposed to get a light, or something to tell me it's supposed to engage? I don't have a light, nor chime, and nothing shows up on my display... Sometimes it shoots the shifter in to 4th, other times if I'm lighter on the accel, I simply "guide" it in to 4th...

I don't mind it, just wouldn't mind a warning for those times where I'm not aware I'm going to engage it...

cadillaxe is offline Author "Bouncing off Guardrails"
    Automobile(s): '13ctsvcp,'10bmwS1KRR,'13YCCchopper

granted, i have less than 150 miles on the clock, but i haven't seen it come on yet. nonetheless, to prevent an inopportune time for it to rear its head, already ordered the bypass kit.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillaxe
    granted, i have less than 150 miles on the clock, but i haven't seen it come on yet. nonetheless, to prevent an inopportune time for it to rear its head, already ordered the bypass kit.
    Save your money, all you have to do is stay in 1st a little longer, but it's your money. You should be able to deal with it; it's not intrusive.
    Jud

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

I agree with Jud. On this car the skip shift eliminator is a waste of money. In 4500 miles with my wagon, I have activated it twice. Both times were within a minute of each other, on a snowy road with someone driving in front of me too slowly with their all-season tires on. Cadillac wisely made this feature difficult to activate on this car. Don't worry about it!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Yep, as someone who couldn't get a CAGS eliminator on my '04 V fast enough, its a waste of time and money on this car...

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

It's not a waste of money, it's a frustration vanquished and a desire satisfied. Owners of luxury vehicles should understand.

$17.99 is dirt-cheap satisfaction.

Xaqtly is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"

I think he meant that because it's so non-intrusive, it's not a frustration. I can't even get it to activate when I TRY to do it. It's not anything at all like it was on the V1, or on the Corvettes. In 25k miles I've only had it activate a handful of times, maybe 5 or 6. I agree with the guys above, don't worry about it.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Nothing a little more juice can't fix! Romp it!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    It's not a waste of money, it's a frustration vanquished and a desire satisfied. Owners of luxury vehicles should understand.

$17.99 is dirt-cheap satisfaction.
    46k miles. It's been activated twice. And guess what? Going into 4th was what was needed since I was going so slowly and 551lb/ft of torque was more than enough.

Waste of time and money in this car...

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Yes, please repeat yourself endlessly about how it doesn't come up for you, and all you have to do is behave a little differently. While you're at it why not throw in an insult about how if skipshift ever happens to you you're driving it wrong and maybe you bought the wrong car.

The OP and two other people in this thread were frustrated and wanted the "feature" eliminated. It's not a waste of their money if it addresses the issue in a way that satisfies them more than folksy advice. It's a one-time $20 part for a $70,000 luxury car, and the part does actually do something. Perspective: find it. It ain't like gas treatment or the recommended additional service package the dealer flips to in his binder on every visit. Gotta check the torque on those valve stem caps

I never needed one on my C6, and I won't buy one for my V, but I acknowledge that sometimes spending money to make your luxury object the way you want it is immeasurably satisfying. Sometimes when other people call it a waste of money it's even more satisfying.

So, cadillaxe, enjoy your skip-shift eliminator, even if it never actually eliminates a skip-shift.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.